Eye One Display 2 + iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

iboey

Jun 16, 2006
Eastern Singapore
www.iboey.com
Is there anyone using this setup?

I would like to purchase an iMac and it comes with ATI Radeon GFX card. I have problems using spyder calibrators on ATI radeon cards, very frustrating due to its conflicting issues.

Does Eye Display 2 have conflict issues with ATI Radeon GFX cards? :confused:

Not that I know of bro. Im using ATI with ACD.

Hi iBoey

I recall sometime ago, someone told me that Macintosh computers do not use the ATI drivers, instead, Mac uses something else within the Mac OS. Because of this, ATI Cards on Mac should not have conflict issues with the Spyder profile loading - unlike on Windows platforms.

Actually, if you uninstall the ATI Catalyst Control Centre (CCC), it should remove/solve the conflict issues on Window platform as well. Personally, I uninstalled the CCC on my PC, and the Spyder profile loads successfully everytime without problem.

However, do check around with experienced Mac users to confirm that Mac uses their own drivers for ATI cards. It is better to confirm again with Mac users.

Going to Mac, I think it's a good choice, so just pick the right model. I heard that the 24 inch model may be too bright, and some users experienced difficulty calibrating the brightness level down to 120 cdm. So ask around to confirm whether the brightness level may be a problem for the 24 inch iMac. Max your RAM, this will really make a difference.

By the way, it seems that iOne Display 3 will be coming quite soon, and it should be this year. If you are not in need of a replacement urgently, you may want to wait a while.

:)

By the way, it seems that iOne Display 3 will be coming quite soon, and it should be this year. If you are not in need of a replacement urgently, you may want to wait a while.

Colormunki is a better product than the iOne

I use spyder 3 elite on my 24inch iMac. No issues at all. =D (My iMac uses an ATI card btw)

I use spyder 3 elite on my 24inch iMac. No issues at all. =D (My iMac uses an ATI card btw)

Hi ShaoWei

Are you using the new Aluminum 24 inch iMac?

Are you able to calibrate the brightness level down to 120cdm, which is recommended for photo-editing work? (the 24 inch has a maximun brightness of 400 cdm, way to high)

Colormunki is a better product than the iOne

Jopel, do you have any idea how much the colormunki is selling for?

Hi Visuals, yes, I'm using the 24" aluminum imac. I do agree that the screen's way too bright at its lowest brightness settings, sad that this is a flaw, but I find that i can cope with it. I bring the spyder with me when I need to show people stuff so their screen matches the setting that I have on the mac.

Hi Visuals, yes, I'm using the 24" aluminum imac. I do agree that the screen's way too bright at its lowest brightness settings, sad that this is a flaw, but I find that i can cope with it. I bring the spyder with me when I need to show people stuff so their screen matches the setting that I have on the mac.

Hi Shao Wei

I consulted Andrew R. (the digital dog) about the glossy iMac 24 inch very recently. There are users who experienced difficulty in callibrating this model, mainly because of the piece of glass in front of the LCD panel. He did not elaborate what the difficulties are. What's your own experience so far - are you able to obtain accurate colours after calibrating with your Spyder 3?

By the way, when you say it is too bright even at the lowest setting, may I know, how many cdm does the Spyder program measured? The program is able to show you the brightness level after calibration -like 140 cdm for example. I would very much like to know what is the lowest level of brightness achievable.

Too BRIGHT for our eyes :cool:

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Shao Wei

I consulted Andrew R. (the digital dog) about the glossy iMac 24 inch very recently. There are users who experienced difficulty in callibrating this model, mainly because of the piece of glass in front of the LCD panel. He did not elaborate what the difficulties are. What's your own experience so far - are you able to obtain accurate colours after calibrating with your Spyder 3?

By the way, when you say it is too bright even at the lowest setting, may I know, how many cdm does the Spyder program measured? The program is able to show you the brightness level after calibration -like 140 cdm for example. I would very much like to know what is the lowest level of brightness achievable.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Visuals,

I'll check it out for you next week when i get back to my desk. Apparently the problem I had with the glossy screen is when the afternoon sun shines in and the screen reflects light from the window; I cannot do calibration properly. This was resolved using the suction cup option from the spyer 3 elite. (previously, i would use the hang from the top of my panel option.) and of coz the trouble with the suction cup is it does leave stains that you have to wipe off after calibration.

ShaoWei

Hi Visuals

Apologies for the late reply, I found no means of checking the brightness of the screen in cdm via the spyder 3 program. Color accuracy wise, its quite accurate when i put up a color bar test screen and a white to black gamma test screen after calibration. I wasn't able to differentiate the last 3 white and black shades before.

SW

Hi Shao Wei

Thanks for sharing.

i notice mac displays are all like that.
my ACD, my imac, all are too bright for my liking.

i have to literally brighten up my room in order to work with these machines.

only my MBP is ok as it is able to dim to the level i want.

My biggest purchase disappointment this year has to be the new 24" iMac aluminium. The glossy glass panel is a joke. I took it off permanently to reduce the red cast after doing calibration. Any software update won't work since the glass is the main cause of the problem. Now, it is barely on standard with my Viewsonic.

Besides that, the LCD panel itself... (oh my god) what a pain it was after finding out that it has light leak problems. Really bad light leak problem when viewing in a very dim or dark room. So much for having 178 deg viewing angle, the left hand side of my LCD is brighter than the centre and right portion. I talked to my supplier about this and his reply was the iMac wasn't designed for critical post production application. No matter how many machine changes I make, nothing is going to please me. Oh come on. Unacceptable. For a S$3K machine, they had to cut corners and put the cheapest panel (its an LG.Philips btw). The brightness is another problem as well something only Mac fanboys would understand. Its too bright for any serious photo editing work and even my lab printers are complaining my pics are too dark when I sent for print.

My uneducated guess seems to say I totally fall victim for Apple's advertising. This iMac is nothing but an expensive toy for rich kids. Its was designed for those with space constraints, surfing the net, do simple office work and especially showing off but when it boils down to serious photo editing work, it falls flat into the pit. I have this urge to go back to my primitive PC but seeing the iMac sitting pretty like that, I am just going to make do with the shortcomings. *Big sigh*

Rant over and out.

PS: For those with balls, here's a video instruction on how to easily remove the glass panel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0o2WdrN3M

My biggest purchase disappointment this year has to be the new 24" iMac aluminium. The glossy glass panel is a joke. I took it off permanently to reduce the red cast after doing calibration. Any software update won't work since the glass is the main cause of the problem. Now, it is barely on standard with my Viewsonic.

Besides that, the LCD panel itself... (oh my god) what a pain it was after finding out that it has light leak problems. Really bad light leak problem when viewing in a very dim or dark room. So much for having 178 deg viewing angle, the left hand side of mine LCD is brighter than the centre and right portion. I talked to my supplier about this and his reply was the iMac wasn't designed for critical post production application. No matter how many machine changes I make, nothing is going to please me. Oh come on. Unacceptable. For a S$3K machine, they had to cut corners and put the cheapest panel (its an NEC btw). The brightness is another problem as well something only Mac fanboys would understand. Its too bright for any serious photo editing work and even my lab printers are complaining my pics are too dark when I sent for print.

My uneducated guess seems to say I totally fall victim for Apple's advertising. This iMac is nothing but an expensive toy for rich kids. Its was designed for those with space constraints, surfing the net, do simple office work and especially showing off but when it boils down to serious photo editing work, it falls flat into the pit. I have this urge to go back to my primitive PC but seeing the iMac sitting pretty like that, I am just going to make do with the shortcomings. *Big sigh*

Rant over and out.

PS: For those with balls, here's a video instruction on how to easily remove the glass panel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0o2WdrN3M

goodness...i dint know the new imac has such problems.
mine is the older version of the imac.the all white type and doesnt come with a glass panel.

i'm now tempted to buy a polarising film and stick it over the mac displays.
it is really way too bright.but i'm afraid when i send my pics for prints..everything is screwed.
ho?
sigh.

goodness...i dint know the new imac has such problems.
mine is the older version of the imac.the all white type and doesnt come with a glass panel.

i'm now tempted to buy a polarising film and stick it over the mac displays.
it is really way too bright.but i'm afraid when i send my pics for prints..everything is screwed.
ho?
sigh.
Well, I didn't know too when I made the purchase. That's the problem with buying Apple stuff. You will only know when you start using them. My other option was (as recommended by my money minded supplier) is to go for the higher end model (G5). Like no freaking way man. I'd rather rig up my PC with that kind of money.

I don't think the polarising film will do much help. I guess you just have to soft proof your pictures on another well calibrated machine.

Another big sigh...

Well, I didn't know too when I made the purchase. That's the problem with buying Apple stuff. You will only know when you start using them. My other option was (as recommended by my money minded supplier) is to go for the higher end model (G5). Like no freaking way man. I'd rather rig up my PC with that kind of money.

I don't think the polarising film will do much help. I guess you just have to soft proof your pictures on another well calibrated machine.

Another big sigh...

Hello Hazmee,

The iMac has a video out port that can be connected to another LCD. Granted that it's not a cheap workaround but some folks have tried this method since the external LCD can be profiled properly.

Regards
Wes

Hello Hazmee,

The iMac has a video out port that can be connected to another LCD. Granted that it's not a cheap workaround but some folks have tried this method since the external LCD can be profiled properly.

Regards
Wes
Hi wesley,

Thank you for the suggestion mate. Granted that I am now living together with my in-laws and working space seems scarce, I might have to put that on hold. I will try your suggestion when I get my own place. Cheers mate!

Note to self: Don't look for the truth if you can't handle it. Ignorance is a bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.