faster lens or faster camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the ADVICE

It should be "ADVISE", not "ADVICE". :)

In order for ppls to help you, maybe you should tell us what is your current setup, what limitation you face in your current setup, what you normal shoot and what you want to gain in the new body or lens?

Don't take it too hard. :)

what did i do?

Well, it is what you DIDN'T do... bro leong23 has explained.
I have encountered this so called 'problem' many times at diff forums, especially those posted by students (no offence)... asking what is the BEST equipment to get - sweet and simple question.

When we launched into explaining this and that, D2Xs lah, Canon 1 series lah, those f/2.8 lenses lah, then.. comes the punch line.... cannot afford! Waste our saliva only.
By telling your limitation (mostly $$ - students), what you normally shoot (I know, being young, sure like to shoot model)... as if u like landscape, then no need fast lens, but need tripod... see, the advise can be so different. If you want to shoot runway models, then u will need the bazooka 70-200 f/2.8... that also depends. Getting memory cards also need to see what you shoot mostly :) Simple question - headache answer!

I think the way advice is used is correct. its a noun. advise is not a noun.

heh, yeah, advise is a verb.

camera: canon 350D
lens:17-40L
next buy: $10 ticket to S.I.N. 2008 :bsmilie::sweat:

wow thats a sure nice way to start a discussion... hmmm, like what the others have proposed maybe you should state in this forum what equipment you have and would want... from there i think it would be a little easier to guide you.

Can't help much if you don't help yourself first.

Try to give more details of ur question. We are only able to help u when u give detailed questions, not jus 2 lines.

My advice is, how fast you need? If you are doing event covering, fast lens is important. If you are doing still life, no harm staying whole day there waiting it to focus as long as it gives you sharp focus! Using eos 350D (but can't afford one). Gd response. I dun think u need anything faster than that. That's good enuff. Perhaps telephoto lens for event coverage?
If you going landscapes, your current lens is good enuff.

Advice or Advise? Maybe i'm wrong.

So is our threadstarter ready to input some info before we can help you? :)

think we should give the guy a break. we are repeating the same thing. if he got the idea, he got the idea.

misunderstanding.
faster lens can only give you faster shutter speed at expense of DOF.
faster camera can give you faster shutter speed at smaller aperture.
Am i correct? any comments?

most times, people refer to faster camera in terms of focussing speed, file writing speed, higher burst rate, etc, rather than having higher ISO that give u faster shutter speeds.

camera: canon 350D
lens:17-40L
next buy: ?

Hi, I started a few months ago and I started with D80 kit plus the essentials like a tripod, flash unit, and 50mm. I usually do travel, street, and conference photography.

1) Tripod - good for night scenes of large buildings especially at night. Also good for still photos, like taking pictures of the night sky or a waterfall/river etc.

2) Flash, this is very essential and can set you back by as much as S$500, good for daylight fill flash (not so often used), and night shots and low light conditions (conference rooms, hotel lobby, etc). Buy this if you often take pics in these kinda situations. The bad side of this is that it usually distorts the lighting in conference halls/changes the ambience of the pic (warm ambience becomes dull/normal).

3) 50mm/55m - still the best alternative to a high cost portrait lens. This is a very good investment as you will always want to see very nice blurring in your pics. You also don't need to use flash with this lens all the time.

4) After all of this, the next thing I really invested in was a fast lens - the 17-55 2.8F, pls note the aperture. With this lens, there is a big difference in my pictures, focusing to shooting time was now FAST, and this allows me to shoot pics without needing to use flash all the time. Its a bit heavy but worth the extra weight. Nowadays, I use this lens 80-90 percent of the time and has become a replacement for my kit lens. Btw, I am now selling my kit lens because of this.

4) But then again, if you usually take pics of zoos, birds, you might want to get a longer range to complement your existing lens, say something like a 70-200 range with IS/VR. Why do I say that you need IS/VR? Becoz with a lens like this, there is a big possibility for camera shaking due to the sheer weight of your camera plus lens.

GodSp33d.

hahaha.. :bsmilie: love your advise bro....
Mention so many times .......

Advise is NOT a noun!:nono:

It's ADVICE :cry:
Please also note that in any advice given there is always a VICE in it ... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.