Esplanade (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Just some common shots... for viewing pleasure...

esplanade1.jpg

19mm :: f/8 :: 1/20s :: ISO400 :: Spot

esplanade2.jpg

17mm :: f/16 :: 8s :: ISO200 :: Matrix

esplanade3.jpg

24mm :: f/16 :: 20s :: ISO200 :: Matrix

esplanade4.jpg

17mm :: f/16 :: 60.3s :: ISO200 :: Matrix

Pics look soft to me.

Horizon of the 2nd pic not straight. Are they snapshots? Sorry to sound harsh, but you've not improved since you posted your first esplanade pictures here, and obviously, purchasing a new lens does not help in anyway.

Pic 1 : What are you trying to show? The colours of the sky? Then the colours arent punchy enough. Rather pleasing composition anyhow.

2nd, 3rd and 4th picture have a yellow cast on them and do nothing to me. No visual appeal at all.

Just my 2 cents. :)

junyang said:
Pics look soft to me.

Horizon of the 2nd pic not straight. Are they snapshots? Sorry to sound harsh, but you've not improved since you posted your first esplanade pictures here, and obviously, purchasing a new lens does not help in anyway.
That's not the horizon, if you were standing where I was, you'd get this, it's more of the vanishing point than horizon. The angle was on done purpose.

I didn't purchase any new len, nor did I in any of my shots implied that a new len equates good images. Like everybody else here, I'm purely shooting images, the EXIF data is just for my references and that of others, I seriously don't know what made you conclude I bought a new len. And I also never thought that a new len will equate nor warrant better or good images.

junyang said:
Pic 1 : What are you trying to show? The colours of the sky? Then the colours arent punchy enough. Rather pleasing composition anyhow.
Depends on how you see the image, some like the silohuette of the boat, some like the skyline, I can't control what you see.

junyang said:
2nd, 3rd and 4th picture have a yellow cast on them and do nothing to me. No visual appeal at all.
Thanks for the highlight.

Perhaps, junyang can give me some hints/tips on how to compose a better image and how to get visual appeal for people who view my pictures. :thumbsup:

SniperD :kok: :nono: :bsmilie:

I think the 1st photo is nice :thumbsup: , gives me a "quiet" feeling because of the lone boat, but the rest are really quite plain. :)

Pic 1 gives me a feeling of..... " Its time to knock off and go home for a nice dinner"

=)

junyang said:
Pics look soft to me.

i guess this kind of comments will shy away the "not-so-pro" :embrass: people from posting their shots :dunno:

junyang said:

wow..... i think i better dun post my pic here....wait kenna suan :sweat:

better go back and have 10 years training first :what:

i would think that more work could be done compositionally...
eg for the pic of the esplanade, the void at the bottom serves not much purpose, and the building (is it Conrad?) jutting out spoils the roof outline of the esplanade.

Hi xray, Bernard_Ong, weg thanks for the comments. Still trying to improve myself in getting the composition and aspect of the images right. Thanks!

Pinoy_Sap: Harsh, constructive comments is good, it helps, just that it's missing some pointers on how to take better images than why the image is bad. :thumbsup:

Paul_Yeo: Take things in good stride, comments help, listen to the ones who help you understand, ignore those that aren't helpful.

I agree with you ESPN. Constructive comment will have to improve one's photography skills. Sometime you may not see things that other may see. Do not be scare of getting 'suan' :think:

Hrmm .. fair enuff i guess ... I won't comment on the technical aspects but come on ESPN ... put ur creative juices to work :p , i know u can do better than that.

The first time i went to shoot the esplanade, i ended up with shots like yours. Its good for people who have never seen the esplanade before, but i felt mine started to look very cliche and it doesn't warrant a second glance. So I dumped all the photos.

Maybe you can try spending around 3 hours walking around the esplanade looking for the lesser seen or often overlooked stuff around. Thats how i managed to do my second series, which i'm fairly proud of. http://mirareste.com/landscapes/esplanade/page1.html

So let your creative juices flowing man .... i see u very up one ... :)

IMHO, and using a common cliche, imitation (or thereabouts) is the sincerest form of flattery. By that, I mean that if I see a nice composition, I wouldn't shy away from recreating it, and if possible, put my own touch to it. Therefore I don't see espn's shots as being cliche'd (there's that word again), but nicely done.

But that's veering away from the intent of this thread, which is to whack espn's creativity ... :devil:

Just kidding ... :angel:

Constructive comments (to be taken with a pinch of salt, of course) :

Pic 1 : Nice composition, what I'd probably do is to put a warmer tone to it, either through PS or wait for a golden sunset.

Pic 2 : Nice composition again, but there's a bit of grain, perhaps from the long exposure. I think this scene needs a cleaner black background, so perhaps a noise filter here would be useful.

Pic 3 : If the durian is the focal point of interest, I'd try to mask away the Ritz Carlton. If the lot of buildings is the target, then I'd spread them out a bit. The exposure's very nice, only that the composition's a bit too busy for my taste.

Pic 4 : I like the concept, but I feel there's a bit too much empty space. Perhaps cropping it to a panoramic format may work better.

But no matter what, the images are enjoyable to view ... definitely not boring or cliche'd, in my opinion.

And thanks for posting the shooting data, now those of us thus inclined can COPY COPY COPY !!! :bsmilie:

Hi PandaOng, I've mastered the skill of being thick skin, I can take frank and harsh comments, I've no issue with them :) esp the constructive ones.

Yo DC, ltns, hehe just caught you the other day only. Thanks for the kind comments I'm truly unworthy of your high expectations, I'm just an ordinary shooter like any others, far from the professionals and high expectations. I will however, strive to do better in composition & being 'myself' and being special in my shots. I've yet to train my eye to those as yours, good shots if I may say so myself, will strive harder. Pretty lazy to drag my tripod & gears out if I wasn't trying to help a friend with PSS assignment. Heehee.

Hi ericp, thank you for your comments, I appreciate your effort & time for them I will take note of them into my next night scenary shooting.

Thank you all once again :)

oops ... sorry if i offended .... just that i know u can do better ... :)

me also not pro larr .. got my regular day job to take care of ... :)

No lah you didn't offend me, :bsmilie: hope to see more of your shots ;)

2nd pic: There seem to be quite abit of room space on top making the reflection on the bottom looks abit cut-off.

4th pic: Is the line from the middle to the right corner a result of a moving boat? Look rather distracting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.