Film in Hong Kong & others

I would recommend that you bring two bodies if you can. One colour, the other BW. For colour I reckon the warmer colours of Portra would show HK better. The other body can be loaded with your Neopan1600. Push one stop if needed and you will set.

My favorite colour film for night shoot in HK is Provia 400X shot at ISO800... but it quickly becomes VERY expensive...

You are referring to Champagne Court in Kimberley Street. It is great if you want to see a lot of old cameras but be ready to negociate! Speaking cantonese is a plus there...

Other shops like Tin Cheung Camera are ok but not always friendly. Shogun Camera in Lock Road (Tsim Sha Tsui) is also ok. There are other shops around Shogun Camera but don't know their names.

There are more shops in Tsim Sha Tsui area like Ninedays, Photopia, C9.99, etc... but I don't know where they are located exactly. I am sure Wongsan sifu and Gommy can help with the addresses...

Old leicas, rolleiflex, hassy are not cheap but MF camera like Bronica SQ, Mamiya C, Mamiya 67, etc... are very reasonably priced.

Hi meven
Yup..thats the place...i heard u can find a gd deal there for old cameras like u mention here! haha

meven said:
My favorite colour film for night shoot in HK is Provia 400X shot at ISO800... but it quickly becomes VERY expensive...

:sweat:
That would be awesome for bokeh though!

Last edited:
Many thanks to TS and all who have contributed! very informative thread. Will be heading to HK sometime in late June :D

I would recommend that you bring two bodies if you can. One colour, the other BW. For colour I reckon the warmer colours of Portra would show HK better. The other body can be loaded with your Neopan1600. Push one stop if needed and you will set.

How I wish but sadly to say I only have one film body, will be using digital + film. I'll try to bring some BW rolls over although my gut feeling says go with color for Hong kong haha.

Another place is Sin City: junction of Sai Yeung Choi Street & Shantung Street of Mongkok, Exit E2 of MongKok MTR station. Tin Cheung and another Leica dealer are there. I brought my Billingham bag there.

Thanks for your tip man! Will pm you on the details to find out more!

You are referring to Champagne Court in Kimberley Street. It is great if you want to see a lot of old cameras but be ready to negociate! Speaking cantonese is a plus there...

Other shops like Tin Cheung Camera are ok but not always friendly. Shogun Camera in Lock Road (Tsim Sha Tsui) is also ok. There are other shops around Shogun Camera but don't know their names.

There are more shops in Tsim Sha Tsui area like Ninedays, Photopia, C9.99, etc... but I don't know where they are located exactly. I am sure Wongsan sifu and Gommy can help with the addresses...

Old leicas, rolleiflex, hassy are not cheap but MF camera like Bronica SQ, Mamiya C, Mamiya 67, etc... are very reasonably priced.

This is another place which I will be paying a visit to, see whether got any nice gems :lovegrin: Thanks meven for clarifying, this entire thread will serve an useful point of reference! :thumbsup:

Have a gd trip..hope to see more pics:)

By e way, can i ask if lightmeter like sekonic is cheaper in HKG than SG?