Finger print on Canon 550D lens

i vote this "a very epic thread".

:thumbsup:

ts - yes just go to CSC and tell them you want your lens to be wiped (dont use the word clean else they may dismantle your lens). they wont charge you for it.

as for the type and brand of filters, lenspen, microfibre cloth, lens solution cleaner, just go down to john 3:16 or cathay and they will recommend a whole suite of solution for you. and yes they will charge you for it.

p.s. you really sound like you need a nanny to hold your hand.

your recommendation is not bad.

whatever it is, dun buy the cheapo tokina uv filter! its actually just a glass with no coating and gives horrible ghosting effects during night shots (when u shoot against lights), i dun have such problems using Hoya Pro1 digital series! :eek:

Alright, thanks for the feedback.

next time my laptop got lizard droppings i will send it to asus for cleaning.

ts, fingerprint is small small small small thing. it is so small thing that i don't know what to say to your idea that you have to send the whole lens in for cleaning.

just wipe it with a soft microfibre cloth after using a blower on it.

i think the poor canon technicians will be struggling to keep their faces straight if you send your lens in for cleaning because "someone left a fingerprint on it".

Lol, you made me laugh. Ok, I got it now. It's just that it's the first time that I got a fingerprint and my camera and lens is only 19 days old!

Depends on the sales person.

And a so-called reputable shop at the ground floor of SLS WILL actually recommend you to buy Vitacon filters.

Anyways, if TS is paranoid, you could do with a hood too.
It will prevent some accidents when people brush pass you and also reduce flare and thus improving the contrast of your images.

Personally, I don't normally use filters for my lenses, just hoods.

Alright, I shall give a try to hood. What shape of hood is best for a Canon 18-55mm Kit lens? Also, what brand of hood should I get (if it makes any difference)?

TS, after you get your lens cleaned, get yourself a lens hood and keep it on when you are shooting. Will help to avoid such 'accidents' in the future.

Yes, thinking of buying myself a hood tomorrow. Again, what shape of hood is best for a Canon 18-55mm Kit lens? And, what brand of hood should I get (if it makes any difference)?

:thumbsup:

ts - yes just go to CSC and tell them you want your lens to be wiped (dont use the word clean else they may dismantle your lens). they wont charge you for it.

as for the type and brand of filters, lenspen, microfibre cloth, lens solution cleaner, just go down to john 3:16 or cathay and they will recommend a whole suite of solution for you. and yes they will charge you for it.

p.s. you really sound like you need a nanny to hold your hand.

Okay, I shall go to CSC tomorrow to get the lens wiped. Hope they won't charge me.

Last edited:
Okay, I shall go to CSC tomorrow to get the lens wiped. Hope they won't charge me.

Hmm.. interesting, after all the advices that you needn't go to CSC to wipe the lens, you are still going ahead with it.

Oh well, its your time. But I really think you baby the equipment too much, trust me, it will go through more than a fingerprint in future (that is if you are even willing to risk bringing it outdoors).

Yes, thinking of buying myself a hood tomorrow. Again, what shape of hood is best for a Canon 18-55mm Kit lens? And, what brand of hood should I get (if it makes any difference)?

Just go to a store and ask for a hood for your 18-55 lens. Look at the suggestions, put it on and check at 18mm at the largest aperture and see if there is any vignetting. Get the biggest hood that do not vignette.