Experiences with the new K-3 Camera (Lots of Photos)

I've been sitting on the fence wrt the K3. Ever since being bitten by the sports photography bug I've been looking at getting an APSC with a telephoto lens.

Care to share how much the DA 55-300 HD WR lens costs please? Plus there are some reviews that talk about how the K3's AF not being that 'good' for sports photography?

Would be happy to hear your comments on these. Thanks!

I'm not into sports photography, but I did a few times w/ earlier Pentax dSLR cameras w/o any problem, I don't see any reason why K3 can't do sports, especially considering its much improved AF and FPS. And I haven't talked about those sports photographers before AF cameras came out...

As tot the 55-300 HD WR lens, I don't really know its actual cost. The one I showed in photos was borrowed. You can check w/ stores and see how much it cost.

If you are still sitting on the fence about this camera, to be honest, you won't be able to get anything better in performance, APSC or FF.

Thanks for the great review Frank. Looks like Pentax is really improving its cameras with good features.

I've got pretty much all Pentax dSLR cameras since the first *istD. And finally I can say that THIS IS THE ONE.

Now we just need some faster lenses especially in tele zoom lenses. And it'd be great if Pentax can make MKII version of those lovely FA Limited lenses with improved HD coating and probably WR too. That's gonna make a lot guys even happier.

I've got pretty much all Pentax dSLR cameras since the first *istD. And finally I can say that THIS IS THE ONE.

Now we just need some faster lenses especially in tele zoom lenses. And it'd be great if Pentax can make MKII version of those lovely FA Limited lenses with improved HD coating and probably WR too. That's gonna make a lot guys even happier.

I will wait for a year at least, before I get this ($$$ issue) but the K30 is serving me well at the moment.

Yeah I know. And remember never spend beyond your means :) It's just a hobby after all.

That I will surely remember. Cannot spend beyond means but hobbies can be pretty expensive but fruitful for relaxation.

Next week one of my students will be collecting his new K30 from shop. Reserved since October. He cannot wait to get his hands on it.

Thats a big endorsement. :D

But I believe it. :)

Fengwei, thanks for the hands-on report.
I see you have also put this up on the Review Section.

Hi All,
I'd implore your help to give some support to the article that FW has put up.
Its not easy to take time away to do all this.

Really? That shouldn't be me I guess :sweat:

Even if you didn't say it, I think it can be true. Pentax makes great cameras with significant improvement from the last generation. I always thought that the K5 was going to be the penultimate one, but K3 really does surprise me. :)

Pro, you've been posting a lot lately. Probably you've been thinking about the K3 all the time. Why not just get one and be done w/ it ;)

Ha....:) anw hope i can molest it this weekends hehe

Thanks for the write up. Too bad I just bought my K-5IIs this year. Plus it is unfortunate that Ricoh has introduced a new battery grip design.

Thanks for the write up. Too bad I just bought my K-5IIs this year. Plus it is unfortunate that Ricoh has introduced a new battery grip design.

I am removing my K3 grip. Not sure if it is the design or my fat hand but if i leave it turned on, the bottom of my hand keeps touching the shutter button (on the grip) n that causes the cam to often try to AF.

But i kinda of prefer the new grip.. It has better contour than the old one.. holding it is far much better.

I am removing my K3 grip. Not sure if it is the design or my fat hand but if i leave it turned on, the bottom of my hand keeps touching the shutter button (on the grip) n that causes the cam to often try to AF.

hmm.. I think it is the same with the old grip. I keep touching the shutter button for both grip. lolx...

That I will surely remember. Cannot spend beyond means but hobbies can be pretty expensive but fruitful for relaxation.

Next week one of my students will be collecting his new K30 from shop. Reserved since October. He cannot wait to get his hands on it.

That's good to know. Hope our local Pentax community can keep growing so more guys can enjoy being a Pentaxian :)

Thats a big endorsement.

But I believe it. :)

Fengwei, thanks for the hands-on report.
I see you have also put this up on the Review Section.

Hi All,
I'd implore your help to give some support to the article that FW has put up.
Its not easy to take time away to do all this.

Thanks JK. It's true that we are not as free as before when having kids around. But it's always a pleasure to try new Pentax stuff :) This time I think Pentax really got another big winner again.

Even if you didn't say it, I think it can be true. Pentax makes great cameras with significant improvement from the last generation. I always thought that the K5 was going to be the penultimate one, but K3 really does surprise me. :)

And I finally can say that THIS IS IT! I'd say this would be the ultimate camera we'd ever need. Most of us won't benefit w/ full frame cameras as much as we hoped, but I'm sure everyone would benefit quite a bit when upgrading to a K3 ;p

Aiyoh,,,,Fengwei why do you have to put up this thread.

I do not shoot enough to justify buying a new camera. But this really poisonous...damn

Ha....:) anw hope i can molest it this weekends hehe

Then you better be prepared ;p

Thanks Bro :) I never use grip, so it's not much an issue to me. But I can understand.

Seems like some users have problem w/ the grip. Hopefully Pentax would release a firmware update to address this problem.

But i kinda of prefer the new grip.. It has better contour than the old one.. holding it is far much better.

Maybe so, but if Ricoh made the K-3 compatible with the old BG-4, then I would not need to buy a new grip. And I can share it with the K-5IIs, IF I am keeping both. ;)

Seems like some users have problem w/ the grip. Hopefully Pentax would release a firmware update to address this problem.

Actually, I think it happens to me with the BG-4 too. But I switched off the grip's shutter button most of the time because I just want to use the extra battery.