Financial advice .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Means i cant even be hired as a backup photographer ?

guys. anyone missing a point?

he is under 16 years old. legally i dun think u can hire him to work for u. even as part time on holidays.

I think minimum age for "part time light work" is 13, but I can't confirm.

Edit: Included link. Do correct me if interpretation is incorrect.
http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/communities/workplace_standards/employment_standards0/Employment_of_Children_and_Young_Persons.html

Last edited:
guys. anyone missing a point?

he is under 16 years old. legally i dun think u can hire him to work for u. even as part time on holidays.
then again it could be 14. and he would be allowed. but i dun think anyone will wanna risk it.

i'll give u an advice. focus on ur studies. dun try and go out and shoot as a so called "professional" photographer.

i tried myself and i am not going back again. there will always be ppl who try to fleece u, by saying help me shoot 100 apparels as product photography and they say give u nil dollars, not even coffee money, asks u to give up all the rights and will spare 2-3 photos for ur port folio. if tats wad u want so be it. i'm just speaking from my own experience.

even when i tried to run a sch mini studio shoot, i only ran 2 hours long, and total revenue was abt... wad. 200 bucks? i had to deliver the photos so its stressful, and i charged cheaply (which i regretted), and all proceeds go to charity. its not easy to do as work. i rather be doing macdonals or construction work (which i do as part time), than try out photography.

u need a portfolio first. and u dun build portfolios by shooting for ppl. u shoot them urself.

then u have to understand creative directions, lights, etc.

and point to note. sometimes charging cheaply isnt helping matters. product photography eg u charge 1 pic 5 bucks. think abt the other stuff. ur own equipment time etc. is it worth it? charging cheaper dun mean u produce sub quality work. if u do i rather u dun shoot at all. pay peanuts get monkeys. but ur client will never return to u again.

what i suggest: try approach ur sch's cca. and try see if u can run some events for the sch. dun think so far out, start small.

tats my 2 cents. hope it helps.

I wasnt happy to hear your experience with photography for money . If this is what you suggest , I want to ask if besides this . What else can i do to get some income to cover the cost of new equipments and loans ( from my parents - i know its is LOL ) . How ?

I think minimum age for "part time light work" is 13, but I can't confirm.

Edit: Included link. Do correct me if interpretation is incorrect.
http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/communities/workplace_standards/employment_standards0/Employment_of_Children_and_Young_Persons.html

Thanks anyway .

what can you do as a backup photographer in the first place?

Build up my portfolio , and gain more commercial experience , and also to kill time in the holidays ? What else can i do ?

I wasnt happy to hear your experience with photography for money . If this is what you suggest , I want to ask if besides this . What else can i do to get some income to cover the cost of new equipments and loans ( from my parents - i know its is LOL ) . How ?

1)Pay by instalments
2)Work as flyer distributor
3)Work at Macdonalds
4)Borrow from Ah long(loanshark)
5)Don't upgrade

Build up my portfolio , and gain more commercial experience , and also to kill time in the holidays ? What else can i do ?

I think you should join outings organized by members(Common ones are Zerocoolastra/Dingaroo/Stevewhy/Me)to kill time during the June holidays and gain some tips and experience:)

P.S I'm one year older than you;p

Last edited:

Manage your expectations.

Doing odd photography jobs for a month is hardly sufficient to fund your new purchases, more so given your apparent lack of experience. A more feasible option is to take some part time job that provides a relatively steady income (fast food restaurant, flyer etc.)

Having said that, I think your parents would rather take the month to focus on studies. Ultimately, photography is a hobby and something is not right if you have to struggle to finance it.

at the end of the day, I think what I recommended in the 2nd post is still a good way forward for you
my advice to you is:

- join your school photographic club/society if there is one and learn and experiment with your fellows, shooting school events and other activities
- your equipment is very versatile and of pretty good quality already... learn to squeeze all possible quality out of it before buying more
- don't feel the pressure to get better and more expensive equipment, and thus the need to find money to buy and buy... it will never end
- go out and enjoy shooting in June... shoot with your equipment as much as you can and you will learn more about photography :)

I think you should join outings organized by members(Common ones are Zerocoolastra/Dingaroo/Stevewhy/Me)to kill time during the June holidays:)

P.S I'm one year older than you;p

add me in? LOL. all is abt sec 3 sec 4 i take it:bsmilie:

as far as i can tell u, i work for so long as part time construction worker, my pay for 2 months is just enough to get me a tago tech product studio kit.

as to how i finance the rest? edusave scholar bursary award. it drops 500 bucks in ur pockets for being the 10% percent in ur sch. i think.

i got the improvement award. purposely let results flunk then pull till sky high. :bsmilie: 200 bucks. find it easier to get than top 10% i hate schs with smart ppl

at the end of the day, I think what I recommended in the 2nd post is still a good way forward for you

and i agree with him. no point joining the buy buy buy craze. i know u see ppl with L lens danm sexy. but point being is i dun need an L lens to shoot photographs. neither do u. u have a versatile lens covering a good range. as to being backup photographer, i do not think ur equipment can keep up. most of them are using really fast lenses and even faster bodies. its hard to keep up.

just start slow. there are gazlions of stuff to do. dun turn something u like into work and eventually hate it. cause its not easy.

oh yes. learn photoshop. u need it.

as far as i can tell u, i work for so long as part time construction worker, my pay for 2 months is just enough to get me a tago tech product studio kit.

as to how i finance the rest? edusave scholar bursary award. it drops 500 bucks in ur pockets for being the 10% percent in ur sch. i think.

i got the improvement award. purposely let results flunk then pull till sky high. :bsmilie: 200 bucks. find it easier to get than top 10% i hate schs with smart ppl

Wah, serious? A construction worker at your age?

Wah, serious? A construction worker at your age?

YES. poor me. bo bian wad. dad owns the company. drags me in and pays me 20 bucks a day :cool:

so far i been painting walls, doing skirting, plastering walls, fixing toiletbowls (yes i can even cement it to the ground and install it nice), drill cut chop hammer smash glue break bash.

on the plus side, i get time off to go sch as and when i need to during the hols

YES. poor me. bo bian wad. dad owns the company. drags me in and pays me 20 bucks a day :cool:

so far i been painting walls, doing skirting, plastering walls, fixing toiletbowls (yes i can even cement it to the ground and install it nice), drill cut chop hammer smash glue break bash.

Ah ok, overseen by parent is another matter. Anyway, like I commented on another thread, if purpose of earning money is finance hobby, cannot be considered poor. :)

But nonetheless, good on you to earn instead of waiting for handout.

Ah ok, overseen by parent is another matter. Anyway, like I commented on another thread, if purpose of earning money is finance hobby, cannot be considered poor. :)

But nonetheless, good on you to earn instead of waiting for handout.

wad overseen by parent?!

LOL i get thrown alone with the working ppl. contractors hardly ever stay at one place only. he always runs to other places while leaving me in another place.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.