Faces of Sapa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecclesiasm

May 3, 2003
Bedok
marvinlee.multiply.com
Just returned from a trip to Vietnam. I was really captivated by the beauty of her people. Would like to share some of the faces from my memories of Sapa. All taken during my trek to Thakfin village on the same day.

dsc00751_lzn_std_std.jpg

dsc00755_lzn_std_std.jpg

dsc00765_lzn_std_std.jpg

dsc00783_std_std.jpg

dsc00787_std_std.jpg

very nice potraits! I'm going to Sapa in Jan too, seeing your photos, I can't wait to lug my gear there. Did you sign up with any trekking companies there or free and easy DIY yourself?

Nice album!.. i going to vietnam Hanoi on March.. mind to know how to book train tickets to SAPA?

hey! i just got back from sapa too!! absolutely love the place!

there are tours that include accomodation and day treks and they all can be booked in hanoi. don't bother booking online because it'll cost almost twice as much. do bring a few sweets to give to the kids there. they'll be more open to shots.

beware: photo money, photo money!!

very nice potraits! I'm going to Sapa in Jan too, seeing your photos, I can't wait to lug my gear there. Did you sign up with any trekking companies there or free and easy DIY yourself?

I suggest DIY. Book your hotel when you arrive at Sapa. I got my rooms even faster then those who had prior bookings as they needed to wait for their preassigned rooms. I suggest just renting a motorbike and travelling on your own. It's cheap and good. If you wish to, hire a rider to drive you around for USD$5 whole day. that way you can focus on your shots =)

Nice album!.. i going to vietnam Hanoi on March.. mind to know how to book train tickets to SAPA?

Head down to the train station and Hanoi and book your overnight tickets. Get the first class ones and you will enjoy yourselves better. It's only a couple of dollars more per pax. Don't bother to sign up for tours in Sapa through agencies as they only act as middlemen and earn some commission from you. You're better off getting what you need when you reach Lao Cai station. There'll be people to attend to you there. =)

do bring a few sweets to give to the kids there. they'll be more open to shots.

Yes, beautiful ain't it? ;)

I don't give photo money when asked. I only give when I want to (and usually when not asked). You'll find that you'll get more shots in Sapa than in Hanoi. Likely. =)

there are tours that include accomodation and day treks and they all can be booked in hanoi. don't bother booking online because it'll cost almost twice as much. do bring a few sweets to give to the kids there. they'll be more open to shots.

yea, i totally agree that its a beautiful place with genuine good people. But i have to disagree on giving sweets to the kids. From what i learnt from the kids, they love sweets alot, some of them sell accessories to buy sweets.
I believe sweets were introduced by tourists. Giving them sweets and money only encourage them to beg, or rather its as good as begging. Kids eating too much sweets cause tooth decay too.

But i hope the above method is not the only way that can bring you more good photos. :D

lovely series!!!thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

I suggest DIY. Book your hotel when you arrive at Sapa. I got my rooms even faster then those who had prior bookings as they needed to wait for their preassigned rooms. I suggest just renting a motorbike and travelling on your own. It's cheap and good. If you wish to, hire a rider to drive you around for USD$5 whole day. that way you can focus on your shots =)

Head down to the train station and Hanoi and book your overnight tickets. Get the first class ones and you will enjoy yourselves better. It's only a couple of dollars more per pax. Don't bother to sign up for tours in Sapa through agencies as they only act as middlemen and earn some commission from you. You're better off getting what you need when you reach Lao Cai station. There'll be people to attend to you there. =)

Yes, beautiful ain't it? ;)

I don't give photo money when asked. I only give when I want to (and usually when not asked). You'll find that you'll get more shots in Sapa than in Hanoi. Likely. =)

Thanks for your advice! Is it easy to walk around and get a room at Sapa? I read that there'll be touts and all who will be trying to get you to some hotel? I can't motorbike so don't really dare to rent one, might do the USD5 one whole day thing, but do they bike you around to the various villagers automatically? Or do you need to tell them where to go? Did you hire a guide? Is it really difficult to trek on your own w/o getting lost?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Very nice series..

Just very puzzled by the inclusion of the "under-exposed and overly processed" black pic. You must have your reason.

Thanks for your advice! Is it easy to walk around and get a room at Sapa? I read that there'll be touts and all who will be trying to get you to some hotel? I can't motorbike so don't really dare to rent one, might do the USD5 one whole day thing, but do they bike you around to the various villagers automatically? Or do you need to tell them where to go? Did you hire a guide? Is it really difficult to trek on your own w/o getting lost?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

IMO, getting a room wasn't a problem. I had planned to put up at Royal Sapa Hotel and just ignored the recommendations for other hotels. FYI, we were only 'touted' once and that was because one of the passengers on the cab stopped at his hotel and the manageress took the opportunity to invite us to stay at her hotel. The rest of us headed to the more touristy section of Sapa town where you are provided with all your tourists' needs---hotel, restaurants, tour guides, drivers, bike rentals, cab, etc.

Hotels in this area:
Royal Sapa: USD$16/night BF incl (stayed here; bedroom good. view good. toilet no good.)
Mountain View: From USD$6-18/night (used their tour service on first day. Good restaurant. cheap and good)
Lotus (I think): pricing N.A, but I think I'll try this next time. Befriended the son of the hotel owner. :)
Royal View: From USD$45/night (full hotel facilities)

FYI, RS, MV and RV are a chain of hotels. Ask for a preview of the rooms before committing. That's what I did. =)

Now, for touring recommendations:
#1: Tour packages available at hotels, usually you'll be quoted USD$10/pax/destination and this inlcudes a picnic meal en route. Guide and transport included.

#2: DIY tour. Ferried by taxis or motorbikes to your destinations. Depends on your bargaining powers. If the price is higher than #1, why don't you stick with #1 then? lol

#3: Ultimate DIY: Ask for bike rental which is about USD$5/day excl petrol. They will direct you to the rental outfit. Ask to try the motorbike and for them to teach you. They will and I learnt to ride in 15 minutes. Could even pillion my cousin after that. :) We rented 3 bikes for the three of us. However, we felt that it'll be more productive to have a driver with us in case of emergencies. So we hired one at USD$5/day. For the first part of the journey, my cousin rode their own bikes while I was a pillion on the driver's bike. This freed me up to take shots while moving through the mountains. This was fun. Anyways, the driver ended up being my tour guide, driver, liaisons officer, and riding teacher.

In Vietnam, tipping is encouraged. From my experience, there wasn't a time when I had tipped anyone involuntarily. :)

Let me know how your trip goes in the end. ;)

yea, i totally agree that its a beautiful place with genuine good people. But i have to disagree on giving sweets to the kids. From what i learnt from the kids, they love sweets alot, some of them sell accessories to buy sweets.
I believe sweets were introduced by tourists. Giving them sweets and money only encourage them to beg, or rather its as good as begging. Kids eating too much sweets cause tooth decay too.

But i hope the above method is not the only way that can bring you more good photos. :D

haha nope, sweets was smth someone suggested to me. preparation for the trip was quite a rush and thankfully i forgot that, there were kids everywhere and wouldn't want them swarming around me. haha

i rather took candid shots of them and scooted off before they could start asking for money. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.