Fan light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfgang said:
I see... hmm... how do i check if this is happening? :dunno:

Look into your mainboard BIOS for the setting. Since it's an Intel board, you can install the Intel Active Monitor utility that will show you the (estimated) fan speeds and PSU rail voltages when you're running XP. If you've lost the CD, just download the utility from the Intel site

Wai said:
try not to draw power from the motherboard directly because some fans may take so much current until your motherboard fried.

always connect the fan to the power supply (best if u use a dedicated cable for fans), try not to share one cable with the hard disk because the back current from the fan may shorten the life of the hard disk

Oh cool. :)

Thanks for your advice Wai. :)

kahheng said:
Er, now you're getting me puzzled. You had mentioned it was a CPU fan so is it for a heatsink or not?

In a typical fully assembled tower case, you'd have the following fans:

1. Chassis fans
2. CPU Heatsink fan
3. Northbridge fan (sometimes the manufacturer just use a large heatsink)
4. Graphics card fan (sometimes there isn't one)
5. PSU fan(s)

Chassis fans blow both in and out depending on their locations - the ones in front/on top/ by the sides are meant to suck cool air in, the ones at the rear typically suck warm air out.

CPU Heatsink fans and the fans found on chipsets typically blow DOWNwards onto the heatsinks.

So which fan type is yours? Doesn't sound like a CPU heatsink fan now.

Typically on the mainboard, there will be at least one power header for one 12V chassis fan (usually two these days) and another for the CPU fan, both speed controllable by the motherboard itself via the bios or the fan utility that comes with the board. I had a brief look at your board on the Intel website and I would guess, just like my Intel board, you just set the fan to be controlled by your mainboard through the bios. But check your manual for details.

When you have too many chassis fans, the case can get very loud of course. What I do is run my two front intake chassis fans at 5V (they usually run at 12V but I made a line adapter to power them with 5). The one at the back runs at a variable speed which is determined by the mobo heat sensor. I am also using a massive Zalman heatsink with a very quiet fan that is also running at variable speeds controlled by the mobo thermostat. I gave up on all other chassis fans because things got too loud! (I have something like 10-15 chassis fans of different sizes lying around waiting to used for whatever crap project next time.)

Hi KahHeng, my mistake. It is a chasis fan. :embrass: :embrass: :embrass:

kahheng said:
Once you install a UV light tube, you need to go all the way and get UV reactive cabling as well!

Hmm... Thats a thought... or i might just get a blue neon tube to match the fan's blue LED.
I was thinking the UV light just make everything inside the casing glow abit, ontop of the fan's LED blue light.

Mine is a 420V PSU. You reckon that is sufficient to power one more HDD & one more neon light tube? I already have the following installed:

1 DVD RW
1 CD RW/DVD Reader
1 Imation Super drive
4 inbuilt chassis fan
3 additional chassis fan (one which is the one withthe blue light) :p

PS: Whats the optimum temperature for the environment within the chassis anyway? :)

Wolfgang said:
Hmm... Thats a thought... or i might just get a blue neon tube to match the fan's blue LED.
I was thinking the UV light just make everything inside the casing glow abit, ontop of the fan's LED blue light.

Mine is a 420V PSU. You reckon that is sufficient to power one more HDD & one more neon light tube? I already have the following installed:

1 DVD RW
1 CD RW/DVD Reader
1 Imation Super drive
4 inbuilt chassis fan
3 additional chassis fan (one which is the one withthe blue light) :p

PS: Whats the optimum temperature for the environment within the chassis anyway? :)

1. It's best not to judge the ability of your PSU to power your devices by the box wattage of the PSU. Look at the separate current capability of the 12V and 5V rails and then total up the current draw of each device in your PC to see if the PSU can deliver enough juice. (I'd then add at least 20% overhead to be on the safe side the more the merrier.) Of course, the quality of the PSU's electronics plays a big part as well hence, you'd want to stick to good known brands. I am using a Tagan which has been perfect.

Read this excellent FiringSquad article on how to choose a PSU (I can't explain it any better than them):

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/

Also see this very good page:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=133

2. Hmm, the answer to your 'optimum temperature' question really is: as low as possible, or as low as you can make it. In Singapore weather indoors without aircon, it's hard to achieve the kinds of temps you tend to read about in online reviews.

kahheng said:
Read this excellent FiringSquad article on how to choose a PSU (I can't explain it any better than them):

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/

Also see this very good page:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=133

Hi KahHeng, thanks for sharing thus far. :) Very much appreciated. :)

kahheng said:
2. Hmm, the answer to your 'optimum temperature' question really is: as low as possible, or as low as you can make it. In Singapore weather indoors without aircon, it's hard to achieve the kinds of temps you tend to read about in online reviews.

Ok, lets forget optimum. Using the live update monitor, i see the temp for my processor zone hovering at abt 45 - 49 deg cel. Is that acceptable for a normal desktop? :dunno:

Wolfgang said:
Ok, lets forget optimum. Using the live update monitor, i see the temp for my processor zone hovering at abt 45 - 49 deg cel. Is that acceptable for a normal desktop? :dunno:

In Singapore climate, that's perfectly ok for a fan cooled P4 in a non freezing aircon room.

kahheng said:
In Singapore climate, that's perfectly ok for a fan cooled P4 in a non freezing aircon room.

Sweet. :)

Thanks mate, for all the info and advice so far. :)

I'll let you know again when i install the UV light tube... hehehe ;)

Wolfgang said:
Sweet. :)

Thanks mate, for all the info and advice so far. :)

I'll let you know again when i install the UV light tube... hehehe ;)

Just don't go blind. :)

that could be the lastest disco led light version for cpu fan...

Status
Not open for further replies.