Film scanning... y color not the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
Processed my slides and used the scanning service from Fotohub, and find that the color doesn't look the same as viewed from the light panel (5500k)

On the lightpanel, the colors look more vibrant, more saturated, on the scanned to PC version. the picture look so dull. alot of details is missing as well.

I've noticed that most of the scanned slides in clubsnap look pretty strange as well... is it due to the scanner or something?

you need to do quite a bit of post processing. Foto hub scans are considered pretty alright.

the reason why slides look better through the lightbox is because they are lit from behind. that is why they have the 'glow' around them, unlike prints.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
Processed my slides and used the scanning service from Fotohub, and find that the color doesn't look the same as viewed from the light panel (5500k)

On the lightpanel, the colors look more vibrant, more saturated, on the scanned to PC version. the picture look so dull. alot of details is missing as well.

I've noticed that most of the scanned slides in clubsnap look pretty strange as well... is it due to the scanner or something?

Need to PS the scanned pictures... I agree with Stefen, fotohub's scans are considered quite good liao. If u want professional drum scan services, look for Kex.
;)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
wat type of PS is needed?

PS until the colors on screen matches the slides lor.. :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
wat type of PS is needed?

Use a combination of levels/curves to boost contrast, variations to remove colour casts, followed by saturation to boost colors.

if you have photoshop CS, play with the auto levels first, then the shadows highlights function.

you need more convincing about scans? Check out my exhibition going on at the national library now. all the scans are done by kex and a couple by fotohub ...:)

BTW... what monitor you are using??

Calibrated??:think:

Most scanning services provided by lab are just scanning lor..

u need to fine tune the colors,saturation,levels and USM if needed..

usually u can get quite close result after fine tuning.

LCD... hmmm..

I believe if you want good accuracy.. apple cinema display is a good choice...

So far I know that is the only LCD that get certified..

Or if you really serious about colour..

Go for CRT instead..

OS also playing a part... Sad to say that Windows tolerence is bigger cause too many OEM

(I'm a PC user as well as a mac user)

:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.