EveRywhere Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are absolutely right.

The shift of policy created the traffic that justified the ERP.

Now tell me. Does the total volume of tax received by the public accounts decreases or increases with this shift of policy?

What does pay more? It is to have a little number of expensive car paying a one time tax at the purchase or an on going thing that more people use daily and several times a day?

Agree with you regarding the international situation and that we are not that bad here.

But I am not convinced when I hear that things will be better once we have more ERPees. I saw ERP mulitply and traffic getting worse.

It can only prevent things from worsening for a while. But people will get use to it and in six month time, it will be back to square one.

It is only by implementing insane ERP price that you will see a change. A change that will not get rid of the traffic but redirect it to secondary roads.

ERP is a plaster on a broken leg. SG traffic is limping and unfortunately it is not going to change with the ERP.

All this due to the geographic limitation of this island, there are physical difficulties that will be hardly solved. (THE KPE for inst. had to be underground).

Now, if you want to widen the discussion about the competitiveness of the country. The traffic prevents the goods and ppl to travel fast enough to maintain at least its competetiveness. The degradation of the traffic is not in favour of the biz and the ERP unfortunately will not help it. I sincerely wish that ERP would be an effective tool. At least, I could once in a while choose to pay to get a better service. Just like the mail service. You have the normal and the express.

Although thinking about it the CTE on many places has some space to receive at least one more lane to the side.

That's how it is. The choice has been made to widen the base of tax payers. In fact soon, 6 millions of them. :bsmilie:

What strikes me is how people tend to have short and selective memories. It is the stated aim of the MOT to rebalance the cost of car ownership, emphasising less on car ownership and shifting it to car usage. Hence the decrease in customs duties on cars and a slightly more liberal growth rate for car numbers. Some of you may remember the days of $80,000 COEs. A 1.6 Japanese Saloon cost my friend $128,000 in 1995. An equivalent model today would be not more than $75,000. Adjusted for inflation, that's a huge savings, enough to pay ERP for many lifetimes.

So if car numbers go up, logically so will traffic volume. We could choose to suffer the fate of Bangkok or Jakarta, or we could take some action to make things traffic flow at least 'moving' at peak hours.

Some perspective, Mayor Ken 'Red' Livingston of London, who is about as close as you can get to being a communist in a western democratic country, lauds the road pricing system and was tripping over himself to have it implemented in London. Prices are v.high, and set to rise. Doesn't that tell you something......

The only thing that stands in the way now of a full implementation is the infringement of human rights. As with this system, you can be tracked everywhere u go. Scary right?

Not really....have you taken a look lately around our island road system? Notice how many more CCTVs there are now perched onto of lamp posts and road signs. First they started sprouting all over the expressways (just after 911) and now there are lots more of them on lamp posts in normal road too and within very short interval too. Quietly this has been getting more and more saturated. You can easily track a car today already.

Seriously, its no big deal.
Please i IMPLORE..or whatever vocab you guys prefer... you guys to seriously put yourselves into the transport ministers shoes, instead of whining, why dont give some consrtuctive comments? yes indeed everywhere pay, but hey its the way of life, i am not sorry, i doubt the anyone's sorry and neither should you. i believe we need to pay more on other things in other countries? so move on, and perhaps give more constructive comments on how to improve the system. i believe transport guy would not chose to do this if he had a better choice.:D

wow...I took a break fro clubsnap for a number of months and come back and I see a totally difference seanlim leh? Our boy all grown up now har? heheheh....

I am sure everyone did give a thought to how hard it would be for any minister who really is standing on the shoulder of giants to rack their ideas and present them to you and me. But just becasue it is hard and they have to take some necessary tough choices does not ENTIRELY mean it is the best idea. True sometime we don't have the time to brew and wait till the perfect idea comes along but that also does not mean that once implemented, we can't go back to the drawing board often to relook at it and see how we can improve on it. Problem is they seem to see the problem from their own way and not other ways or take a fresh look at it. OR AT LEAST...that is the feeling they give people that they are not really taking people view in but just "wayang". I and alot here know traffic is a problem here and other countries lah...but well..are they revised method any improvement or just impose more "money orient" means of "controlling" traffic. THAT does not solve the problem you in fact create more...so now..the saying that "the rich will benefit more" becomes apparently true(r). Good to see you trying to give your view lah sean...but till you come out to work, earn your own way, have a life of your own, trying to build your career, start a family, budget to look after them...then maybe you will see that maybe you too need to take a fresh view of looking at things too.

Status
Not open for further replies.