Fader ND Filters

momobot

Jul 23, 2011
Hi,

Just wanted to do a quick check before I purchase this item.
Is brand matters in the quality of Fader ND Filters? Because I saw the price ranging from as low as $19-$100.
Any thoughts about this? any comments on the quality of the photos and the effectiveness of the item?

Thanks.

momobot said:
Hi,

Just wanted to do a quick check before I purchase this item.
Is brand matters in the quality of Fader ND Filters? Because I saw the price ranging from as low as $19-$100.
Any thoughts about this? any comments on the quality of the photos and the effectiveness of the item?

Thanks.

A filter, be it ND, UV, IR, colour or what have you is another optical media through which the light from your subject need to pass through to get to your sensor at the back of your camera. Anything you introduce into this path between your subject and sensor, will cause the path of the light to deviate, it will also change the composition and or density of the light reaching your sensor. Your requirement from this ND filter is just to reduce the intensity of the light, and to reduce it evenly over its entire surfaces, PERIOD. However, being made of glass, the filter will also cause reflection, refraction and deflection to the original path the light from subject to sensor. The delta of these attribute is what you are paying for in these filters, generally speaking. Of course there are always exception to this rule. So quality and reputation of the filter manufacturer is something you want to seriously looked into when selecting these filters or any other optics you plan to place between your subject and your sensor. There are also other chromatic deviations but maybe less so with these filters sitting outside the Len proper. Essentially it is not too far off to say that one gets what one paid for. Good and well made optics cost to produce, even ND ones. I'll rather not fix a cheap filter on my lens if I am not certain of it's impact on the outcome of the image I plan to create. I just fork out S$190 for a small little UV filter just to shield my latest lens from dust.

$19-$100? I'm no expert but I think good affordable ones are like LCW ($170 for 77mm) n some may say Genus too. If u want more ex one, can get Kenko for abt $300ish while most ex one (that I know) would be Singhray brand which is about USD600++ :D

Thanks for the tips, and recommendations. USD600+ filter. even more expensive than my camera+lens setup.:eek:
:D

i had the rare hoya pol fader, anyone with lcw and singh ray want to have a shoot out session with this old relic?
to test for sharpness and cast

larlarloo said:
$19-$100? I'm no expert but I think good affordable ones are like LCW ($170 for 77mm) n some may say Genus too. If u want more ex one, can get Kenko for abt $300ish while most ex one (that I know) would be Singhray brand which is about USD600++ :D

When I checked out the kenko fader, the only reason I derive for its ridiculous price is that it has the thinnest frame for a fader I've ever seen. I bet even a tokina 11-16 @ 11mm have no vignette prob with this.

am getting the LCW fader ND ...
can check out some comparison in youtube, video comparison