Flash, what to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoricko

May 25, 2008
Singapore
I've never thought I'll ever get an external flash. What flash should I get and what are the terms? Like speedlite 580 and all those funny stuff. I plan to use it for portraits and maybe events. Whats the difference between a diffuser and a light-sphere* thingy?

Thanks (btw i'm using a Nikon D90)

580EX is a Canon flash, for Nikon theres SB-900, SB-800, SB-600 etc.. A diffuser is a general term for light modifiers that you can add onto the flash, a lightsphere is a specific type of diffuser..

So there are multiple type of diffusers? Which should I get, 600-800-900? Thanks a lot :)

Whats the difference between strobe/speed light? What are they mainly used for?

alot of the question you are asking, can be simply answered by google-ing...

i will help with the diffuser part, the most common ones are stofen omnibounce, gary fong's lightsphere and whaletail... not to forget a simple DIY bounce card...

each got their advantages and disadvantages, once again, google it for details...

google solved some but not all :p

flash is a strobe light, a sudden burst of bright light. and canon call their flash 'speedlite' while nikon call their 'speedlight'

as for light diffuser and bounce card.

all round light spreader are omnibounce difuser and GF/lambency lightsphere(LS) - good for indoor where light is spread thru out the room and bounce all around, perform poor in outdoor as there are no ceilling or wall to bounce the light, use more battery power to properly lit your shots compared to direct flash

directional light thrower will be bounce card DIY/demi pro/ABBC good for out door when there are no surface to bounce light off, amount of light throw depend on the size of the card surface and the angle of the card(for demi pro - adjustable angle) the card will soften the light on your subject abit but not alot depending on your card surface and angle. indoor shots tend to produce harsher light compare to omnibounce/LS as the light source is directional

google solved some but not all :p

THEN SEARCH...

These topics have appeared all over this forum one way or another.... go hunt around and you'll GET ALL the answers you need

Status
Not open for further replies.