Focusing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowpartner

Mar 14, 2009
Hey , I don't know if only D60 has this problem because my friend's d40 reports no such problem.But my d60 and the school's d60 both have this problem.
Sometimes , the camera cannot AF . The object is not too near .it blurs-clear and then blurs again,after which if i press the shutter,nothing will happen.This can be quite irritating as sometimes me and my friends miss shots because of this.

Anybody care to enlighten weather if its hardware(doubt so) or do i need to tweak some settings?

its called AF hunting.

Care to explain more and elaborate?Don't really understand.Googled already.

AF-hunting is a layman term of explaining the action of the lens, when it focus-es in and out, to try to AF.

some of the times it happens due to:
1. Low lighting
2. Subject being too close.

For 1, you cant help it if its really low light. but from your woes, it doesnt seem the case.
For 2, go google on minimum focusing distance for lens. Read the specs of your lens, and see what is the minimum focusing distance of it. anything below that distance, you will nt be able to have the focus lock on to the subject.

luntut is correct for his point #2 for your case here.

Check the minimum focusing distance for your lens.
Apart from that and what has been mentioned, AF locks on contrast patterns (lines, grid etc.) - if the object doesn't have anything distinctive then AF will 'hunt'. Get more light or switch to manual focusing. Alternatively, flashlights have an red AF assist beam. This emits a red pattern which helps the AF to lock. But I'm not sure if your camera can be set to "Only use AF assist beam, don't fire flash". Your manual will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.