Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do anyone know of any good write ups on the different kind of filters and its uses?

wikipedia has a basic one, but it will not spoonfeed you entirely either

i.e. it will tell you what a filter does, but it won't tell you like "if sunny and very bright, please use nd filter if shooting towards the sun with large aperture." for something much more comprehensive and consolidated, why not go straight to the source? hoya has a website which tells you what you can use each filter for.

yeah lor. i also need some good references on filters.
maybe have to go bookshop or amazon buy book on fliters liao lor.
i want to get some exotic filters.
my current 10.5mm fish eye is damn shiok.
but cannot fit filters.
sighs.

wikipedia has a basic one, but it will not spoonfeed you entirely either

i.e. it will tell you what a filter does, but it won't tell you like "if sunny and very bright, please use nd filter if shooting towards the sun with large aperture." for something much more comprehensive and consolidated, why not go straight to the source? hoya has a website which tells you what you can use each filter for.

Thanks... will go read up on the site... :) ... hopefully can give me some background .....

yeah lor. i also need some good references on filters.
maybe have to go bookshop or amazon buy book on fliters liao lor.
i want to get some exotic filters.
my current 10.5mm fish eye is damn shiok.
but cannot fit filters.
sighs.

Usually these ultra-wide or fisheye lenses uses gelatin filters that slot at the rear of the lens.

Hey QUeen, thats an excellent resource. im reading up on it. i think filters really are the next step to go and to experiment. there's loads on IR filters and a whole IR group at ClubSnap. Amazing!

Hi,

i'm in alaska, and i've problems taking pictures of snow-capped mountains and the landscape. either the landscape is underexposed, or the skies are overexposed.

does a GND help in this case? what would be a recommended fliter for this application?

Hi,

i'm in alaska, and i've problems taking pictures of snow-capped mountains and the landscape. either the landscape is underexposed, or the skies are overexposed.

does a GND help in this case? what would be a recommended fliter for this application?
Yes, for your case, use a GND. Make sure that the darker portion covers the sky portion.

For the casual user like myself, I'd recommend getting:

1. UV Haze (Act as protection and for cutting through scenery with light haze)
2. ND2 or ND4 (For strong sunny weather conditions like these days)
3. CPL (For scenery and landscapes in moderate lighting to sunny conditions. If too sunny, use with an ND together.)

UVs and CPLs are a must have. And after using so many types, it is B+W or nothing.

If you are into landscape, Grad ND will be useful. Of course, you can reproduce close to that effect in PP

If you are into landscape, Grad ND will be useful. Of course, you can reproduce close to that effect in PP

If u blow out the highlights of the skies horribly in one shot, it is unlikely ( that even the raw ) can salvage much. GND is very much useful in landscape shots. I use it more often than CPL.

Ryan

If u blow out the highlights of the skies horribly in one shot, it is unlikely ( that even the raw ) can salvage much. GND is very much useful in landscape shots. I use it more often than CPL.

Ryan

Yup agree... trouble with this type of filter is you need a filter holder setup and its $$$ ;)

hi,

thanks you so much for the replies.

what is a fliter setup? and how much does it cost?

I'm thinking of getting a B W 2 stop GND. any recommendations or opinions on this?

i'm using a 20D with 10-22mm, having a nikon CPL n a Kenko (W) UV fliter.

hi,

thanks you so much for the replies.

what is a fliter setup? and how much does it cost?

I'm thinking of getting a B W 2 stop GND. any recommendations or opinions on this?

i'm using a 20D with 10-22mm, having a nikon CPL n a Kenko (W) UV fliter.

Lee filter setup you can get from CP is $300+ ;p

Lee filter setup you can get from CP is $300+ ;p

wah.... so expensive... any cheaper stuff?

or can i just attach the B + W GND on the lens n shoot?

wah.... so expensive... any cheaper stuff?

or can i just attach the B + W GND on the lens n shoot?

GNDs typically need filter holders as they are rectangular in shapes... so you still need to invest in such setup

GNDs typically need filter holders as they are rectangular in shapes... so you still need to invest in such setup
may i ask... what about tianya... or corkin filter setups or filters?
is b&w filters really in a whole league of its own?

how about get a tainya filter holder... to hold a B&w?

For the casual hobbyist, Tianya filters are cheap and good enough.

Personally, I have ND400s (screw-on 77mm), Tianya holder and a collection of graduated color filters, Grad ND, ND8, Circular Polariser, Soft, and a couple more weird stuff that I'd forgotten about (stopped using them 2+ years back).

For the casual hobbyist, Tianya filters are cheap and good enough.

Personally, I have ND400s (screw-on 77mm), Tianya holder and a collection of graduated color filters, Grad ND, ND8, Circular Polariser, Soft, and a couple more weird stuff that I'd forgotten about (stopped using them 2+ years back).
but it is possible to get a b&w to install into tianya filter holder?

not like i have to get another kind of holder to specially hold other filter right?
300+ for holder setup is like wow...

but it is possible to get a b&w to install into tianya filter holder?

not like i have to get another kind of holder to specially hold other filter right?
300+ for holder setup is like wow...

Take a look at your B+W, is it 83mm x 99mm? If so, it might be able to slot into the TianYa/Cokin holders. If not..... oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.