faster lens or faster camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
next buy - sell the 350D,get a bank loan,buy the EOS 1Ds Mark III:bsmilie:

misunderstanding.
faster lens can only give you faster shutter speed at expense of DOF.
faster camera can give you faster shutter speed at smaller aperture.
Am i correct? any comments?

1.) Faster lens will give you faster shutter speed at expense of DF - Yes. The point is not everyone will open up to the max aperture when shooting. With a faster lens, it also meant that you have a brighter view finder and faster auto focus, which is very useful especially in low light, indoor shooting or shooting wildlife like birds.

Example: 85mm f/1.4 vs 85mm f/1.8, both set at f/2.8. The 85mmf/1.4 will give you a brighter view in the camera and the auto focus is faster too.

2.) Faster camera, not very sure what you referring too, a camera with a higher ISO or better noise reduction? Or higher frames/seconds (important for wildlife shooting).

Maybe some senior can advice too.

Cheers

misunderstanding.

most times, people refer to faster camera in terms of focussing speed, file writing speed, higher burst rate, etc, rather than having higher ISO that give u faster shutter speeds.

faster camera and faster shutter speed got no link. Faster camera means the response of the camera is fast, shorter shutter lag and wat mpenza said. and... faster shutter speed at smaller aperture o_O Shud be faster shutter speed at bigger aperture...

next buy - sell the 350D,get a bank loan,buy the EOS 1Ds Mark III:bsmilie:

Do you actually think 1Ds mark 3 is fast enough for focusing? it's a FF bro.
1D mark3 is a 1.3X and thus faster

IMHO

IMHO

can u help to explain why and how camera body with a larger sensor autofocus faster?

misunderstanding.

I realli tink you faster read some photography books on such technical details. ;)

IMHO

There is no link between focusing speed and the sensor size. If that is so, then Large format cameras would trash auto focusing DSLRs.

A faster lens directly translates to a wider aperture which translates to a higher shutter speed. It isn't a direct conversion.

Samuel

fast camera??? I think this refers to shutter count per second?
fast lens... even if it is f/1.4, most will stop down... but with this lens, helps in faster focusing, esp in low light

fast lens refers strictly to the maximum light gathering ability at the largest aperture size of a lens to gain maximum shutter speed given the various lighting condition, but regardless of ISO and filters. it relates directly to the maximum aperture size a lens is designed (with acceptable optic quality)

fast camera is less commonly used as a term, but can be referred to as per its processing speed, i.e. starting up, shutter lag, writing speed, speed in handling in camera processing such as noise reduction.

autofocus is a combined effort from the body and lens. i may not fully understand this as it is often not quantified (or maybe it is, but not to my limited knowledge)

any seniors or professionals here, pls correct me if i'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.