Exposure Problem with the 300D

Status
Not open for further replies.

malabar290

Sep 11, 2003
East Coast
Visit site
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone out there has any problems with the exposure of this camera? I've been taking pictures on this camera for a while and realised that the pictures sometimes comes up underexposed (in auto mode, AV or Shutter speed setting). I have to go to the manual mode and overexpose the picture by one stop.

Is it my camera, or what am I doing wrongly? Of course, sometimes the pictures come up just right (esp in bright sun) .. didn't have such problems with my old SLR ... :(

maybe you should post the underexposed shot to let us share.

why do you need to switch to manual mode to compensate EV +1 ? you can use Av mode, focus, use dial to EV +1.

Really, didn't know I can do that - thanks - will definitely try that next time.

I 'cleaned' those underexposed shots up using PS - Auto Levels, so don't really have any underexposed shots right now. Will share them once it occurs again - which is not too far away I think :embrass:

Understand the metering mode and the way you compose. If you see a lot of bright or white area within the viewfinder frame, you should get a underexposed shot easily. Try to read up metering and exposure articles :)

They were all taken in a room with generally dim conditions (taking photos of my baby lar :) ), and the viewfinder was all on the baby, so no background lighting to interfere with exposure readings...

I nearly always have to use PS to correct for exposure - that shouldnt be common right?

What mode did you use when you get underexposed ?

If you are using Av mode, check your exposure bar, ensure it is at the ZERO and not negative value. How to set to zero? Just meter and focus lock at the object, use dial button to turn to adjust the bar to ZERO.

Time to post your baby shots ;)

Actually, I had a lot more problems with background underexposure with the 300D before. The onboard flash on the 300D is way inadequate for proper flash photography - in fact, I got better flash results with a 10 buck disposal camera.

I never really encountered too many problems with non-flash photography. Maybe you should send your camera in for a check up?

Lindsay Tan said:
in fact, I got better flash results with a 10 buck disposal camera.

That's because your 10 buck camera uses film. Overexposure is more muted compared to digital.

On my 300D I usually set my EC to -1/3 stop to prevent OVEREXPOSURE. Slight underexpsure you can always adjust up in PS or PI but overexposure/ saturation is very difficult esp i the patches are big.

Some P&S cameras tend to overexpose in my experience - which can lead to nasty patches. In my experience, the 300D slightly underexposes, the G series gets it about right most of the time but overexposes sometimes, and cheaper P&Ss overexpose a lot more often.

Bear in mind that exposure is based on 18% grey so if there is a lot of white you need to overexpose. The reverse if there is a lot of dark colours.

Agree...
300D tends to underexpose by almost 1 stop. It's a consumer camera after all.

I remember reading in this forum once abt this problem, 300D tends to underexpose from 1/3 to 1 stop. I have this probelm too, thus I only use RAW. I do exposure touch-up after that.
Anyway, underexposure is better than over-exposure. With over-exposure, all data are lost.

evq said:
I remember reading in this forum once abt this problem, 300D tends to underexpose from 1/3 to 1 stop. I have this probelm too, thus I only use RAW. I do exposure touch-up after that.
Anyway, underexposure is better than over-exposure. With over-exposure, all data are lost.
Yes, Initially I was also suffering wrong exposure and wrong WB. After I got the Sandisk Ultra II 512MB, I start shooting in RAW. Now quite happy with my pictures. Exposure and WB touch-up in RAW really helps a lot :)

Suggest 300D user to shoot RAW :thumbsup:

As others have mentioned on this thread, understanding the light meter on your camera and how it meters is essential to getting the pictures you want.

- Firstly there is NO such thing as the correct exposure. The lightmeter of the camera is not intelligent and merely does its job. YOU determine what the right exposure will be by understanding what the light meter does.

- The light meter on your camera will do just 1 thing. It will take the area it meters and try to make it the mid-tone. If the world was black and white this would be about 18% grey. For colors it will give the mid-tone of a color. Red not dark red or light red.

- Try this for yourself. Take a white piece of paper and shoot it, filling the frame with just white. Look on your monitor and you will see it as grey, the mid-tone.

- So what does this mean when shooting? If you are shooting something light in color and are metering off it, you need to tell your camera that this is a light tone. This can generally be done by adding +2/3 or +1 exposure compensation. Basically you are telling your camera. You need to make this lighter than the metered value.

- The same is true for the reverse. You are metering off your friend's dark blue graduation gown. You need to use - 2/3 to -1 exposure compensation to make sure it looks dark. Otherwise it will come out as a mid-tone blue and their faces will be over exposed.

- For the 300D try to use AE lock for partial metering whenever you can. This way you can choose what the camera uses to determine exposure. This way you can decide what is the mid-tone in the image and let the rest of the exposure fall where it may.

- In your example of taking up close baby photos, you are probably metering off the skin. Generally speaking (for Caucasians and i think most Chinese as well) skin is +1/2 stop lighter than the mid-tone.

- Matrix mode always seems to under-expose, why? Because it tries to ensure that everything in the scene gets some detail, i.e. not too dark or too light.

Thks for all the advice .. will definitely try to shoot in RAW and compare the results. Also, excellent info from Tzuen and will try to remember that in future! Still, I can't help but feel disappointed with the camera (shudder, but don't get me wrong - I'm a Canon fan as well :confused: )

malabar290 said:
Thks for all the advice .. will definitely try to shoot in RAW and compare the results. Also, excellent info from Tzuen and will try to remember that in future! Still, I can't help but feel disappointed with the camera (shudder, but don't get me wrong - I'm a Canon fan as well :confused: )

Disappointed? Don't be... the 300D is a capable tool if u understand it well... I brought my 300D to my weekend camp in P.Ubin... after a bit of tweaking (levels, saturation and USM) in PS, the photos turn out great (btw, I shot in jpeg)... u can see them here ... :)

Keep shooting... :D

Hi Jia Wang, I agree with you. After viewing your photos,
I'm quite sure that 300D can produce excellent photos. :thumbsup:

malabar290 said:

Just wondering, are all your under-exposed frames arises from using some kind of flash? (on-board or external)

After owning the 300D and reading numerous informational threads both here and on dpreview leads me to believe that some (not all) 300D has this irritating problem. Just to share with you, my 300D consistently under-exposes 2/3-1 stop when coupled with 420EX in-door. Otherwise, it is spot on.

If that is true for you, you may wish to contact Canon or just learn to deal with it. Of course, you must make sure you understand how E-TTL works and their various metering mode. For me, I learn to deal with it since I put in the hacked firmware and adjust my FEC to +2/3 permanently. I also shoot exclusively in RAW + AdobeRGB. I am since a very happy man.

BTW, shooting in RAW is not the solution to the problem, it just lets you fix the problem w/o suffering any image degradation, ie putting +1 Exposure when you convert.

Please do not feel disappointed with the camera. It is a very capable camera, just that you need to understand it.

Regards,
JK

ps: if you haven't done so already, pls take some time to go through the following website

http://photonotes.org/articles/

or u can buy a D70 (price cut mar) and revel in Color metering....

*dashes to underground bunker*

I often try to resist tweaking using PS, but I realise I don't really have a choice with this camera. In response to tanjk's question, the problem happens even when I'm not using the flash... guess it's time to send it back to the workshop :)

Status
Not open for further replies.