Feedback required

Status
Not open for further replies.
You had patiently answer many posts including the posts which did not ask any questions.

But you had chosen to conveniently ignore my questions.

Which brings me to wonder if you are a bogus operator?

Is it a top secret not to tell us what this "World Wide Pageant" is, and the organisers? And who are you? Your company?

student said:
You had patiently answer many posts including the posts which did not ask any questions.

But you had chosen to conveniently ignore my questions.

Which brings me to wonder if you are a bogus operator?

Is it a top secret not to tell us what this "World Wide Pageant" is, and the organisers? And who are you? Your company?

The website was down. I tried to answer your mail earlier but was logged out. I have only just got back in. But tell me what on earth is the point in wasting people's time by being a 'bogus operator'?
The event is Miss European Tourism International. We are putting together a group of organisors covering all aspects of the compeition in an effort to send the best from Singapore.

Hello Mr artdirector,

I am not in a situation to attend this model shoot, but, I have not seen what the cost to attend as a photographer is. :dunno:

I may have missed it ?

From what I have read, the photographers that pay and attend, retain the copyrights to their photo's ?yes?

A chosen photographer from the first shooting gets to take photo's at the finals ?yes?

The photographer/s that pay and attend will be up front shooting ?yes?

Are they likely to have as much movement as your own photographer ?

Will they be interupted by your photographer ?

I would think that if the answers to the above questions are positive to any photographers here,
it would be a great oppertunity to take some great photo's.

From this, the chosen photographer (from CS of course) could well take some better and more sought after photo's than the official photographer.

So I guess it might come down to, "how much" ?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers.

Oh, just one other thing, The photographers that pay to attend and the chosen final one retain the copyrights, but do they also have the rights to publish their photo's ?

think of it as just another typical CS organized 'model' shoot.
just that these 'models' are participants in this contest.

the possibility of becoming an official photographer to cover the actual event, is just an added bonus if it happens for you.
other than that, think of it as just another typical CS organized 'model' shoot....

pay $ and go shoot 'model(s)'...

Sounds like a terrific idea, but needs more refinement

I would hazard a guess that some of us might pay, for the chance to participate in a actual event shoot to rack up those experience points. Might be a good way for a budding young photographer to learn real quickly - doors which are often closed to amateurs.

However, the organizers do have to give a little more than just the chance to participate as a photographer in the event. An extra hour's worth of shooting with 1 or 2 different model, either on that day or on another day, plus food and drinks, and perhaps a pro thrown in to guide the shoot, plus maybe even a art director and location director might be something that you can include to charge a premium.

That might be a really great way to build up one's portfolio really quickly and professionally.

Keep us informed!

Cheers

Hmmm...
Will the models get paid since the shoots does not actually promote the event?

Pablo said:
Hello Mr artdirector,

I am not in a situation to attend this model shoot, but, I have not seen what the cost to attend as a photographer is. :dunno:

I may have missed it ?

From what I have read, the photographers that pay and attend, retain the copyrights to their photo's ?yes?

A chosen photographer from the first shooting gets to take photo's at the finals ?yes?

The photographer/s that pay and attend will be up front shooting ?yes?

Are they likely to have as much movement as your own photographer ?

Will they be interupted by your photographer ?

I would think that if the answers to the above questions are positive to any photographers here,
it would be a great oppertunity to take some great photo's.

From this, the chosen photographer (from CS of course) could well take some better and more sought after photo's than the official photographer.

So I guess it might come down to, "how much" ?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers.

Oh, just one other thing, The photographers that pay to attend and the chosen final one retain the copyrights, but do they also have the rights to publish their photo's ?

Yes, yes yes yes and yes. Thanks, you've got it spot on. (Oh and no, they will not be interupted by anyone). Yes they can publish photos too.

As for cost, that was my initial question. We wanted to know what the members felt might be the right fee to charge.

It's a shame you say you wouldn't be able to make it, i like you style!

Thanks again for your post, you have put the whole thing in the right perspective.

sehsuan said:
If there's no need to use the images taken, then take for what?

I like your wry sense of humor :bsmilie:

????? See my previous post.

This is for you not us. It is an opportunity to be at an event that you might not perhaps get the opportunity to be at, that's all.

artdirector said:
Correct. The competition elelment is just an added incentive for the photographers who support the event up to the SF stage. We will not need to use the photographs taken.

Ah, so I get to cover the finals FOC for you. I see.. thanks.

AReality said:
Hmmm...
Will the models get paid since the shoots does not actually promote the event?

No of course they won't. Beauty pageants offer prize money to winners only.They are competing to win and represent Singapore. The winners will get cash prizes.

melly said:
Sounds like a terrific idea, but needs more refinement

I would hazard a guess that some of us might pay, for the chance to participate in a actual event shoot to rack up those experience points. Might be a good way for a budding young photographer to learn real quickly - doors which are often closed to amateurs.

However, the organizers do have to give a little more than just the chance to participate as a photographer in the event. An extra hour's worth of shooting with 1 or 2 different model, either on that day or on another day, plus food and drinks, and perhaps a pro thrown in to guide the shoot, plus maybe even a art director and location director might be something that you can include to charge a premium.

That might be a really great way to build up one's portfolio really quickly and professionally.

Keep us informed!
Cheers

Thanks for your post. Our intention is that you will participate prior to the semi final and therefore have the chance to photograph for more than an extra hour. This will be at the rehearsals.

Yes we can provide refreshments. Art Director....my nick, so that too, right!

Hello artdirector,

For me, what you have put forward as an offer seems to be a great oppertunity.

As for me; I lack the photographic tallent multiplied by the distance from Australia to there :bsmilie:

Be as it may; there is much tallent, "camera wise/photographic vision wise", here both by professional and amature members of Clubsnap.

I look forward to the outcome and wish all well in what follows.

To be quite honest, "and this is just my twisted mind speaking here";

I hope that some CS members produce photo's that kick the ass of those from the "official" photographic team. :bsmilie:

(no offence to them !)

The reason I say that is, as you probably have noticed, there is some great tallent here.

Without any names in order (just a few that come to mind):

Will03, DarkForce, student, AngelZhou, Deadpoet, user12343, and the list goes on....

I do hope with a few PM's it will work out and we will be viewing some great posts here and also in some magazines.

Cheers:)

artdirector said:
The website was down. I tried to answer your mail earlier but was logged out. I have only just got back in

I am afraid that your reason for not answering my questions earlier holds no water. You had blamed it on the failed website.

The facts are:

I posted my question on 11 May 2006 in post #3.

On the morning of 12 May, you gave replies to posts #2, 4 and 5. When I saw that you did not gave a reply to my questions in post #3, I asked you to clarify my questions again in post #10.

You returned in the evening of 12 May, and gave replies to posts #9, 11, 12 and 13. Again bypassing my question in post #10.

Was the website suffering failure intermittently only when you tried to reply to my posts in #3 and #10, but working perfectly well when you replied to posts #2, 4, 5, 9, 11, and 12?

I can give some possible reasons to your failure to answer my questions

1 You did not want to reply to my queries (which is impossible, since you did say that you tried to reply to me, with the unfortunate non-cooperation of the website). Actually you have every right to ignore my questions. but you did want to reply, didn't you?

2 You suffer from some form of visual aberration somehow leading to you not seeing my question. But this is also very unlikely, because if you did not see my questions, you will not say that you tried to answer.

3 You have special reasons why you may be reluctant to answer my questions. This is OK. We all have reasons not to disclose everything.

artdirector said:
But tell me what on earth is the point in wasting people's time by being a 'bogus operator'?

I have absolutely no idea. But what am I to think given the scenario you created with regards to the way you handled my questions?

artdirector said:
The event is Miss European Tourism International. We are putting together a group of organisors covering all aspects of the compeition in an effort to send the best from Singapore.

Thank you!

Now isn't that simple?

But now let us come back to what this is all about.

From what I could see, you are not here primarily to give us the "opportunity" to photograph wonderful models. We all know that there are many wannabes models, and that many in the preliminary rounds are really not quite up to it. I do not know your standards for this competition. But look at Miss Universe and the aspirants. In my opinion, only the finalists in the Miss Singapore/Universe are worth photographing, and that opinion may be challenged by many. How will your early contestants fare against the Miss Singapore wannabes?

No, I think the main reason is that you are trying to raise funds. Keep it clear, and do not try to say you are doing us a great favor by giving us opportunities to photograph wonderful models. In all possibility, these early rounds will comprise many, well, "average" aspirants. Of course, with luck, there can also be some really good ones.

My suggestion to you is this. Get your models/competitors. When you are ready, show their images on the workshop subforum. Then let members decide if they want to photograph these models. Organise it like any other photoshoot.

Pablo said:
)The reason I say that is, as you probably have noticed, there is some great tallent here.

Without any names in order (just a few that come to mind):

Will03, DarkForce, student, AngelZhou, Deadpoet, user12343, and the list goes on....

Pablo, thanks for putting my name there.

But I have no interest in "fashion" photography ( maybe in future, like the way Jurges is now doing fashion - quite lucrative!). Such types of imagery is more up the alleyways of photogs like Will03, DP, user12343 etc.

But if there are good models with the potential for good portraits, I will be interested. Many of my images are quite ugly!

What is your problem?

1. This is a 2007 event, and as such I am soliciting feedback, some of which has been excellent. If you are not interested or suspect this is not above board then stop writing to this thread

2. I have said it is to raise funds, as one of many alternatives we are looking at. But at the end of the day we need ten's of thousands, significantly more than we would ever anticipate from members

3. I couldn't respond to your first mail because of other obligations. When I came to post yesterday morning the website went down after I replied to the others. I then went out for the day, and replied as soon as i logged in!

As for the last part of your mail I am more than happy to do this. As mentioned above this is a 2007 event, so please read my request. "Is there interest in being involved in a photography event like this, and would you be prepaed to pay"

It seems we cannot agree on much. I don't think many of the finalists in MSU were worth photographing, we are looking to get to a better level than that. We are not going to fill the list with sub-standard participants.

So I don't want money now, just feedback. I don't want photographs, and I don't need anyone to promote this event.

I think it is for the benefit of the members here, because I cannot see the majority getting the opportunity to shoot this type of event. I might be wrong, but don't think so, because the people I have met at similar events were all professional/official/sponsored photographers.

Was wondering something from start, mind if I ask?
Does the model also get to pay to stand on the stage also? Since you are the orgainser and you insist that the photographers need to pay.

For me, I will get paid for the shoot and not pay to get the shot (for your info, I easily pocketed a few hundred bucks for a ROM shoot). To me, paying to get a shot is a waste of my money and time.

artdirector said:
What is your problem?

Me? I have no problem. I was just asking some questions about your pageant to help me make decisions. You have a problem with that?

But you do have many problems.

Like the website not cooperating with you. Like trying to raise money

artdirector said:
So I don't want money now, just feedback. I don't want photographs, and I don't need anyone to promote this event.

You don't want money now? Yes, I know that this is a thread asking for "feedback".

But I also know that, AT THE SAME TIME, you also had started a thread to promote "shoots". And that is primarily to help CS members? You are kind indeed.

And interestingly, this last post of yours is the only reply in this entire thread that did not quote the post which you are replying to. Wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies.