Foreign atheletics imports failed

Status
Not open for further replies.
End of the day, we cannot deny that modern market demands have crept into sports and put it this way in certain countries, being a sportsman is big money. Unfortunately in Singapore, sports is not rated highly as a career path and you may be talented but facing pressure from family and society, you just cannot carry on with being in sports.

A former national coach told me this. To protect his privacy I wont reveal which sport he was coach of as he is still actively in sports. He saw Tang Liang Howe the gentlemen who won the only Olympic medal for us at the gym in the former National Stadium. He said looking at his sorry state, he was thinking to himself..... will that be me when I am old? Reasoning Singapore doesn't take care of its sportsmen and women when they are past their prime.....

thats the sad facts... like FTs... if you are useless in SG, you no more their cup of T...

hence, like your summary, just mine wasn't that well thought... haha...

However what I disagree with and many in the local sporting scene disagree on is this. Our govt's mentatility of success overcoming common sense. To the point that it wants to be number 1 is everything and all it can think of is instant gratification hence the bright idea of offering citizenship to sportsman whom they think can win medals for us. Result is that we end up buying medals and don't u all notice the support for sports have not gone up now that we have FT sportsmen and women winning medals for us but rather it is gone down? Reasoning being very simple, we look at them with disdain and we dont feel at all proud of the wins. In fact we feel embrassed...... Something for the sports council to think about.

SG should just not get those FTs to get them gold in olympics... instead, just send their own people to the game, its the best sportmanship ever.

its not just about winning...

thats the sad facts... like FTs... if you are useless in SG, you no more their cup of T...

hence, like your summary, just mine wasn't that well thought... haha...

SG should just not get those FTs to get them gold in olympics... instead, just send their own people to the game, its the best sportmanship ever.

Sports is one area where I think the wholesale import of FTs is a bad idea.

I believe that Singaporeans are capable people who are able to represent themselves without having to 'import'.

It's a million bloody bucks bro... a million bloody bucks... :bsmilie:

Go Poh Kim buy a OLYMPUS medal lah !!!!!!!!!!! Stop wasting money on this ungrateful FTs.

Can we stop being s-u-c-k-e-rs ?????????

Olympic medal you mean? As far as I know, Olympus is an imaging company... :p

Reality: Singapore just isn't the place to develop world sporting champions - the practicalities of life get in the way, eventually.

Olympic medal you mean? As far as I know, Olympus is an imaging company... :p

Reality: Singapore just isn't the place to develop world sporting champions - the practicalities of life get in the way, eventually.

It was a deliberate punk. :cool:

Poh kim ~ there is another gold shop wif similar name.

it was Singapore flag on Everest, not Malaysia flag.

like i said, every source on the internet quotes him as a singaporean

i'm quite disturbed by this syndrome, this need to put our own country down; when everyone else isn't, we just do it anyways

look, the guy did it for singapore, not his birthplace, home versus birthplace is two different things, and it doens't matter how long you've lived in whatever place

for example, you can date a girl for 10 years and not marry her eventually, but date a girl for 2 months and marry and live happily for rest of life

same thing to me i guess

like i said, every source on the internet quotes him as a singaporean

i'm quite disturbed by this syndrome, this need to put our own country down; when everyone else isn't, we just do it anyways

look, the guy did it for singapore, not his birthplace, home versus birthplace is two different things, and it doens't matter how long you've lived in whatever place

for example, you can date a girl for 10 years and not marry her eventually, but date a girl for 2 months and marry and live happily for rest of life

same thing to me i guess

date for 10 years and no outcome, vs 2 months and have a lifetime commitment...

but that said, money is not a factor in both equation... for sg's point of view in sports is diff... another not relevant example again.

it was Singapore flag on Everest, not Malaysia flag.

yah i know. Singapore sponsored a Malaysian to climb Everest and put that flag there. that is a fact, how people want to read it, none of my business. can only tell you i will be much happier if it was a Singaporean standing on Everest planting that flag, gives meaning to my country's flag. imagine Singapore buys over the entire Man U team and they play in Asia Cup and win the cup. i know Singapore's flag will be flying there, but the people who won it are not Singaporeans, unless they each hold a pink I/C :)

yah i know. Singapore sponsored a Malaysian to climb Everest and put that flag there. that is a fact, how people want to read it, none of my business. can only tell you i will be much happier if it was a Singaporean standing on Everest planting that flag, gives meaning to my country's flag. imagine Singapore buys over the entire Man U team and they play in Asia Cup and win the cup. i know Singapore's flag will be flying there, but the people who won it are not Singaporeans, unless they each hold a pink I/C :)

well, night86mare would be the most happy one... :bsmilie:

I don't advocate wholesale import of sporting talent for short term sporting glory. It sends the wrong message and I think may not be very effective in the end.

However, for those who are already here, sunk roots and who are giving of their best, why all the negative sentiment? All these aspersions cast on their motivations, totally uncalled for. I mean, how many of you can claim to be more than a 2nd or 3rd generation Singaporean? Were your fathers or grandfathers not the original "foreign talents"?

Honestly, take your heads out of the sand and show a little sensitivty to our new citizens.

yucks! why you poo here? :ipuke:

Econo_Poo_gallery.jpg

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

btw, that's fake poo

Status
Not open for further replies.