EZ link card with Giro

Oh.. maybe yours is direct debit from bank account..

Those using credit card to top-up one will have $0.25 fee.. guess it's the trend now..

Yes, why I have money in the bank, do a direct debit, and still get charged a fee? I just can't understand. The worse thing is that Singaporeans just keep quiet and no one make noise? This is just pure absurdity.

If you consider buying a car in Singapore as an investment, then you can forget about doing other investment liao. :bsmilie:

My "future" job. Its quite high in salary and also quite high percentage in failing to get the job.
But if i cant be one in singapore , i would go overseas . And migrate there , if everything permits.

Overseas , car are cheaper. I assume:)

Actually , this topic actually depend on each people finance status and salary wise.
ok. I am going abit OT. Sorry.:cry:

Last edited:
Pay more? Pay and Pay? I think you are too used to singapore's pay and pay culture.

Do you know that by going GIRO, they actually save money? Less counters to man, less ticketing machines to deploy. And you are saying it is no problem for customers to pay more to reduce their overheads?

Best of all, the banks do not charge the vendors for GIRO. The old card didn't charge for GIRO, but the new card charge?

The state of our brainwashed nation these days....sigh.

since you want something easy to be done..should pay more.
I dont see any problem.

Top up 100 means they got more money in their float to reinvest.

The main reason for charging 25 cents is in my opinion, profiteering, and trying to get people to put more, like you said, to avoid the charge.

With a big float, they can then reinvest and then earn EVEN more.

I don't think its a matter of affordability. How about YOU give me 25 cents for NOTHING; I'm sure you can afford it.

erm,,,,then top $100 at one go lor, then it will detuct 25 cents only. if you top up $20 5 times, then u have to pay 1 dollar.

your Occupation is IT, dont tell me u cant afford 25 cents

From your comments in this thread, ending with THIS comment, I can tell you are obviously not in touch with reality and are leading too sheltered a life.

Cars are never investments; they are depreciating expenses.

Not rich or not rich de matter when buying car.
It's a kind of "investment" i can say

Any cards with pre-loaded money(link card, phone card etc...) for future spending are considered day light robberies, as they earn interest from our pre-loaded money but we get nothing from that, not to mention about the 25 cents charge....:thumbsd:

now i don't agree with that

you get to choose how much you preload what.

don't like don't choose lor.. :dunno:

No it doesn't. I can safely speculate that I will be earning more than you when you get your future job and yet I see an objection with the 25 cents being imposed on a captive market.

You need a recheck on reality.

My "future" job. Its quite high in salary and also quite high percentage in failing to get the job.
But if i cant be one in singapore , i would go overseas . And migrate there , if everything permits.

Overseas , car are cheaper. I assume:)

Actually , this topic actually depend on each people finance status and salary wise.
ok. I am going abit OT. Sorry.:cry:

since you want something easy to be done..should pay more.
I dont see any problem.

of course easy if you everyday pass by mrt..

some days if say, i suddenly have to travel more because of work, then suddenly my ez link run out, no atm nearby, far away from humanity, and the nearest civilisation is a 40 minute walk, and i have no coins, only a $50 note in wallet.. you will appreciate that giro is useful and not just about being "easy"

the other day i encountered that, luckily i had $2 note.. but that was for a ride that i would have paid 69 cents using ez link card. :bsmilie:

If single trip tickets cost the same as stored value tickets; then this argument may be valid. At this point, they are not. Minimum topup is 10 dollars I believe; which is 8x-10x the price of a single trip.

now i don't agree with that

you get to choose how much you preload what.

don't like don't choose lor.. :dunno:

The amount of "float" going around with stored value cards is tremendous; which is why every tom dick and harry are jumping on the stored value bandwagon.

Starting from TransitLInk cards, now we see things like Kopitiam stored value card and the like. Everyone knows having a float from stored value cards is a winning proposition; as you can use other people's money to run your business, or better, to expand/reinvest.

i wouldnt waste money take public transport. I would rather buy a car if i were you.

And its only 4 bus stop or 8 minutes drive to my "future" work place.

:eek::eek::eek:

wa, buy car like going market..

if you end up rowing to pulau ubin, please remember that nai meh kor kor said once that you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch :bsmilie:

If single trip tickets cost the same as stored value tickets; then this argument may be valid. At this point, they are not. Minimum topup is 10 dollars I believe; which is 8x-10x the price of a single trip.

by nets i think is $10.. by cash i think any amount also can.. but i very long time never use cash to top up. :)

good luck,

normally most higher paying jobs in singapore are very nice for singaporeans.

if you go overseas, be prepared to fight with tooth and nail if you want the same amount of salary or higher. unless you don't mind going to antartica or something.. :bsmilie:

Hahah same here, I'm on GIRO, and will probably stay on it as long a I can :p

After that, switching to credit card. Since have to pay 25 cents either way, might as well get the credit card rebates. GIRO version lagi worse, need to give deposit equal to the topup amt set. CC dont need.

by nets i think is $10.. by cash i think any amount also can.. but i very long time never use cash to top up. :)

After that, switching to credit card. Since have to pay 25 cents either way, might as well get the credit card rebates. GIRO version lagi worse, need to give deposit equal to the topup amt set. CC dont need.

well , later i should pass by an mrt station, can check.

by atm, i am not sure, i think $5 also can?

i don't have giro yet.. but i used to have, it was so convenient :heart:

Well.. First of all, is there a choice/alternative? Next, make noise got use?

Edit: maybe those in the opp ward can feedback to their MPs.. maybe will have some use.. guess it'll be more useful than few pple discuss it in online forums.. ;)

Yes, why I have money in the bank, do a direct debit, and still get charged a fee? I just can't understand. The worse thing is that Singaporeans just keep quiet and no one make noise? This is just pure absurdity.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure; dont make noise, confirm no use. make noise, MAYBE got use. Hence, I choose to make noise.

Well.. First of all, is there a choice/alternative? Next, make noise got use?

Edit: maybe those in the opp ward can feedback to their MPs.. maybe will have some use.. guess it'll be more useful than few pple discuss it in online forums.. ;)

Bro, yes, I just received a letter from TransitLink, telling me to exchange my old card for a new one. As what you've mentioned, which makes my blood boils even faster, they will charge a deposit equal to the top-up amount, i.e., if you choose to top-up every time at $50, they EzLink will collect $50 as a deposit first! :angry::angry::angry:

I will choose to go back to manual top-up, using ATM, since there's an ATM below my office where I work. They want money, I won't even give them a single cent! If whole of Singapore can boycott them like this, I think EzLink sure close shop. :thumbsup:

Well, they MAY not close shop, but they will earn less. They won't close shop because almost everyone, including you, are still using the EZ link card to pay for your MRT/bus fares.

They only profiteer less because you don't pay them S$1.50 + S$0.25 (per transaction) + S$50 deposit.

Bro, yes, I just received a letter from TransitLink, telling me to exchange my old card for a new one. As what you've mentioned, which makes my blood boils even faster, they will charge a deposit equal to the top-up amount, i.e., if you choose to top-up every time at $50, they EzLink will collect $50 as a deposit first! :angry::angry::angry:

I will choose to go back to manual top-up, using ATM, since there's an ATM below my office where I work. They want money, I won't even give them a single cent! If whole of Singapore can boycott them like this, I think EzLink sure close shop. :thumbsup:

Well, they MAY not close shop, but they will earn less. They won't close shop because almost everyone, including you, are still using the EZ link card to pay for your MRT/bus fares.

They only profiteer less because you don't pay them S$1.50 + S$0.25 (per transaction) + S$50 deposit.

Let's make them earn even less then. Every Singaporean don't ever use EzLink Giro facility! :angry:

Let's make them earn even less then. Every Singaporean don't ever use EzLink Giro facility! :angry:

:eek:

if you want to take it further, you can try getting every singaporean to not use ezlink :devil: