Food Photographers' Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I'd like to be part of this group but I won't be available this and the following weekend.

As a suggestion though, maybe we can look for food shots from magazines and try to replicate them. Like pouring wine, splashing, dipping or simple arrangements. That way, we can plan which materials to bring as it takes a lot of time to prepare food than to shoot it.

The idea is to learn by copying. Then after that, we experiment with the same materials.

Just some of my thoughts.

Hope you have a good time this weekend!

That's a great suggestion Casio! Will bear that in mind during the discussions. ;)

Thanks for sharing and hope you can join us soon! :cool:

CHEERS!

WOW!

I really didn't think the numbers would build so fast!

Let's cap it at this number max for now.

The reason is simple: too many people and it would be very difficult to really discuss anything or get it going/organised.

For the first meet, I suggest setting the following objectives:

1) Intro ourselves
2) Get to know each other and our shooting levels
3) Discuss what we would like to do and how to go about achieving it, since food shoots involve quite a bit of planning

DATE: This Sunday, 1 Feb 09 (Or you all prefer after all the New Year thingies are over?)
TIME: 3pm -5pm
PLACE: Somewhere near Cityhall (TBC)

Please let me know if this is ok with you, and if you're a smoker (I know a lot of photographers who are smokers).

RSVP

1) DM - OK with this Sunday or after NY
2) AK - Ok with this Sunday or after NY
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

WOW!

The reason is simple: too many people and it would be very difficult to really discuss anything or get it going/organised.

1) Intro ourselves
3) Discuss what we would like to do and how to go about achieving it, since food shoots involve quite a bit of planning

DATE: This Sunday, 1 Feb 09 (Or you all prefer after all the New Year thingies are over?)

Please let me know if this is ok with you, and if you're a smoker (I know a lot of photographers who are smokers).

RSVP

3)
drumma - Ok with this Sunday or after NY (DM, i damn noob one lei. Only good at eating. :p)

4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

WOW!

1) Intro ourselves

RSVP

3) drumma - Ok with this Sunday or after NY (DM, i damn noob one lei. Only good at eating. :p)
4) LOTUSfairy - Ok with this Sunday
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

WOW!

1) Intro ourselves

RSVP

3) drumma - Ok with this Sunday or after NY (DM, i damn noob one lei. Only good at eating. :p)
5)OasisG - ok with Sun but can i just tentatively put ok for this meet up? Would definitely love to meet up.
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

Last edited:
WOW!

1) Intro ourselves

RSVP

5)OasisG - can i just tentatively put ok for this meet up? Would definitely love to meet up.
6) Royaux - TBC (pending bail:sweatsm:)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

WOW!

1) Intro ourselves

RSVP

5)OasisG - can i just tentatively put ok for this meet up? Would definitely love to meet up.
7) Peztilent - Sat or Sun also can (after tis week cannot confirm liao)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

RSVP

8) hanqiang1011 - Got personally commitment to attend to
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

RSVP

9)LeGoZ
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

RSVP

3) drumma - Ok with this Sunday or after NY (DM, i damn noob one lei. Only good at eating. )
6) Royaux - TBC (pending bail)
9)LeGoZ
10)Macrolandscape - fine with sunday. i wanna eat..
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

RSVP

3) drumma - Ok with this Sunday or after NY (DM, i damn noob one lei. Only good at eating. )
9)LeGoZ
11) denniskee
12) peterpan1975
13)
14)
15)

edit : dm, u need light stands? i can bring 2 if u want.

Last edited:
Hi Hi Denniskee,

Good to see you here.

First meeting is discuss plans and try to find ways to do things. Not shooting yet.

ATE: This Sunday, 1 Feb 09 (Or you all prefer after all the New Year thingies are over?)

RSVP

9)LeGoZ
11) denniskee
12) peterpan1975
13) miketan
14)
15)

have a place if need 2 in bugis ( no charge )

RSVP

3) LOTUSfairy - Ok with this Sunday
4)OasisG - can i just tentatively put ok for this meet up? Would definitely love to meet up.
5) Royaux - TBC (pending bail)
6) Peztilent - Sat or Sun also can (after tis week cannot confirm liao)
7) hanqiang1011 - Got personally commitment to attend to
8)LeGoZ
9)Macrolandscape - fine with sunday. i wanna eat..
10) denniskee
11) peterpan1975
12) miketan
13)
14)

15)

have a place if need 2 in bugis ( no charge )
drumma: paiseh, have to miss this cos kana last min arrow. Actually i was thinking if we could have something online to read regarding food photography so that everyone has a rough idea of what to expect? Like shooting in studio, environmental, diff ways of handling like how to shoot ice creams, foods? What lightings to expect, and DI too? And what sort of photographs are we looking at, etc..

I won't be able to join but for the meeting this weekend, but I suggest the following agenda:
1. don't bring any gear for now
2. Bring pics you shot, from magazines, from online, etc.. the more the merrier
3. choose 1-3 you like best.
4. study them and try to identify the kind of lighting used, food materials, etc.
5. set another meeting, bring the gear and food materials you need then shoot.

drumma: paiseh, have to miss this cos kana last min arrow. Actually i was thinking if we could have something online to read regarding food photography so that everyone has a rough idea of what to expect? Like shooting in studio, environmental, diff ways of handling like how to shoot ice creams, foods? What lightings to expect, and DI too? And what sort of photographs are we looking at, etc..

No worries Drumma, there will be other meets.

Actually there is already a wealth of information online. One thingt great about our western counterparts is that they share information freely.

I suggest that every one interested do some research on the net first. Look for thye specific area that you're interested in, e.g., how to light, how to shoot desserts etc. I understand that sometimes, without prior experience, some of the information may sound 'foreign' to us, but that way, when we get together, we would have a basic understanding (at least of information, if not practical) and can have specific things to discuss.

At this point, could I ask participants to let me know their shooting proficiency levels and understanding of light. If you're not sure, just send me a few samples of food/product/still life shots you have done. Please send info and samples to: a_d_m_photography@yahoo.co.uk[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Please don't worry - I'm not asking for this information to judge, but to get an idea of where the group is in general, and as mentioned earlier, what and how to plan. This is also in-line with my vision of starting a group that is mutually sharing and interactive, so that we can all learn from each other in one way or another, as well as share resources and shoot better food photographs!

It would also give me an idea of the knowledge and proficiency levels of participants and how and what to plan for future meets and shoots.

Drumma, I've seen your commercial work before (the orange drink or blood orange slice?). Would you like to contribute in the area of sharing your knowledge of studio lighting?

I won't be able to join but for the meeting this weekend, but I suggest the following agenda:
1. don't bring any gear for now
2. Bring pics you shot, from magazines, from online, etc.. the more the merrier
3. choose 1-3 you like best.
4. study them and try to identify the kind of lighting used, food materials, etc.
5. set another meeting, bring the gear and food materials you need then shoot.

Thanks for the tips Casio. Great points! :thumbsup:

As mentioned earlier, the first meet is to get to know each othe better, and with that, also what we're working with in terms of proficiency levels and resources.

Miketan888 has generously offered a place, and I've just sent him a PM to discuss. As we all know, having a place to meet and more specifically, shoot, is one of the biggest problems. More 'serious' food shoots actually requires quite a bit of space on the whole.

What I would suggest for now, is for everyone to help me by responding to my above request for info, and also to bring ONE food photo they really love, and ONE they think is bad. This would be to study and discuss. *

If getting hard copy is diffucult (color reproduction is important), I could bring along a dinosaur Toshiba laptop with examples. Just bring your examples on a memory card or thumbdrive. If anyone wants to volunteer a better laptop or a macbook, that would be fantastic!

* Hint: Google 'Food Photographer' and lots of results will come up. ;)

If you have time, I would also strongly encourage everyone to start researching and reading about different types of cuisines and dishes from different countries. It's a fascinating world to be discovered!

Also Google: 'How to photograph food', and just to whet your appetites, have a look at these vids!

[vid]9HMAHlqm4GU[/vid]

Her lighting is seductively simple, and so is her camera!

[vid]MLNtE2AN9qI&feature=related[/vid]

[vid]fnL-6-tnc44&feature=related[/vid]

[vid]7L-HCgFnOLk&feature=related[/vid]

[vid]liNdsEbWCmY&feature=related[/vid]

[vid]QLDzgvCjnkw&feature=related[/vid]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.