epiphany

Status
Not open for further replies.

psalmanazar

Nov 9, 2003
Pandan Valley
Visit site
1149490139_DdWoX-L.jpg

Remark: You don't have to like this photo. Odds are that most of you won't. Just
be polite when you say so. An artist can't ask for more than that. But
they can and should reasonably expect no less.

What is the point, and how is this a portrait? Please enlighten me.

What is the point, and how is this a portrait? Please enlighten me.

Okay Deadpoet, I will make an effort here to communicate with you in spite of what happened in the past.

First of all, my understanding of this forum is that it is about human portraiture in general. It's also about fine art. This is the reply regarding the second part of your question.

The point is the following (the first part of your question). It's part of the series called urban solitude. The series is about isolation of individuals in big cities. In this photo, there is a group of people surrounded by creeping darkness. They are going to be swallowed, it's inevitable. Some of them just go along and their heads are down. They are already dead (it's a parabola). One of them raises his head up where the sunlight is coming from. It's the one who has not lost hope although we know that he will continue walking into the surrounding darkness because there is no escape.

That's one possible interpretation. There are many other ones. It's up to you. You might not like it, it's fine. You may not connect to it, it's fine. You might not understand it, it's fine. We humans are too complicated and diverse to respond in the same way. That's life.

Good. I will never ever able to relate to the picture posted and to string together the complicated meanings behind the picture. Glad you explain.
Yes, we all do not think the same way, and I am glad you are open minded enough to allow the viewers to think in any which direction they choose. You did not leave a single clue, if you did not explain verbally.

Good. I will never ever able to relate to the picture posted and to string together the complicated meanings behind the picture. Glad you explain.
Yes, we all do not think the same way, and I am glad you are open minded enough to allow the viewers to think in any which direction they choose. You did not leave a single clue, if you did not explain verbally.

Good. The only verbal explanation I offered here is the title.

..... too cheem for me ....... :p

I like artworks which are not explicit in nature. Hence, I do appreciate the potential in your photo and idea.

i read the above description.. & i feel that if you're trying to pinpoint to that dude whom still has hope, maybe some "emphasis" should be showered upon him.
like maybe hes colored or smth.. u know, or else he will just pass most's eyes.

and the first thing that struck (and irritated) me is the black part. yeah i get your point about being swallowed by darkness, but i dont think that should take up like 3/4 of the photo.

i think that this shot belong in the Abstract sub-forum. it's quite different from his others.

his shots are artistic and makes one think.

and that, is something that is unique that is rarely seen.

other than the same old one liner "good job" or "nice!" that we get in other threads, at least his images provoke thoughts.

this is the definition from wiki

"Portrait photography or portraiture is the capture by means of photography of the likeness of a person or a small group of people (a group portrait), in which the face and expression is predominant. "
"A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the camera."

So how? Maybe can move the post,
Portraiture or whatsoever aside, composition is not into my liking. There is no story on the photo itself.
Just my opinion, hope you are not offended.
Keep shooting :)

i think that this shot belong in the Abstract sub-forum. it's quite different from his others.

his shots are artistic and makes one think.

and that, is something that is unique that is rarely seen.

other than the same old one liner "good job" or "nice!" that we get in other threads, at least his images provoke thoughts.

Thanks kei:)

this is the definition from wiki

"Portrait photography or portraiture is the capture by means of photography of the likeness of a person or a small group of people (a group portrait), in which the face and expression is predominant. "
"A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the camera."

So how? Maybe can move the post,
Portraiture or whatsoever aside, composition is not into my liking. There is no story on the photo itself.
Just my opinion, hope you are not offended.
Keep shooting :)

Hey akangtooch, how can I be offended if you express your opinion politely? This never offended me. What get's me started are impolite individuals that use anonymity to abuse you verbally.

I'm looking for that man, once I saw him.. :bigeyes:

Thanks for sharing... :)

Thanks kei:)

no problem. although this might belong elsewhere.

other than your shots with the guys wielding guns, your other shots like "teeth", "devil in me" and "hades" are pretty thought provoking and tells a story.

keep improving to take it to the next level ;)

Eiphany indeed, as aptly titled. Unusal viewpoint from above, slightly disorientating, makes the people below look puny, vulnerable, lost, precoccupied with themselves but surrounded, overwhelmed by a world of darkness. Your photos show faint glimmers of light engulfed in darkness or deep darkness within engulfed by bright lights without. Hints at the human condition, at the world we are in, within & without. Stirs the conflicting feelings in us, provokes our thoughts. Appreciate the art, a different kind of human "portrait". If I may say so, you seem to draw your inspirations from the great movies of old, of those black & whites of a bygone era.

Last edited:
Your pictures needs digesting in order to 'realise' what's being presented. It's just like solving the Rubic
cube twisting and turning till one finds the answer at the end.In any case it's good for the brains though :)

A picture says a thousand words and in this case it said nothing.

A good images should evoke a feeling, provoke a thought or tells a story/message on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.