Focus Problem or shaking problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed! Spend some money on books (or cheaper option: google). Then take your time to explore these 3 options for a start: shutter speed, ISO and f-stop. Once you understand the relationship abt these 3, then you are on your way to taking good pics. But it could be a long process. Be patient, and I'm sure you will catch on the BBB virus very soon! :devil:

Your money will be well spent on some books on basics of photography.

I agree totally. Currently main purpose is to take shot of my newborn baby to capture the moments and memory. Tied down with work thus no time to go source for a good book not to mention reading one. But Baby will continue growing and time wont wait for me.But however I definitely will get one in near future to understand more and to increase my knowledge.

Agreed! Spend some money on books (or cheaper option: google). Then take your time to explore these 3 options for a start: shutter speed, ISO and f-stop. Once you understand the relationship abt these 3, then you are on your way to taking good pics. But it could be a long process. Be patient, and I'm sure you will catch on the BBB virus very soon! :devil:

Oh, Google will definitely be a good alternative to books.....Will touch on that soon.
All of you have been very very helpful.

Why spend money on books? :)

I learnt bags of stuff from the photography books readily available in the National Library ;)

To summarise the problem, I assume the issue here is nothing to do with the 'Focus' thing. So getting a Sigma Lens will still not solve my issue here right? (Well at least I learn something new on the subject once focus will have a green light below to indicate which I will explore this when I get home)

Thus the root of the problem here is the Shutter Speed which I will need to do some studies on that. As well as to find out more about the 'Thumb Rule' posted by someone earlier.

Thank you all.

Your current pic is due to shutter speed. But diff situation requires diff strategy. Eg. low light situation, your shutter speed can be fast but still it will turn out dark.

Or another situation you take group photo. You try to focus, but only the centre person's face is clear, the rest all look blurry.

This is what I meant by knowing the relationship bt shutter speed, ISO and f-stop.

I think meanwhile, you should take your pictures using the Program mode (P mode in short), shoot in RAW, then adjust for lighting using the software. Until you learn how to take manual setting pictures.

well it is possible to have no handshake blurs at 1/10s or 1/6s and it is also possible to have the entire photo of focus.
TS do u wear specs?

well it is possible to have no handshake blurs at 1/10s or 1/6s and it is also possible to have the entire photo of focus.
TS do u wear specs?

Yes, as someone mention to use tripod. and entire focus is not the idea as I wan the focus to be on Baby only with the Bokeh feeling thus open the F @ 1.8....If wan whole picture to be clear then close the hole smaller if I am not wrong.

Yes I do wear Spec.

Just hike up ur ISO. You're using ISO 100, make it 400, if still shakes then 800, 1000, etc thus increasing the shutter. Nothing wrong with your lens, etc. Getting a tripod wouldn't really help due to the slow shutter, the baby would have moved during that time, causing more shakes. I can shoot well in dim hotel environment, etc using high iso. Shutter 1/30 1/40 (I can hold that) 1/80 etc are good.
Shoot around f2 f2.5, f2.8 up till f4 in dim lighting, anymore I don't think you can hold it. Again if the shutter is too slow, then hike up the iso till you get it.

Why spend money on books? :)

I learnt bags of stuff from the photography books readily available in the National Library ;)

ya lor. free @library but some titles cannot find. books on photography always easily over S$50 one. v ex. wonder where can rent?:bsmilie:

Just hike up ur ISO. You're using ISO 100, make it 400, if still shakes then 800, 1000, etc thus increasing the shutter. Nothing wrong with your lens, etc. Getting a tripod wouldn't really help due to the slow shutter, the baby would have moved during that time, causing more shakes. I can shoot well in dim hotel environment, etc using high iso. Shutter 1/30 1/40 (I can hold that) 1/80 etc are good.
Shoot around f2 f2.5, f2.8 up till f4 in dim lighting, anymore I don't think you can hold it. Again if the shutter is too slow, then hike up the iso till you get it.

Jacking up the ISO cause the picture to be Grainy/Noisy.

Jacking up the ISO cause the picture to be Grainy/Noisy.

Yes, but you need to have some form of high ISO if you want to freeze motion under indoor lighting, which is very dim. Most cameras have very usable ISO up to ISO 800.

You can't possibly be shooting ISO 100 all the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.