Filter screwed too tight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artosoft said:
Hahaha...

I prefer to buy better filter than filter wrench... But it is only my thought.

Regards,
Arto.

Even my B+W and Heliopan filters get stuck sometimes. Talk about better filters. :dunno:

The filter wrench looks cool, as well as the rubber band solution. Better filters don't solve the problem, I have Nikon NC, Nikon polarizer (always worried about this really strong grip), B+W once, all can really get stuck I need to use brute force. Incidentally, the cheaper Hoya filters were so easy to remove :dunno:

Obviously, it is a common problem, or they won't even think of marketing a filter wrench.

Artosoft said:
Hahaha...

Regards,
Arto.

The brand of the filter does not make any difference. It is still a male/female thread being coupled together. The filter wrench is the best solution. My advise is not to screw the filter on too toght.

jbma said:
The brand of the filter does not make any difference. It is still a male/female thread being coupled together. The filter wrench is the best solution.
Agree..... Otherwise I won't buy this filter wrench (I am a very fussy shopper).

I have it for almost 6 years now. It saves the day every time I am "stuck" in a situation.

May I suggest trying something simple ? Get a shoe or slipper with rubber sole, make sure it's flat and clean, push the filter against this grippy surface (while holding the lens tight), figure out which way to turn the lens to unscrew the filter, and twist firmly but gently. This way there's an even force all across the filter ring, and with more leverage (as you're gripping the lens barrel) it could just work.

Let us know how you go.

Artosoft said:
Hahaha...

Regards,
Arto.

too late dude.. its a second hand lens.. think the previous owner screwed it tooooooooo tight!!!!! argh...
need to unscrew it to clean out some dust particles...
any shops in singapore selling this wretch toy??

I believed most folks here studied about simple machines in science since primary school. This filter wrench is actually a first class lever, with the help of friction to get the job done. So far, it did not scratch any of my expensive filters or lenses. I am very pleased with this simple and yet effective gadget.

jbma said:
The brand of the filter does not make any difference. It is still a male/female thread being coupled together. The filter wrench is the best solution. My advise is not to screw the filter on too toght.

better check my lenses ryt now. :D

as not to OT, maybe u should try those lubricant sprays.

Jix said:
...maybe u should try those lubricant sprays.
This is a definite no, no :nono: if you don't want oil stains on your lenses' multicoating.

photobum said:
Even my B+W and Heliopan filters get stuck sometimes. Talk about better filters. :dunno:
Once my Nikon UV filter stuck on my camera because I drop the camera (not to high) and hit at the filter. But I still can manage to remove it. But B+W construction is looks strong. Never have a problem with it.

Regards,
Arto.

jbma said:
Have you seen the B+W filter (the metal construction) compare to Hoya filter? There IS a difference.

Regards,
Arto.

The cheapest simpliest way is to buy a pair of rubber gloves, yes the ones one uses for cleaning and washing, put the filter on your palm and twist. It works in 99% of the cases.

But:
Never apply any lubes, greases or oil!!! The can react with the plastic housing of the lense and other parts and destroy.

if you still dont get it off, go and the service centre of the manufacturer

photobum said:
Agree..... Otherwise I won't buy this filter wrench (I am a very fussy shopper).

I have it for almost 6 years now. It saves the day every time I am "stuck" in a situation.
The problem with cheap or not-so-good filter is the filter's thread is not well being graving. Sometimes I see filter with the thread grave is not well alignment, this will make filter difficult to screw in or screw out to the lens. Worse, it will damage the lens' thread.

Regards,
Arto.

hey dude have you managed to unscrew your filter from your lens? anyway in case it happen again i found this tools from NTUC: a jar cap opener (forgive the shake. my cellphone has no VR feature on it)
cap-opener.jpg

or this one: a plumbing wrench.

plumbingpliers.jpg

they're cheap. but make sure to use cloth to avoid scratching the lens and the filter.

blurboiboi said:
thanks guys for all the solutions... the filter wrench is really cool... if you are doing a MO do let me know... definitely interested!

these are can openers that some kitchenware shop sells. bought one before. $2. there is also another type that looks like figure of 8. also can do the job well. i use it to unscrew stuck filters, tripod heads and also what it is meant to be for...open bottled food that is jammed!

Ahem. I'm surprised its not mentioned here yet...

Assuming that the filter is not dented while its in place on the lens, try to unscrew it lightly. It sounds strange, but I get stuck filters all the time (with B+W filters some more) with my old AIS lens with the screwed on metal cap (either the cap gets stuck to the filter or the filter gets stuck to the lens).

The problem is that you have metal in contact with another metal. You can wrench it with all the force you can apply, but sometimes it just takes a little bit of force applied uniformly on the filter to get it out of the jam. Try it, got nothing to lose.

It's been more than a week since you've started the thread. Have you gotten the filter out yet?

If not, here's my contribution. i'm guessing it's one of the two possibilities:

1. It's slightly dented. Take a good look at the filter; is it slightly elliptical? If so, squeezing it back gently (press against floor or hard surface - gently) will loosen the pressure. i took out a stuck BW filter this way before.

2. Corrosion in the threading of the filter/lens. If so, well, i don't know how to get it out w/o any chemical treatment. :devil:

If you haven't managed to unscrew it, I can let you have the use of my filter wrenches, depending on the filter size. Give me a call on 9664 0330.

Winston

ericp said:
May I suggest trying something simple ? Get a shoe or slipper with rubber sole, make sure it's flat and clean, push the filter against this grippy surface (while holding the lens tight), figure out which way to turn the lens to unscrew the filter, and twist firmly but gently. This way there's an even force all across the filter ring, and with more leverage (as you're gripping the lens barrel) it could just work.

Let us know how you go.

I agree with this matter but do so at your own risk yah? ;) This actually works. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.