Exposure..neither here nor there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotaboy

Deregistered
Nov 23, 2007
Woodlands
I believe i have this issue with exposure especially when shooting an object upwards with the sky as the background.
sy a 1/200 it gives me an underexposure but when i shift to to the next closest lower shutter,i get an overexposure.
How can i rectify the problem?

secondly,i has a problem holding my camera firm despite holding it the standard way,which is presume is right.
I even press my cheek against the body to prevent unecessary vibration.
the idea of lugging a tripod around isn't my thing and thus i didn't get one unless i'm very much into landscape and night shots.

Any advices?

If the dynamic range (DR) in the scene is more than what camera sensor can cope then you have to resort to out-of-cam or post-imaging solutions.

For example if the difference in a scene of an object against the sky, is 8EV, and your cam sensor's DR is only 5EV, then you have to lose 3EV somewhere, eg in the shadows, then the object is underexposed, or the highlights, then the sky is overexposed.

One question to ask is what are you shooting for. You can make good pictures of silhouettes against a well exposed sky for some purposes, or conversely a well exposed object with a totally blown out background. But if neither is what you seek, then you need to do something called HDR or its equivalent.

If the dynamic range (DR) in the scene is more than what camera sensor can cope then you have to resort to out-of-cam or post-imaging solutions.

For example if the difference in a scene of an object against the sky, is 8EV, and your cam sensor's DR is only 5EV, then you have to lose 3EV somewhere, eg in the shadows, then the object is underexposed, or the highlights, then the sky is overexposed.

One question to ask is what are you shooting for. You can make good pictures of silhouettes against a well exposed sky for some purposes, or conversely a well exposed object with a totally blown out background. But if neither is what you seek, then you need to do something called HDR or its equivalent.

Well i never did play with the EV since i always use shutter to determind the exposur but somehow many a times i felt it fail me.

Status
Not open for further replies.