Feedback on 8mm F4 EX CIRCULAR FISHEYE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeryltan

Jan 5, 2006
s5.photobucket.com
Has anybody used this on a 1.6x crop camera like 350D, 300D, 20D or 30D? Want to know the quality of the optics, and does it really come out circular on a cropped cam..

yes . . and that peleng .. Sucks big time .. :p dun buy as the pis are very very soft ..

I have a sigma 8mm which I use on my film camera ( haven't baught a DSLR yet)... It works like a charm.. Agree that pics are soft at f/4 but it is acceptable at f/5.6 and good at f/8..

dunno how it will look on a DSLR..

Tks for the feedback.. I more or less decided to wait for the Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye :) Hope it's good..

Sandman77 said:
yes . . and that peleng .. Sucks big time .. :p dun buy as the pis are very very soft ..

Tks for the feedback..

akdwivedi said:
I have a sigma 8mm which I use on my film camera ( haven't baught a DSLR yet)... It works like a charm.. Agree that pics are soft at f/4 but it is acceptable at f/5.6 and good at f/8..

dunno how it will look on a DSLR..

Sandman77 said:

not soft on my peleng copy....;p

anyway, 8mm circular FE will not appear fully circular on a 1.6x crop sensor...
imo, 8mm FE is best used on a FF cam....

here's an idea how it'll look like....shot with 8mm peleng on 20D....
pardon for the wash out...;p

57a89ce5.jpg

waa i want 1!!!!! mind tell us the exiv??? is it true when using this lense have to do the "f" manually????

Hmm Looking at the title 8mm F4 EX Circular Fisheye ... he seems to refer more to Sigma 8mm f4 EX Ciruclar Fisheye - that I'm more familiar with:

- It is an auto-focus lens. At 8mm the DOF is really plenty so misfocusing is hardly to be told as well if any.

- A review on this lens can be found in:
* http://www.imagepower.de/IMAGES/imgEQUIPMENT/AF8.htm
* http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=74&sort=7&cat=38&page=1.

- On 1.6x well the fisheye effect becomes less pronounced and whether it suits somebody's taste is purely individual and depending on the creativity.

- Comparing with Peleng 8mm, the CA (chromatic abberration) looks lesser. The price is higher though.

- If you get one, please get the one with DG (Digitally optimised - from Sigma website - http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3255&navigator=4: "The new multi layer lens coating and lens design reduce flare and ghost, which is a common problem with digital cameras, and also creates an optimum color balance."), i.e. Sigma 8mm F4 EX DG Circular Fisheye.

- Sharpness is quite acceptable. Colour is beautiful.

kross said:
not soft on my peleng copy....;p

anyway, 8mm circular FE will not appear fully circular on a 1.6x crop sensor...
imo, 8mm FE is best used on a FF cam....

here's an idea how it'll look like....shot with 8mm peleng on 20D....
pardon for the wash out...;p

57a89ce5.jpg

Ahh... this is a place near me, usually go there every evening for a jog. Luckily was not captured in your pics.:bsmilie:

Tks bro.. :thumbsup: for the informative review.. However, I have more or less decided to wait for the new Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye to reach our shores.. Have already pre-booked 1 pc :) Must be kiasu, if not like the Nikon 18-200mm VRII kerna wait 2~3 mths :(

alus said:
Hmm Looking at the title 8mm F4 EX Circular Fisheye ... he seems to refer more to Sigma 8mm f4 EX Ciruclar Fisheye - that I'm more familiar with:

- It is an auto-focus lens. At 8mm the DOF is really plenty so misfocusing is hardly to be told as well if any.

- A review on this lens can be found in:
* http://www.imagepower.de/IMAGES/imgEQUIPMENT/AF8.htm
* http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=74&sort=7&cat=38&page=1.

- On 1.6x well the fisheye effect becomes less pronounced and whether it suits somebody's taste is purely individual and depending on the creativity.

- Comparing with Peleng 8mm, the CA (chromatic abberration) looks lesser. The price is higher though.

- If you get one, please get the one with DG (Digitally optimised - from Sigma website - http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3255&navigator=4: "The new multi layer lens coating and lens design reduce flare and ghost, which is a common problem with digital cameras, and also creates an optimum color balance."), i.e. Sigma 8mm F4 EX DG Circular Fisheye.

- Sharpness is quite acceptable. Colour is beautiful.

How much is the new Tokina 10-17mm ?

jeryltan said:
Tks bro.. :thumbsup: for the informative review.. However, I have more or less decided to wait for the new Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye to reach our shores.. Have already pre-booked 1 pc :) Must be kiasu, if not like the Nikon 18-200mm VRII kerna wait 2~3 mths :(

The decision to go for fisheye (8mm or 15mm or 16mm) or rectilinear (e.g. 10-22mm/ 10-17mm, etc.) should be based on the expectation on the effect and additional effort.

If you want fisheye effect then go for the fisheye. But, unfortunately it is much less pronounced on a non-full-frame camera.

If you want rectilinear effect (non-fisheye), the options are:
- to get those rectilinear lenses by design in the first place.
- to go for fisheye lens plus software such as panotools, etc. to "defish" (something you may not want to do it so frequently).

The newer Sigma AF 8mm EX DG Circular Fisheye is S$ 900+.

The fisheye 'effect' is not affected by the crop factor, distortion is the same regardless of which body your using. Only the amount of the full circle that you see is affected.

On a FF camera you get a completely circular image

On a 1.3x crop it looks like this.

20060325_RAW_1019resized.jpg

And here it is on a 1.6x crop

20060204_IMG_0198-01copy.jpg

Hey Jeryl, If you want to see it for yourself - you can borrow mine..

Nice effect.. But it's alright, since I'm waitin for the Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye, it covers most of the common fisheye angles already..

cyber_m0nkey said:
The fisheye 'effect' is not affected by the crop factor, distortion is the same regardless of which body your using. Only the amount of the full circle that you see is affected.

On a FF camera you get a completely circular image

On a 1.3x crop it looks like this.

20060325_RAW_1019resized.jpg

And here it is on a 1.6x crop

20060204_IMG_0198-01copy.jpg

Hey Jeryl, If you want to see it for yourself - you can borrow mine..

here are few more pics taken with Sigma AF 8mm EX DG Circular Fisheye

20060409225904_img_4357.jpg

20060322181234_img_4995.jpg

20060304160823_img_4390.jpg

20060308211425_img_4398.jpg

all the pics are croped in photo editor to eleminate dark corners. On my 350D with 1.6 cropping factor, i dont get a full circular frame, but only the corners of the frame are dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.