F3.5

Impressed by effects? :think: As much as I can understand but my advice is to get over it. Technical effects don't make a good picture, it can only support what is there already. The term here is "subject isolation" by using a selective focus only on the subject, leaving the rest in (more or less) blur, unsharp, out of focus. It's one element of image composition.
Aperture helps here, since it is one factor defining the Depth of Field. Other factors as mentioned: focal length, distance to subject, distance from subject to background. Bokeh is, finally, nothing but a subjective judgment how pleasing those parts of the image look that are out of focus. So why are you focusing on something that is supposed to be out of focus? :)
More to read about Depth of Field: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

haha.. i catch no balls.. i am just a regular shooter so i will be amazed by bokeh effect.. of cos not everything use bokeh effect.. but some object when taken need bokeh effect to make it stand out mah.

i suggest you go try it out yourself.
I'm still a noob myself so i'm still learning.
And i feel that this bokeh thing, is just a matter of time you realise how you get it.
You can understand it in 1 shot, SNAP! and you understand.
and it also could be after 60shots and you still don't understand why.

in any case, google bokeh. i'm sure there are some links that are good.

"Last but not least, heres the spoon to feed you,
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=309544
remember to feed it when another newbie comes. "
I remember seeing this qoute here and its so well said.

finally see a light at the end of the tunnel liao.. i dun need so imba bokeh effect.. i just wanna see in my picture the bokeh effect can liao.. haha.. so i need to get a lens that have high aperture can liao? so i can just max zoom,highest apreture and done?
If photography were so easy, why do we see endless debates and discussions here about bokeh and whatnot? According your conclusion you should focus on 200mm f/2.8 lenses or longer. Don't bother with 50mm or other short stuffs. Get the real tubes!
And when you show us your pictures we might all have a good afternoon and point you to countless details you forgot and where no lens can help you. Go and search for the everlasting threads about "Is it the photographer or the equipment?" .. hope it will help a bit :)

i suggest you go try it out yourself.
I'm still a noob myself so i'm still learning.
And i feel that this bokeh thing, is just a matter of time you realise how you get it.
You can understand it in 1 shot, SNAP! and you understand.
and it also could be after 60shots and you still don't understand why.

in any case, google bokeh. i'm sure there are some links that are good.

"Last but not least, heres the spoon to feed you,
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=309544
remember to feed it when another newbie comes. "
I remember seeing this qoute here and its so well said.

If photography were so easy, why do we see endless debates and discussions here about bokeh and whatnot? According your conclusion you should focus on 200mm f/2.8 lenses or longer. Don't bother with 50mm or other short stuffs. Get the real tubes!
And when you show us your pictures we might all have a good afternoon and point you to countless details you forgot and where no lens can help you. Go and search for the everlasting threads about "Is it the photographer or the equipment?" .. hope it will help a bit :)

haha i know i know.. but i am currentl a student and still saving up money.. so i now gathering info before i buy mah... dun want after buy cannot have the effect or something like that then waste my money.. haha.. i am considering 550d+ef-s 18-85mm!!! :D

wahahaha. I must say this link that we both recommend is good. I saved it last time to read, now i saved it to share. :D:thumbsup:

haha.. wow both give same link!! haha.. so to say.. the distance from the camera to the object must be nearer then the distance to the background? haha!

I don't want to come off as rude, but 'bokeh effect' is not the right term to use.
Bokeh refers to the quality of the out of focus parts of a photo.
You could refer to such shots as having shallow depth of field (DOF) or good subject isolation.

The DOF is affected by :
1. Aperture (larger aperture (ie. smaller f number) gives less DOF)
2. Focus distance to subject (closer will give shallower DOF)
3. Distance of bkgnd to subject (further will increase the blur as its more out of focus)

Do a read up as suggested.

As important, just use the lens you have and experiment with the variables mentioned above and see for yourself ;)

Found this shot on flickr, taken at f5.6, might have lots of what u mean by bokeh effect ( What is a bokeh effect ? sounds like a misnomer ;p ) as well
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darwishh/416557398/sizes/l/in/photostream/

There are other aspects to achieve subject isolation, aperture being one of them

Ryan

haha yeah.. i talking something like the pic u link.. F5.6? wow.. now i confuse liao.. i thought higher aperture will get this effect? :(

I don't want to come off as rude, but 'bokeh effect' is not the right term to use.
Bokeh refers to the quality of the out of focus parts of a photo.
You could refer to such shots as having shallow depth of field (DOF) or good subject isolation.

The DOF is affected by :
1. Aperture (larger aperture (ie. smaller f number) gives less DOF)
2. Focus distance to subject (closer will give shallower DOF)
3. Distance of bkgnd to subject (further will increase the blur as its more out of focus)

Do a read up as suggested.

As important, just use the lens you have and experiment with the variables mentioned above and see for yourself ;)

yeah.. i meant shallow dof :p haha.. thanks for correcting me.. i did read up alot but still dam confuse.. hmmm.. becos i dun wan waste money on lens that cannot have this shallow dof effect.. i was thinking of this combo.. 550d+ef-s 18-85mm F3.5/5.6? can this lens do the trick?

Is there such a lens as 18-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ?
I thought canon had 15-85 (before that was 17-85) and 18-55.

Seems like you want as thin a depth-of-field as possible.
Ideally you should get a large aperture (small f-number), long focal length lens, and have the appropriate camera-subject and subject-background distance.

To answer your question briefly, yes it can achieve this "bokeh effect", but if it's blur enough or not, I can't say for sure.

Is there such a lens as 18-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ?
I thought canon had 15-85 (before that was 17-85) and 18-55.

Seems like you want as thin a depth-of-field as possible.
Ideally you should get a large aperture (small f-number), long focal length lens, and have the appropriate camera-subject and subject-background distance.

To answer your question briefly, yes it can achieve this "bokeh effect", but if it's blur enough or not, I can't say for sure.

opps.. sorry i meant either 15-85mm f3.5/5.6 or 18-135mm F3.5-5.6...

hmmm.. yeah i know but wanna know if either this 2 lens can do the blur effect or not.. :C

hmmm.. yeah i know but wanna know if either this 2 lens can do the blur effect or not.. :C
The simple answer is YES.
But don't blame me if you buy already and find this "blur effect" (we should stop using this incorrect term) is still not blur enough for your liking.

Evidently you haven't learnt anything from this thread. Yes they can. In fact, if you aren't looking for "imba" bokeh as you put it, then, in fact, an ordinary point and shoot camera can do the job. Your kit lens can acheive bokeh. Don't waste money buying new lenses if you are only trying to acheive that.

Evidently you haven't learnt anything from this thread. Yes they can. In fact, if you aren't looking for "imba" bokeh as you put it, then, in fact, an ordinary point and shoot camera can do the job. Your kit lens can acheive bokeh. Don't waste money buying new lenses if you are only trying to acheive that.
Err... Sorry. May I ask what is "imba bokeh" ?

Err... Sorry. May I ask what is "imba bokeh" ?

It's the phrase TS used. "Imba" is stands for imbalanced but is a colloquial term for, well, "very good". So I assume "imba bokeh" refers to a very shallow depth of field.

o.0 kit lens can acheive bokeh? can u show me a pic? i dun think kit lens can do.. i am just curious..
:sweat: