flash recommendation

Mar 20, 2012
Hi Guys

Want to up grade my flash for macro shoot.My list is ether two set of nissin 822 mark ii or one sb900 + sb700. What's your suggestion ? Or, if you have other recommendation that will be really appreciate.

Thanks !

For macro, LED lights are great.

Hacker said:
For macro, LED lights are great.

Thanks for your reply . Do you have any specific recommendation ?

Hacker said:
Rotolights and Litepanels.

Thanks for your reply. I am wondering why don't recommend flash?

If you want flash than go ahead, But you do not need to spend crazy money and buy the silly Nikon SB's (spend you money on Lenses) ...you can just get some cheap manual Youngnou or what ever as long as you can control the light output...Or, get some nice studio flash system or a Cononmark or AB, etc...The LED lights are cheap and will give you a better idea what your lighting will look like than the flash...:cool:

george671 said:
If you want flash than go ahead, But you do not need to spend crazy money and buy the silly Nikon SB's (spend you money on Lenses) ...you can just get some cheap manual Youngnou or what ever as long as you can control the light output...Or, get some nice studio flash system or a Cononmark or AB, etc...The LED lights are cheap and will give you a better idea what your lighting will look like than the flash...:cool:

yup, I agree with you that save money for lens. But Nikon flash got CLS right . Is it useful and helpful when doing macro ?

For me, no...I am a studio and lighting person from way back...I do all my lighting manually...To my knowledge, all or most studio pro lighting gear is manually set...None of it is automatic...The CLS system may be a nice feature for some but for many its just a toy...Many folks end up manually adjusting their stobes about 50% of the time anyway, even when they have cls...Why can't you just buy some daylight corrected flouresent bulbs and practice your lighting technique for a while??? Or better yet, meet up with someone and get them to teach you some good proceedures for micro/macro lighting.. and also just google it and or chk flikr as well.:cool:

george671 said:
For me, no...I am a studio and lighting person from way back...I do all my lighting manually...To my knowledge, all or most studio pro lighting gear is manually set...None of it is automatic...The CLS system may be a nice feature for some but for many its just a toy...Many folks end up manually adjusting their stobes about 50% of the time anyway, even when they have cls...Why can't you just buy some daylight corrected flouresent bulbs and practice your lighting technique for a while??? Or better yet, meet up with someone and get them to teach you some good proceedures for micro/macro lighting.. and also just google it and or chk flikr as well.:cool:

Thanks for your reply. Your suggestion will be very helpful to me. I have little knowledge about the lighting technique. That's why I trouble you again and again. Really appreciate your patient !

Thanks for your reply. Your suggestion will be very helpful to me. I have little knowledge about the lighting technique. That's why I trouble you again and again. Really appreciate your patient !

With continuous lights such as LED, fluorescent, etc, no need much knowledge compared to manually setting studio lights or manual strobes.