FIRST DSLR!! Full Frame / APS-C / m43 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since buying a new system why choose Nikon 1 when you can get m4/3 which has more lenses and bigger sensor? M4/3 size can even be smaller than Nikon.

Since buying a new system why choose Nikon 1 when you can get m4/3 which has more lenses and bigger sensor? M4/3 size can even be smaller than Nikon.

There are many different factors. Price being one of them. Nikon 1 lenses are very much cheaper. And some Nikon 1 cam bodies are very cheap as well.

Does a bigger sensor automatically mean better image quality? Answer is no. And is image quality the sole criteria on how good a camera is? Answer is no. There are so much more than image quality. As long as a system passes the "good enough" level of IQ in a person's requirements, the other factors will matter more.

There are a lot other reason some might be interested in the Nikon 1 system. For folks using Nikon F mounts, or folks who need the waterproof AW version. Not everyone needs many lenses. Just look at most users of any system, how many lenses do they really use much? 2-4 max usually.

In the end, different people have different needs. Will prefer different systems. But to start bad mouthing a system without real use or knowledge, that is just ignorance talking.

Last edited:

Disclaimer : I use MFT & Fuji Mirrorless mostly & I have not bought into the Nikon V/J system. I've used the Pentax Q system before if it's all about sensor size.

Sensor size only counts for so much when deciding IQ or DOF. As daredevil have shared some of his photos using the V1, a question can be : how much does one's equipment count in an image ?

Well, probably the guy in the shop will vehemently argue the bigger the sensor the bigger (there's another cute thread that clarified the fallacy that the bigger the lens barrel the better ).

Learn to work around one's equipment , chasing sensor size is akin to chasing megapixels nowadays in my humble opinion. Going for FF is obviously one's choice , but I hope it's because one has worked out one's equipment till one knows this is needed , not due to the notion of the bigger it is, the bigger it should be.

Anyway , going out of point Liao, TS was deciding between APS-C and FF.
Let's get back to the topic.

Last edited:

And some FF mirrorless cameras are smaller than m43 bodies. #justsaying

And larger sensor does mean better image quality, all else being equal. Better image quality in terms of high iso noise, dynamic range and sharpness to some degree. As well as having the potential flexibility of depth of field control.

But still, like some have said, it's the 30cm behind the camera that counts.

And larger sensor does mean better image quality, all else being equal. Better image quality in terms of high iso noise, dynamic range and sharpness to some degree. As well as having the potential flexibility of depth of field control.

That is not an absolute. Because all else is never equal.

Anyway , going out of point Liao, TS was deciding between APS-C and FF.
Let's get back to the topic.

Actually... When I created this tread to get more advices, I didn't look into the M4/3 system... If possible, i would really add M4/3 into my title as ever since more and more suggestion of M4/3, it got me thinking about it and I have narrow down my choices to the Olympus OMD EM1 & Fujifilm XT1... (After I went to Funan and met with Keith, I kena poison kao kao... Nowadays, dreaming also about the cameras hahaha...)

Is it still possible to edit the title??

Actually... When I created this tread to get more advices, I didn't look into the M4/3 system... If possible, i would really add M4/3 into my title as ever since more and more suggestion of M4/3, it got me thinking about it and I have narrow down my choices to the Olympus OMD EM1 & Fujifilm XT1... (After I went to Funan and met with Keith, I kena poison kao kao... Nowadays, dreaming also about the cameras hahaha...)

Is it still possible to edit the title??

Done.

After almost 7 pages of comments and advice, I really suggest that you rent out the shortlisted camera and see if you really like it. Comparing numbers online won't help too much when you are using it on the field if you don't like the operation of the camera.

Actually... When I created this tread to get more advices, I didn't look into the M4/3 system... If possible, i would really add M4/3 into my title as ever since more and more suggestion of M4/3, it got me thinking about it and I have narrow down my choices to the Olympus OMD EM1 & Fujifilm XT1... (After I went to Funan and met with Keith, I kena poison kao kao... Nowadays, dreaming also about the cameras hahaha...) Is it still possible to edit the title??

It's good u have finally done a shortlist - both are top tier cameras in their respective brands and in the semi-pro world with their various strengths.

For example the EM1 will win in AF speed while the XT1 is supposed to have better focus tracking (C-AF) and it's a quite substantial list of differences which I won't list here.

Lenses wise MFT will still have the advantage with ranges from 14mm-600mm all covered and with fast aperture zooms and superb primes too. Having enough money to buy them is the prob. Fuji is slowly building up its lens base with the 10-24mm just released too.

The best is to try out these 2 cameras and decide which is more to your liking. U can't go wrong with either camera honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.