Flower

cheesy

Aug 31, 2010
294050p.jpg

**Kindly ignore the title when you give critique, do not link the photo with the thread title.**

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, Colour etc. I'm open to all.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Something that is generally pleasing to the eye.

3. What did I do to the picture?
PP it to Focal B&W.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Flower looks sharp, Bokeh/DOF. When I PP it to Focal B&W it really brings out the flower making it "bloom" and "glow".

Firstly, what is your rationale in the statement "Kindly ignore the title when you give critique, do not link the photo with the thread title."? Personally, this does not go down well with me because to me, it implies you did not bother to give the entire photo sufficient thought. The title is about as important as the photo itself- it can add additional meaning or contextualise the photo for the viewer. Don't take it for granted.

Processing-wise, I felt the selective desaturation was sloppy, there are smudges of green around the coat button flower.

The photo could have used a much tighter crop as well. The dead space on the left and right of the flower is simply too much.

I sound harsh, but please take this in good faith.

Hope this helps.
AC

The crop could have been tighter to fill more of the frame, the DOF seems ok but the post-processing looks a bit weird. There is this feathered patch of green around the flower which makes it look a little weird. The selective colouring post-processing could have been more distinct to just include the flower.

On top of what has already been said,

try reading up on the rules of thirds.

And would be nicer if it was a full flower, not one that is as beaten up as this.

And would be nicer if it was a full flower, not one that is as beaten up as this.

- I was thinking about the same thing. Why this flower?!! It is not the most beautiful or even average looking flower.

- The subject is too small in comparison to the frame.

- Even though the background is faded, it is still distracting. Perhaps you have increased the contrast for the background?

- Desaturated are is awful. Why you have done it this way???!! Why?!! :)