Expected salary for software consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeowww said:
through my experience, the sales people are more important, they are the ones who bring in money. without sales, no backend staff to talk about. So when it comes to reward, u know who is better rewarded

This is very true.

Aton said:

As for the discussion about those "foreign talent", my friend had often grumbled to me about how uncooperative they are and like to shirk off their responsibility. Its one of the reason he left the company. He's the only local.
All depends on the person, in my previous workplace, I have seen locals also walking away from responsibilities, or even when they broke down machines, quickly run away before someone else finds out (but I found out several times,as it was easy to trace who used certain stuff).....this goes for every Asian lah!.......scared of loosing face, don't want to admit mistakes made.....

Hong Sien

i also from computer science NUS....that time econonmy still not bad, can get 2.7 to 2.9K for fresh grad but now.....no more liao....

think about 2.2K to 2.5K for fresh grad i guess :(

and most of the IT jobs nowaday are contract job. my company is also freezing headcount and now taking in only contract job.

i agreed that IT is underpaid and overwork, work for so long, my pay still not 4K and still doing programming.... :cry:

but cannot complain, got job now, shld be thankful! no more stable job liao :sweat:

hongsien said:
All depends on the person, in my previous workplace, I have seen locals also walking away from responsibilities, or even when they broke down machines, quickly run away before someone else finds out (but I found out several times,as it was easy to trace who used certain stuff).....this goes for every Asian lah!.......scared of loosing face, don't want to admit mistakes made.....

Hong Sien

so they may not get a 5 digit package.

I think there are a fair few IT folks replying to this thread, and the outsourcing / foreign talent issue seems to hit pretty much close to home ... but guys, you gotta admit that you're painting in broad strokes ? You'll only get behavioral uniformity if the workforce functioned like industrial line robots.

Anyway, for Falcon, my take is this ... look for a job that you _like_ ... don't worry too much about the salary package at this point in time. I'm guessing you are not saddled with too many fiscal responsibilities yet (eg. pay off car loan, housing loan, credit card debt) ... so find something that you feel you'd enjoy. When going for interviews, ask about corporate culture, whether it's quite informal or stricter (can you call the CEO by his/her first name ?), etc ...

Build your experience, and if you're dedicated and good, the money will come. It may not be with the same company, but at some stage, you will enjoy both your job and pay ... if you went strictly on pay, you may get into a mentality of "if I leave this crappy job, no one will pay me the same amount", or something to that extent.

And a word of advice ... there is nothing wrong with calling yourself a "consultant" in the right context. If you're a software engineer by training, and you can add value to a project on your first day at work, then you are providing the team with consulting services. Just be aware of the experience you've picked up while you were at school, don't shortchange yourself. But don't have an arrogant attitude either ... you're there to both contribute and learn. And this will continue for the next 40 years ... :bsmilie:

ericp said:
I think there are a fair few IT folks replying to this thread, and the outsourcing / foreign talent issue seems to hit pretty much close to home ... but guys, you gotta admit that you're painting in broad strokes ? You'll only get behavioral uniformity if the workforce functioned like industrial line robots.

Anyway, for Falcon, my take is this ... look for a job that you _like_ ... don't worry too much about the salary package at this point in time. I'm guessing you are not saddled with too many fiscal responsibilities yet (eg. pay off car loan, housing loan, credit card debt) ... so find something that you feel you'd enjoy. When going for interviews, ask about corporate culture, whether it's quite informal or stricter (can you call the CEO by his/her first name ?), etc ...

Build your experience, and if you're dedicated and good, the money will come. It may not be with the same company, but at some stage, you will enjoy both your job and pay ... if you went strictly on pay, you may get into a mentality of "if I leave this crappy job, no one will pay me the same amount", or something to that extent.

And a word of advice ... there is nothing wrong with calling yourself a "consultant" in the right context. If you're a software engineer by training, and you can add value to a project on your first day at work, then you are providing the team with consulting services. Just be aware of the experience you've picked up while you were at school, don't shortchange yourself. But don't have an arrogant attitude either ... you're there to both contribute and learn. And this will continue for the next 40 years ... :bsmilie:

Well say, ericp. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

any idea how much is the starting salary for an analyst in the consulting workforce of Accenture? I heard rumours that it is approx 3.4k. But they work ridiculously long hours for it.

blurboiboi said:
I am a fresh grad from School of Computing this year...
Most IT jobs now as advertised req ppl to have some sort of experience eg. went through how many development cycles or years in related field etc...
But there are still many coys who are still willing to groom fresh grads or newbies as well.... :)

My recommendation would be try getting an IT cert in a field you think you excel or like most eg. DB, Web Dev or SW Dev etc... It does help in getting you interviews, of course the second part depends on you "ling chang biao xian" already... It is kinda of ex and usually mid to big size coys would send their staffs for free certification....

4 out of 10 of my friends landed up in non IT related jobs... and I do forsee 3-4 out of the remaining 6 would move away from IT field sooner or later... IT professionals (unless employed by BIG firms) are really over work and underpaid jobs... I been at Accenture for a month and it is like "do cow do horse" man... heehee... but none the less still got ppl like this type of jobs...

IT consultant are pretty different... this are the guys that usually sells the products to companies... and getting req. from them which are eventually passed down to programmers to be customised.... Less shitty job and paid much higher... hee...

i hoped i helped in contributing.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.