First attempt in portraits

swordy84

Dec 7, 2013
Singapore
www.cfhophotography.com
Hi, I just started shooting portraits and here are some of my pictures. Let me know your views so that I can improve more next time. Thanks!

11265965025_2591011919_b.jpg

11266053974_d3a122fe29_b.jpg

11253484824_8746f4e175_b.jpg

11253554534_4fee3012d8_b.jpg

11253441916_f6b8394c3a_b.jpg

Last edited:
are you the one who use olympus OM-D?

if this is your first attempt,:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

color combination between background and subject lack of uniformity which does not blend into the feeling.

Not bad. The next step is to try to compose off center.

oh, you are the one with 700D.

nice to meet you, and nice picture you took :)

Yup, nice to meet you too. Thanks!

if this is your first attempt,:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

color combination between background and subject lack of uniformity which does not blend into the feeling.

Thanks! Oh you mean the color of the background and subject is not consistent? Care to elaborate more on what to take note next time? Thanks.

Not bad. The next step is to try to compose off center.

Thanks! Will try to compose off center next time.

#3 (furry boots with brick wall) Did you shoot wide open as well? The subject's face is out of focus whereas her knees are sharply defined...

#3 (furry boots with brick wall) Did you shoot wide open as well? The subject's face is out of focus whereas her knees are sharply defined...

Yes it was shoot wide open. So do you mean I need to shoot with a smaller aperture for such full body shot? Thanks.

Yes it was shoot wide open. So do you mean I need to shoot with a smaller aperture for such full body shot? Thanks.

No. Focus on the eyes. This is portrait photography tip number 1 in every "beginning portrait photography" book, online lesson, etc out there.

No. Focus on the eyes. This is portrait photography tip number 1 in every "beginning portrait photography" book, online lesson, etc out there.

Oh ok noted, will remember this next time. Thanks for the advice.

What he mean the subject's leg is sharper than the face. It means if you focus correctly, her face should be sharper than the leg.

I see, will take note of this next time. Thanks.

compose by selecting the active AF point to be on the subjects eye.
else don't shoot wide open.

there is almost no benefit to shoot wide open if there isn't any background very far away. this is particularly true if the background is a wall the subject is leaning against

take a look at this picture

It has uniformity in color between the subject and background.
Brown color, subject attire is brown, even the ring is brown, therefore suit the brown background.

Hmm.. the link doesn't work for me.

compose by selecting the active AF point to be on the subjects eye.
else don't shoot wide open.

there is almost no benefit to shoot wide open if there isn't any background very far away. this is particularly true if the background is a wall the subject is leaning against

Thanks for the golden advice, I get it now.

Thanks to all the experts here, really learn a lot. :)