Experts/Experienced/Old Birds - Kindly advise... Canon 550D Vs Nkon 3100

J-YJX

Apr 9, 2011
Bros in CS, as i am travelling this Aug and I would really want to have a DSLR to capture the moments/memories during the trip with my GF.Some backgrd to share, have been frustrated by our very low-tier digital camera, and would not want to miss any night shots or moments(shots in low lighting) anymore due to incapabilities of the device shots (very low end normal digital cam).

I am a newbie and is interested in photography thus would like to invest in a good DSLR with budget around 1k. I have 2 brands/model in mind - Canon EOS 550D and Nikon D3100, more liking to Canon, due to their exposure in ads, but also understand Nikon is a long time fav among photography fanatics.

Have compare the specs betwen this 2, which EOS 550D will be little more superior. however had also hear reviews that D3100 is a good DSLR for entry level which is easy to use.

Hope that Experts/Experienced/Old Birds can help to guide me along the way to my purchase!! :)

Some qns in my mind:

1. Canon EOS 550D vs Nikon D3100, which one suits a newbie like me?

2.What are also the necessary accessories, that i have to get along with it - eg: items for maintenance like cleaning kit,dry box? Is there a "standard" bundled of items that will come with the package?

3. Any considerations/information I have to look up? Lenses?

4.Travelling in Aug, intend to buy the cam in may or June and spend 1 - 2 mths getting use and experiment the cam 1st.Any good books/website to intro?

Thanks to all bros in advance! Cheers and thanks for helping! :)

To admin/moderators, this is my first post sorry if i posted in the wrong area.Do let me know where should I post. Thank you

i m a newbie also
think most important is to go down the store and try out both the cam..
from then u can know which 1 suit u better
have fun and shoot more..

i m a newbie also
think most important is to go down the store and try out both the cam..
from then u can know which 1 suit u better
have fun and shoot more..

Hi Kelchew,

thanks for your note, yes I did that and try to play around with the camera however can't stand those salesman that is constantly looking at me and wanted to show their sales skills on me.
lol in the end didn't really enjoy trying the cameras.
And also would like to know the things I should look out for while trying the camera..
thanks your advice as well :)

If you tried going to John 3:16 you'll find that they'll let you try the cams out, and tell you which one they think will be better for you etc. without the hardsell. They don't force you to buy either so go for it for as long as you like it. :D

Last edited:
Based on ur budget and ur 2 choices....

I would say, go for the Nikon D3100.
Cuz the balance money can buy flash, tripod and some accessories.

Or can also buy the Canon 550D just body alone and buy a diff lense + accessories.

Buy from recommended shops shared by seniors here.
Dun buy from Courts/Harvey Norman/Best Denki superstores.
Hope that helps.

Hi Kelchew,

thanks for your note, yes I did that and try to play around with the camera however can't stand those salesman that is constantly looking at me and wanted to show their sales skills on me.
lol in the end didn't really enjoy trying the cameras.
And also would like to know the things I should look out for while trying the camera..
thanks your advice as well :)

Don't be bothered by the stares from the salesman, many have tried it like you have and you will not be the last to do that. Test/Try what you want to try is more important than these "minor" details. *If they force you to buy, walk out and don't look back*

btw, don't be swayed by whoever tells you X is better than Y or the other way. Go with what fits in your hand better. This means from the grip to menu to ergonomics to almost anything else.

1) Camera Wise
- both are good for beginners. The camera engineers are smart enough not to design complex menus for entry level cameras....

2) Bundles
- to what I know, most only give you a free 8GB Class 4 SDHC card.
- Dry Box, Don't think got free...anyway, get a Dry Cabinet for convenience sake.
- Tripod, get it when you need it....If you are shooting night scenery, MUST buy (Do a search on Tripods and you should hit at least 100 posts)
- Lens Cleaning Kit, get a Rocket Blower + Microfiber cloth (should be more than enough for normal cleaning....Sensors cleaning is another matter....)

3) Lens
- I would suggest a walkabout lens of 18-200 as it will come in quite handy esp for travelling. After playing with DSLR for sometime, when you want to upgrade lens, you will then analyze/know where your most common focal length are (Please read DPreview or other websites for Lens reviews).

4) Books/Reading Materials
Read up the Stickies in Newbies Forum. Will be more than enough for you to digest for 2 months. But first, read the basics: Photography Notes For Newbies. You can also read up, Digital Photography School, Ken Rockwell's website. There are also many websites out there and Google is your best friend to find it :)

btw, before buying anything, Call the shops to ask for quotations or send them an email for e-quotes, just in-case some tries to smoke you by quoting it higher (you can do a search and see many such cases)....

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
1) try and decide. it's a system, you have to know which system you prefer. (System = cam body + lenses + accessories like flashes)
Photography is a journey. The lenses can be kept as you upgrade your body. but switching between systems will cost you a lot in future.

2) dry cabinet. Blower and lenspen (LP-1) good enough for cleaning your lenses/filters while on the move. Bag: backpack / sling bag to hold your camera while you are about.
Wireless remote: if you are travelling with your gf and want to take shots, these are handy!

3) lens: for a compact to DSLR convert, i believe you will find the 18-55mm most useful. think about longer range later on after you are familar with your dslr. consider uv filters to protect your lens' front element (some pple stand by it, some don't. it's up to you). A
CPL filter should be a serious consideration if you are going to shoot thru glass / shoot at water features. search thru the forum to read up more on this type of filter. And i believe you are going to take night / low light shots. Consider a prime lens with wide aperture (very small f number. eg: f1.8)

4) Reading materials: "Getting started in Digital SLR Photography" by Digital SLR Photography magazine (read up articles on their website also). $10.50, available in most bookstores. Great guide to start with. I'm a newbie and I'm still digesting information from this guide. Note: things won't make sense at first, but after you start playing around with the DSLR, things start to fall into place. I'm 3rd week into my D7000 and am enjoying it thoroughly!

Last edited:
If you tried going to John 3:16 you'll find that they'll let you try the cams out, and tell you which one they think will be better for you etc. without the hardsell. They don't force you to buy either so go for it for as long as you like it. :D

Hi Bonrya,

Thanks for the recommendation, heard about this shop that is mentioned greatly in the forum, will defintely check it out! :)

Based on ur budget and ur 2 choices....

I would say, go for the Nikon D3100.
Cuz the balance money can buy flash, tripod and some accessories.

Or can also buy the Canon 550D just body alone and buy a diff lense + accessories.

Buy from recommended shops shared by seniors here.
Dun buy from Courts/Harvey Norman/Best Denki superstores.
Hope that helps.

Hi Gua Po,

I have also thought of that, to buy a more economical body, as i might need additonal cash to buy some of the essential add on..thanks for the advise dude!

Don't be bothered by the stares from the salesman, many have tried it like you have and you will not be the last to do that. Test/Try what you want to try is more important than these "minor" details. *If they force you to buy, walk out and don't look back*

btw, don't be swayed by whoever tells you X is better than Y or the other way. Go with what fits in your hand better. This means from the grip to menu to ergonomics to almost anything else.

1) Camera Wise
- both are good for beginners. The camera engineers are smart enough not to design complex menus for entry level cameras....

2) Bundles
- to what I know, most only give you a free 8GB Class 4 SDHC card.
- Dry Box, Don't think got free...anyway, get a Dry Cabinet for convenience sake.
- Tripod, get it when you need it....If you are shooting night scenery, MUST buy (Do a search on Tripods and you should hit at least 100 posts)
- Lens Cleaning Kit, get a Rocket Blower + Microfiber cloth (should be more than enough for normal cleaning....Sensors cleaning is another matter....)

3) Lens
- I would suggest a walkabout lens of 18-200 as it will come in quite handy esp for travelling. After playing with DSLR for sometime, when you want to upgrade lens, you will then analyze/know where your most common focal length are (Please read DPreview or other websites for Lens reviews).

4) Books/Reading Materials
Read up the Stickies in Newbies Forum. Will be more than enough for you to digest for 2 months. But first, read the basics: Photography Notes For Newbies. You can also read up, Digital Photography School, Ken Rockwell's website. There are also many websites out there and Google is your best friend to find it :)

btw, before buying anything, Call the shops to ask for quotations or send them an email for e-quotes, just in-case some tries to smoke you by quoting it higher (you can do a search and see many such cases)....

Hope this helps.

Hi Skystrike,

Really appreciate that you took time to advise me :D thanks bro. Will soon hit the shops to try out these 2 models again to see which one is better in terms of ergonomics factor and the complexity.

1.) I also thought that in terms of spec they are similar only with the 550D is much more superior but it cost ard $200+ more.
I guess the menu aslo plays a impt part, as it must be easy to use for beginners/newbies. I had tried the D3100, at the Gain city it fair @ expo last week i can only say i need time to get use to it. For 550D no chance to try cos too many ppl!
Which system did u own? a canon or a nikon which is a easier system to maneuver?
2) Thanks for your advise on the bundle, last week got a deal worth $949 Nikon D3100 with 8GB SD card + 16GB SD Card+card reader+PU bag+tripod+dry box+ 1.5 inch digital photoframe.(Gain city it fair @ expo) Though the card reader and the digital photo frame is quite useless. I though it was quite a deal, but i had not done my research well, so i decided not to buy. the 550D got something similar with a extra 3rd party battery. For the tripod part, as due to travelling thats abit inconvenient but i think i understand it is good to have for night scene. Does the lens cleaning kit you mention normally includes in the bundle?

3) Not too sure for the 550d need to check , but for 3100 lens is a 18-55 mm AF-S DS Nikkor, f/3.5-5.6VR ? this is the default lenses that come with the body right? the default one should be enuough for a newbie for me for travelling? I intend to get the the cam with default lenses only. Additional lenses, i am thinking at a much later time due to my budget and i think i need time get use to the cam after i bought also.

4) thanks for the recommendations, will defintely read and try to disgest it. any personal recommendations from you regarding the better shops out there? PM can? thanks!

1) try and decide. it's a system, you have to know which system you prefer. (System = cam body + lenses + accessories like flashes)
Photography is a journey. The lenses can be kept as you upgrade your body. but switching between systems will cost you a lot in future.

2) dry cabinet. Blower and lenspen (LP-1) good enough for cleaning your lenses/filters while on the move. Bag: backpack / sling bag to hold your camera while you are about.
Wireless remote: if you are travelling with your gf and want to take shots, these are handy!

3) lens: for a compact to DSLR convert, i believe you will find the 18-55mm most useful. think about longer range later on after you are familar with your dslr. consider uv filters to protect your lens' front element (some pple stand by it, some don't. it's up to you). A
CPL filter should be a serious consideration if you are going to shoot thru glass / shoot at water features. search thru the forum to read up more on this type of filter. And i believe you are going to take night / low light shots. Consider a prime lens with wide aperture (very small f number. eg: f1.8)

4) Reading materials: "Getting started in Digital SLR Photography" by Digital SLR Photography magazine (read up articles on their website also). $10.50, available in most bookstores. Great guide to start with. I'm a newbie and I'm still digesting information from this guide. Note: things won't make sense at first, but after you start playing around with the DSLR, things start to fall into place. I'm 3rd week into my D7000 and am enjoying it thoroughly!

Hi Skimmilk

Thanks man for your advise, you hit a point! system are costly to switch and I should get it right the first time!

2) These kind of clean kit do they normally come in a bundle? I guess with a costly device, it makes sense that i take good care of it.. yes need a bag so i can bring it around.
Other than gf, there will be another couple around too, does the wireless remotes works together only with tripod presences? Sorry i am too new, need to check on the wireless remote thing too.
3) Yes not intending to get any lens till i consider a better player myself.. i hope the default lenses is enough, thought i not too sure abt 550D, 3100 comes with 18-55mm. I hope the defaults lenses that comes with it is enough for me!
Hmm night/ low light shots f1.8 think the default one for 3100 is only f3.5 - 5.6 shucks would that not enough?
4) thanks man, will check it out too! definetly alot of info to digest, but same like you , i think need to play around with the cam do know what it means, if not it is just like learning swimming on paper.

Oh ya have another query as well, are in terms of accesories like dry box/cabinet, cleaning kit, blower,bag etc....can give me some rough ideas in terms of the $ factor?
Have no sense of $ factor of these items, and would hope i still can keep it within my budget :)

Have done a comparison also of the specs between these 2 models in DP review http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos550d&products=nikon_d3100 -- they are comparable but 550D seems a little more superior on paper
any advice on that?

Thanks in advance bros!

oh ya! someone had also mentioned to me about the AF system of both model.
For canon there is internal AF system, but for D3100 there is none and relies on the lenses right?

Will need more information on this as well, any one can enlighten me? how about the image stabilzation and anti shake as i could not see it in the specs? These are only on a higher end of DSLR for pros right?

once again thanks in advance! :)

For canon there is internal AF system, but for D3100 there is none and relies on the lenses right?

Will need more information on this as well, any one can enlighten me? how about the image stabilzation and anti shake as i could not see it in the specs? These are only on a higher end of DSLR for pros right?

Both Canon & Nikon depends on the Lens for the AF. (both don't have image stabilization on the camera body)

Canon Image Stabilization is decoded with "IS" on the lens, e.g. "Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS"
Nikon's Version is "VR" e.g. "Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S VR DX NIKKOR"

Both Canon & Nikon depends on the Lens for the AF. (both don't have image stabilization on the camera body)

Canon Image Stabilization is decoded with "IS" on the lens, e.g. "Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS"
Nikon's Version is "VR" e.g. "Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S VR DX NIKKOR"

Actually both of you have the wrong idea.

AF system is a combination of subsystems.
1. The AF module will always be in the camera. It deciphers what is in focus or not in focus.
2. The AF motor is the one driving the lens to reach that focusing distance. (#1 instructs it).
  • Canon's AF motors are all built into the lenses. So old Canon lenses like (FD lenses) cannot be used on current Canon camera bodies directly.
  • Some newer Nikon lenses are just like Canon's with the focusing motors built into the lenses. Some Nikon lenses depends on a screw drive motor that is built into the camera body. This is the case so that older Nikon lenses (from 70s till today) can still fit on current day Nikon camera bodies. D3100 is an entry level cam and do not have this in-camera AF motor drive. So it can only AF with lenses with AF motor built in. So only AF-S and AF-I lenses will AF on the D3100. The thing is, there are many AF-D lenses out there which are very good and are a lot cheaper than the AF-S versions. Cam bodies that can AF with AF-D and AF lenses are D90 and above.

IS = Image stabilization (Canon)
VR = Vibration Reduction (Nikon)
Both are the same thing, to reduce instability from hand holding. They have nothing to do with AF system. But both Canon and Nikon have decided to incorporate VR/IS into the lens and not the body.

Pros of having IS/VR in lens: (Nikon, Canon)
Different lenses of different focal lengths require different amount of VR/IS. Having VR/IS in the lens, the VR mechanism can be tuned to each lens, making it more efficient.

Pros of having IS/VR in camera body: (Sony, Pentax)
Lenses will be cheaper since the mechanism is now in the camera body. Lenses will also have one less part to break. All lenses can enjoy IS/VR.

Last edited:
Learnt something new again...Thanks..

Have done a comparison also of the specs between these 2 models in DP review http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos550d&products=nikon_d3100 -- they are comparable but 550D seems a little more superior on paper
any advice on that?

I feel the only things superior is the heavier body due to using mag alloy(i think) compared to plastic for the D3100.
But that means the D3100 is lighter......

If u compared kit to kit, the D3100 is about $949(RRP) and the 550D is $1199(RRP).
So for the $250 in price difference, u can buy a dry cabinet $118, UV Filter $30, pop up flash diffuser $10, hard screen protector $20, maybe an extra battery $25. Faster memory card if u wanna shoot Full HD videos Sandisk Ultra 8GB $25.

Use ur free tripod in the meantime. And then get a flash later on.
Hope that helps.

FYI....I bought a D3100 2 weeks ago becuz it was the cheapest with Full HD.
At least this can last me for a couple of years before i upgrade my skills and finally the body.

Cheers !

Guapo said:
I feel the only things superior is the heavier body due to using mag alloy(i think) compared to plastic for the D3100.
But that means the D3100 is lighter......

If u compared kit to kit, the D3100 is about $949(RRP) and the 550D is $1199(RRP).
So for the $250 in price difference, u can buy a dry cabinet $118, UV Filter $30, pop up flash diffuser $10, hard screen protector $20, maybe an extra battery $25. Faster memory card if u wanna shoot Full HD videos Sandisk Ultra 8GB $25.

Use ur free tripod in the meantime. And then get a flash later on.
Hope that helps.

FYI....I bought a D3100 2 weeks ago becuz it was the cheapest with Full HD.
At least this can last me for a couple of years before i upgrade my skills and finally the body.

Cheers !

Dun think 550D got mag alloy right??
It's a better camera than D3100 becos if it's feature. But... I'm a nikon fanboy :p

Do you have intentions to upgrade the body after learning the basics of photography in dslr ? If yes , buying a 550D or D3100 might impose a big depreciation on you when you want to sell it off. You might want to consider the second hand market, there are many tempting offers out in the market that is of the same cost and could get you more things (extra lens, cleaning kits, bags etc) out of it.

I did the second hand route when I picked up photography, used the camera quite extensively and upgraded after 2 years. The best part is I don't lose that much of money in terms of depreciation and I learnt a lot more with the extra equipment given through second hand sales.

Canon 550D does not use magnesium alloy.

Anyway, I have used both Canon and Nikon systems before and I find Nikon to be more intuitive. But it's a matter of personal preference. I have friends who prefer the controls of a Canon. Try them out yourself.

Bros in CS, as i am travelling this Aug and I would really want to have a DSLR to capture the moments/memories during the trip with my GF.Some backgrd to share, have been frustrated by our very low-tier digital camera, and would not want to miss any night shots or moments(shots in low lighting) anymore due to incapabilities of the device shots (very low end normal digital cam).

I am a newbie and is interested in photography thus would like to invest in a good DSLR with budget around 1k. I have 2 brands/model in mind - Canon EOS 550D and Nikon D3100, more liking to Canon, due to their exposure in ads, but also understand Nikon is a long time fav among photography fanatics.

Have compare the specs betwen this 2, which EOS 550D will be little more superior. however had also hear reviews that D3100 is a good DSLR for entry level which is easy to use.

Hope that Experts/Experienced/Old Birds can help to guide me along the way to my purchase!! :)

Some qns in my mind:

1. Canon EOS 550D vs Nikon D3100, which one suits a newbie like me?

2.What are also the necessary accessories, that i have to get along with it - eg: items for maintenance like cleaning kit,dry box? Is there a "standard" bundled of items that will come with the package?

3. Any considerations/information I have to look up? Lenses?

4.Travelling in Aug, intend to buy the cam in may or June and spend 1 - 2 mths getting use and experiment the cam 1st.Any good books/website to intro?

Thanks to all bros in advance! Cheers and thanks for helping! :)

To admin/moderators, this is my first post sorry if i posted in the wrong area.Do let me know where should I post. Thank you

I'm reading 2 books by Michael Freeman - Perfect Exposure and The Photographer's Eye. Hope it helps.

If you are going to take long exposure shots, you'll probably need a shutter release remote, but if you don't have 1, 2 secs timer would do just fine.

Canon 550D does not use magnesium alloy.

Anyway, I have used both Canon and Nikon systems before and I find Nikon to be more intuitive. But it's a matter of personal preference. I have friends who prefer the controls of a Canon. Try them out yourself.

I have used both as well, I prefer Nikon's command dials which allows most settings to be selected via a sweep of a thumb. :)