Film in Hong Kong & others

theRenaissance

Jul 9, 2009
Singapore
I am heading to Hong Kong on a family trip next month, was wondering if any experienced sifu can tell me if an ASA400 film is sufficient for Hong Kong in the evening/night? I'll prob bring Ektar 100, Fuji pro 160, Provia 400 and the new Portra 400. Would love to hear some advice, or do I need something faster? I have some presto 1600 in the fridge.

Besides, anyone one familar with Hong Kong can share with me where are some nice places to shoot? Morning local market? Night market? Rustic hong kong streets? Iconic streets? The last time I've been to hk was back in 2005.. :confused:

Finally, I've been wanting to grab a copy of the Leica Insight book by Ye Youxin, anyone knows any place in hk I can grab one?

I welcome any form of help, thanks in advance! Mod, if this thread is not appropriate please move it sorry, thought wanna ask here because alot of bros here shoot film. :lovegrin:

Don't know much about Hong Kong so I'll just wish you to have a fun and safe trip! Bring back lots of pictures! :D

I am heading to Hong Kong on a family trip next month, was wondering if any experienced sifu can tell me if an ASA400 film is sufficient for Hong Kong in the evening/night? I'll prob bring Ektar 100, Fuji pro 160, Provia 400 and the new Portra 400. Would love to hear some advice, or do I need something faster? I have some presto 1600 in the fridge.

Besides, anyone one familar with Hong Kong can share with me where are some nice places to shoot? Morning local market? Night market? Rustic hong kong streets? Iconic streets? The last time I've been to hk was back in 2005.. :confused:

Finally, I've been wanting to grab a copy of the Leica Insight book by Ye Youxin, anyone knows any place in hk I can grab one?

I welcome any form of help, thanks in advance! Mod, if this thread is not appropriate please move it sorry, thought wanna ask here because alot of bros here shoot film. :lovegrin:

Have to ask our French rep, Meven, he knows HKG more than me!

Wongsan also has good knowledge of HKG

Don't know much about Hong Kong so I'll just wish you to have a fun and safe trip! Bring back lots of pictures! :D

Have to ask our French rep, Meven, he knows HKG more than me!

Wongsan also has good knowledge of HKG

Thanks guys for your help! Guess I will pm them to ask more :D

Suggestions:

Tsim Sha Tsui Star Ferry pier - most popular place for evening and night shots of Hong Kong harbor. After taking evening pictures, you may take Star Ferry across the harbor to HK island and take a tram to the peak for dinner and night shots.
Sai Kung - if you are really an early bird, it is good place for sun rise. You may also have dim sim breakfast afterward. Also a good place of fisherman pictures
Temple Street, Yaumatei - good for night market, temples
There are many good places in HK but just a few suggestions

cant help u with buying films in hk, if u so happen to pop into any shops for LEICA gears shopping in hk (very likely u will..), my advise is if the shop owner makes u feel uncomfortable, just get out ASAP! some of them are not exactly specific with their deals..their calculation is rocket science, or maybe i look like robert.. so far my experience in gear shopping in hk was not very pleasant..ofcoz there were good ones, maybe i was just sway..

for shooting, hk is fantastic, the old plus new asian backdrop is a great build up for street shots.. again this is based on my sub standard shooting eye.. good luck. Pls share your hk shots when back.

for shooting, hk is fantastic, the old plus new asian backdrop is a great build up for street shots.. again this is based on my sub standard shooting eye.. good luck. Pls share your hk shots when back.

Hello bro, who you trying to kid???? Your shooting substandard?

Dont bluff la!!!!

Rule of thumb in buying camera is that "don't buy from camera shops along Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui area".

You may find HK Leica shops in Leica's web site.

Here are my "gweilo" recommendations for HK.

Morning markets:
1 - In Central (on HK Island): go to Stanley street to shop for film then go to the western end of the street where you will enter a street market, turn left, go up the street and just keep walking until your bored shooting! This is one of my favorite market in HK. I am actually not quite sure about the actual name of the market but it is probably called "Central Market"
2 - In Causeway Bay (HK Island): The street market in Sharp Street is nice. Again, a very nice local market.
3 - In North Point (HK Island): The street market in Chun Yeung Street is also very nice
4 - In Shau Kei Wan (HK Island): this one is if you feel adventurous, it is a bit off the bitten track compare to the usual tourists attractions. The market in Kam Wa Street is very nice and if you walk further east to A Kung Ngam Village Road you will find the last "Kampong" on HK Island.

Old Hong Kong:
1 - in Wanchai check out the green and the blue houses. The green house is in Burrows Street and the blue house is in Stone Nullah Lane.
2 - walk around the Sheung Wan/Kennedy Town area. Loads of old shops
3 - on Kowloon side go to the village of Lei Yu Mun and walk around there. You need to get off at Yau Tong MRT. (Beware of the seafood restaurants, they are tourist traps for mainlanders.)
4 - on Kowloon side go to the Cattle Depot Artist Village in Ma Tau Kok Road then walk to Lung Kong Road, Nam Kok Road, and all the streets around to see some old shop houses. There is some splendid chinese muslim food in Lung Kong Road, definitely worth a lunch break!

Completely off the beaten track and for the most daring:
1 - Go to the Yau Ma Tei fruit market around 4-6am. Beware of dodgy individuals, if they look dodgy, they probably are...

All those suggestions are for less touristy things but if you do want to do the touristy things then you can visit Lantau Island, take the MRT to go to Tung Chung then take the cable care to Ngong Ping 360, pay your respect to the big buddha, visit the monastry then take a bus down to Tai O fishing village (great place for street photography). From there you can take another bus to Mui Wo (also know as Silvermine Bay) and take a ferry back to Central. This is a nice day trip excursion.

There are a lot of things to do in HK and the possibilities are endless, it all depends on what you want to do and who you are with. I would not recommend the same stuff to you traveling with your family and say to Gary traveling with his 6 pack of beer...;)

I should add that the best places to buy films are:
1 - Stanley Street on Hong Kong Island. There are loads of camera shops there. Go around shops before buying prices vary greatly from shop to shop.
2 - Wing Shing & Man Shing in Kowloon, they have several outlets but the main one is in Mongkok. They have a big selection of films.

Last edited:
i heard there is a champagne street that sells old cameras....

Suggestions:

Tsim Sha Tsui Star Ferry pier - most popular place for evening and night shots of Hong Kong harbor. After taking evening pictures, you may take Star Ferry across the harbor to HK island and take a tram to the peak for dinner and night shots.
Sai Kung - if you are really an early bird, it is good place for sun rise. You may also have dim sim breakfast afterward. Also a good place of fisherman pictures
Temple Street, Yaumatei - good for night market, temples
There are many good places in HK but just a few suggestions

Thanks man, I'll take note of the pier, Sai Kung and Temple Street! :thumbsup: Always been wanting to capture the bustle of HK's night scene.

lol! Temple street!

Anyway cant wait to see your pics bro!

Haha thanks bro, traveling with family leh so I try to make do with whatever I can see.

cant help u with buying films in hk, if u so happen to pop into any shops for LEICA gears shopping in hk (very likely u will..), my advise is if the shop owner makes u feel uncomfortable, just get out ASAP! some of them are not exactly specific with their deals..their calculation is rocket science, or maybe i look like robert.. so far my experience in gear shopping in hk was not very pleasant..ofcoz there were good ones, maybe i was just sway..

Hello bro, who you trying to kid???? Your shooting substandard?

Dont bluff la!!!!

Hahha I agree with Gary, your shooting where got substandard, its awesome man!:thumbsup: Buying Leica is definitely out of my league for now, cant handle so many systems at once. Perhaps next time, but I'll try to hunt for the Leica insight book. Any idea which bookstore sells em?

Rule of thumb in buying camera is that "don't buy from camera shops along Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui area".

You may find HK Leica shops in Leica's web site.

Hmm because they are cut throat shops? I thought of getting a hadley pro if they have stock, color is another issue altogether.

Thanks man, will take note of Champagne Street. Heard alot about this place from googling too. ;)

Morning markets:
1 - In Central (on HK Island): go to Stanley street to shop for film then go to the western end of the street where you will enter a street market, turn left, go up the street and just keep walking until your bored shooting! This is one of my favorite market in HK. I am actually not quite sure about the actual name of the market but it is probably called "Central Market"
2 - In Causeway Bay (HK Island): The street market in Sharp Street is nice. Again, a very nice local market.
3 - In North Point (HK Island): The street market in Chun Yeung Street is also very nice
4 - In Shau Kei Wan (HK Island): this one is if you feel adventurous, it is a bit off the bitten track compare to the usual tourists attractions. The market in Kam Wa Street is very nice and if you walk further east to A Kung Ngam Village Road you will find the last "Kampong" on HK Island.

Old Hong Kong:
1 - in Wanchai check out the green and the blue houses. The green house is in Burrows Street and the blue house is in Stone Nullah Lane.
2 - walk around the Sheung Wan/Kennedy Town area. Loads of old shops
3 - on Kowloon side go to the village of Lei Yu Mun and walk around there. You need to get off at Yau Tong MRT. (Beware of the seafood restaurants, they are tourist traps for mainlanders.)
4 - on Kowloon side go to the Cattle Depot Artist Village in Ma Tau Kok Road then walk to Lung Kong Road, Nam Kok Road, and all the streets around to see some old shop houses. There is some splendid chinese muslim food in Lung Kong Road, definitely worth a lunch break!

Completely off the beaten track and for the most daring:
1 - Go to the Yau Ma Tei fruit market around 4-6am. Beware of dodgy individuals, if they look dodgy, they probably are...

All those suggestions are for less touristy things but if you do want to do the touristy things then you can visit Lantau Island, take the MRT to go to Tung Chung then take the cable care to Ngong Ping 360, pay your respect to the big buddha, visit the monastry then take a bus down to Tai O fishing village (great place for street photography). From there you can take another bus to Mui Wo (also know as Silvermine Bay) and take a ferry back to Central. This is a nice day trip excursion.

There are a lot of things to do in HK and the possibilities are endless, it all depends on what you want to do and who you are with. I would not recommend the same stuff to you traveling with your family and say to Gary traveling with his 6 pack of beer...;)

I should add that the best places to buy films are:
1 - Stanley Street on Hong Kong Island. There are loads of camera shops there. Go around shops before buying prices vary greatly from shop to shop.
2 - Wing Shing & Man Shing in Kowloon, they have several outlets but the main one is in Mongkok. They have a big selection of films.

Wow thank you very much meven! So many tips, I will be sure to try markets and villages! :thumbsup::D Thank you so much for your help!!

Hmm because they are cut throat shops? I thought of getting a hadley pro if they have stock, color is another issue altogether.

Thanks man, will take note of Champagne Street. Heard alot about this place from googling too. ;)

Hi, the last i heard was that those old cameras like RB67, seagull etc...are quite a gd price there...if u r interested in MF..can go there take a look..but i nvr had the chance to visit there:) Not too sure if its like our penisular plaza....pls take some nice pics of them for me k...haha...see if its really like what was told to me..

lol! "Gweilo" hahahahaha! You know HKG than most of us here!!!!

Er, dont think the 6 can pack is enough. Ernest & Melvin + wife witness the horror at the pubs in Penang on the first day....... hahaha

theRenaissance said:

I would recommend that you bring two bodies if you can. One colour, the other BW. For colour I reckon the warmer colours of Portra would show HK better. The other body can be loaded with your Neopan1600. Push one stop if needed and you will set.

Another place is Sin City: junction of Sai Yeung Choi Street & Shantung Street of Mongkok, Exit E2 of MongKok MTR station. Tin Cheung and another Leica dealer are there. I brought my Billingham bag there.

You are referring to Champagne Court in Kimberley Street. It is great if you want to see a lot of old cameras but be ready to negociate! Speaking cantonese is a plus there...

Other shops like Tin Cheung Camera are ok but not always friendly. Shogun Camera in Lock Road (Tsim Sha Tsui) is also ok. There are other shops around Shogun Camera but don't know their names.

There are more shops in Tsim Sha Tsui area like Ninedays, Photopia, C9.99, etc... but I don't know where they are located exactly. I am sure Wongsan sifu and Gommy can help with the addresses...

Old leicas, rolleiflex, hassy are not cheap but MF camera like Bronica SQ, Mamiya C, Mamiya 67, etc... are very reasonably priced.

Last edited: