First Lifestyle shoot

ArcticPhantasma

Oct 30, 2010
1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I will like feedback on the composition and the use of directional light and if i should use a narrower aperture (shot at f/2.8) or a different lens (shot with a 85mm). I use Lightroom and photoshop

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To make the model look beautiful with that slight edgy slook

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I took this picture while it was cloudy and just had a softbox to the left

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Personally, I like this picture because i feel it is ok to my view but i feel there is something lacking in it and the composition is just standard to me, nothing special. I sort of like how she is lit but dont know how to make it better

what kind of lifestyle are you portraying?

personally it does not look edgy to me. u may want to work on the styling, lighting, makeup, etc.

lighting wise seems decent. maybe u want to avoid shooting with straight lines at the back unless its corrected. otherwise it looks teeny bit distracting.

model needs to do something other than putting her hands at the back, smiling and crossing her legs. looks like something u shoot with a friend on a outing. nothing wrong with shooting that way but its abit too sterile and clinical to me.

Model hair falling on forehead and covering one eye.

She don't know how to pose and you too. Can cross legs but don't lean back against the wall which push her leg fat up creating those extra bumps around the outer sides of both legs. Plus if this is a real fashion house clients' clothes you risk dirtying it unnecessary.

If you want edgy you need more contrasty light. Use a smaller softbox or pull it back 2-3 feet more. And kill the ambient.

There is no edge here.
The expression suits more of a soft image than a hard/edgy one.

And there is no reason to use a small aperture. There will be no bokeh.
A f8 would work nicely here.

I'm sure the model is a friend and no experience in modelling. If you are venturing into this types of shoots, you will meet alot of people like this.
It's up to you to take care of every detail that they are not aware of.

On the whole, it looks pleasing, mainly because the model is chio.

I kinda find the light a little bit too harsh..meaning im guessing the lighting is pointed directly onto the model..

kinda overexposed the model's skin color..it will definitely look better if model have more blusher and bronze color make-up on to have a more defined 3-d look on the face..the left nose bridge looked a little blending into the face..

i agree with JasonB that the model should not be leaning against anything..she will look more 'slimmer' standing. u may try next time having the model's lower body about 45 degree to either side, and upper body from hips up to be facing the camera.

:) my 2cts worth

There is no edge here.
The expression suits more of a soft image than a hard/edgy one.

And there is no reason to use a small aperture. There will be no bokeh.
A f8 would work nicely here.

I'm sure the model is a friend and no experience in modelling. If you are venturing into this types of shoots, you will meet alot of people like this.
It's up to you to take care of every detail that they are not aware of.

On the whole, it looks pleasing, mainly because the model is chio.

So by that you mean shoot at f8 rather than f2 since there isnt going to be any bokeh in the background in the first place?

Yea it was my friend and i have very little experience working with people posing infront of the camera.

Btw when you said "this types of shoots" do you mean like lifestyle shoots or taking pictures of people who dont know how to pose?

Thanks for your input though :)

I kinda find the light a little bit too harsh..meaning im guessing the lighting is pointed directly onto the model..

kinda overexposed the model's skin color..it will definitely look better if model have more blusher and bronze color make-up on to have a more defined 3-d look on the face..the left nose bridge looked a little blending into the face..

i agree with JasonB that the model should not be leaning against anything..she will look more 'slimmer' standing. u may try next time having the model's lower body about 45 degree to either side, and upper body from hips up to be facing the camera.

:) my 2cts worth

Actually the softbox was aiming down at her on the left side of the frame rather then being pointed directly.
She is also really fair and thats actually her actual skin tone!

Now that you and JasonB mention about leaning and the leg fat, i see it. didnt think or know about it at all. Thanks for the advice. Will have to work on posing more. Thanks for your thoughts :)