epiphany

Status
Not open for further replies.
A picture says a thousand words and in this case it said nothing.

A good images should evoke a feeling, provoke a thought or tells a story/message on it's own.

Well, it says nothing to you and many others. There are also many others to whom it speaks. What's the lesson from this?

Eiphany indeed, as aptly titled. Unusal viewpoint from above, slightly disorientating, makes the people below look puny, vulnerable, lost, precoccupied with themselves but surrounded, overwhelmed by a world of darkness. Your photos show faint glimmers of light engulfed in darkness or deep darkness within engulfed by bright lights without. Hints at the human condition, at the world we are in, within & without. Stirs the conflicting feelings in us, provokes our thoughts. Appreciate the art, a different kind of human "portrait". If I may say so, you seem to draw your inspirations from the great movies of old, of those black & whites of a bygone era.

Thanks man! As usual, your comment is rich and shows me a new perspective. Many thanks!

@yqt I can't agree more.

A good photo should speaks for itself (whenever possible)...

As for the shot, I am not fond of the large solid black space.
Perspective is kind of interesting. A tighter crop allows viewer to focus more on the male subject? Cannot see the expression at this present distance right now.

I get your idea, but your processing does not quite end up with the result of the upwards looking man standing out.

It doesn't have to be immediately obvious, but neither should it yield a result where viewers end up searching the whole photograph for your message, getting attracted by various people standing out because of their white garb (which could be corrected with good BnW processing), before realizing what you are driving at. In this case, one could say that the joke had been told for such a long time that it was no longer funny when you got what was happening.

My suggestion is to lose all that darkening on the right, it's just cheesey because light doesn't work that way, and it could make a little bit of sense, such as in your previous work such as "teeth", unless there was a solid cloud flying across the sun at that moment, it's obvious that said photographer had spent a lot of time just splashing black paint on the right. Do a proper BnW conversion, make sure your intended subject stands out. You did not do yourself any favours by leaving too many brightly garbed people in as highlights, the eye is naturally drawn to the brightest parts of the photograph when most of it is dark. Also, it would probably have been better if you had not thrown that big bush in the bottom left corner of the photograph as well. Cheers.

Last edited:
The wording below the photo is getting boring.

I get your idea, but your processing does not quite end up with the result of the upwards looking man standing out.

It doesn't have to be immediately obvious, but neither should it yield a result where viewers end up searching the whole photograph for your message, getting attracted by various people standing out because of their white garb (which could be corrected with good BnW processing), before realizing what you are driving at. In this case, one could say that the joke had been told for such a long time that it was no longer funny when you got what was happening.

My suggestion is to lose all that darkening on the right, it's just cheesey because light doesn't work that way, and it could make a little bit of sense, such as in your previous work such as "teeth", unless there was a solid cloud flying across the sun at that moment, it's obvious that said photographer had spent a lot of time just splashing black paint on the right. Do a proper BnW conversion, make sure your intended subject stands out. You did not do yourself any favours by leaving too many brightly garbed people in as highlights, the eye is naturally drawn to the brightest parts of the photograph when most of it is dark. Also, it would probably have been better if you had not thrown that big bush in the bottom left corner of the photograph as well. Cheers.

Have you heard about metaphor? I guess not... Anyway, check Daido Moriyama, Araki or De Carava it will be valuable education for you.

Well, it says nothing to you and many others. There are also many others to whom it speaks. What's the lesson from this?

Question is did the image speak to them or was it you who spoke to them with your explaination?

Have you heard about metaphor? I guess not... Anyway, check Daido Moriyama, Araki or De Carava it will be valuable education for you.

Ah, the spirit of an Educator! Kind sir, I fear that I must return you the favour you have done me , by opening my eyes to these great artists. After I have seen their works, I confess that I understand your photograph now. In its bizarre chaos and inexplicable lack of focus, you would surely render these 3 great giants speechless if they saw your photograph. You have stared into the faces of Great Artists, and they are but your shadows.

In the true spirit of doing one a good turn when one has received one, I propose these beautiful articles for your marvellous gaze. Perchance they might elevate your photography to the next level - beyond legends, beyond reproach. Please feel free to peruse them when it becomes you to dally on my wretched suggestions. Thank you.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad
Basic Composition Techniques for Beginner Photographers
An introduction to digital black and white photography

IMHO, I really enjoy following TS' threads because after ignoring the photos, the comments are so interesting.

Ah, the spirit of an Educator! Kind sir, I fear that I must return you the favour you have done me , by opening my eyes to these great artists. After I have seen their works, I confess that I understand your photograph now. In its bizarre chaos and inexplicable lack of focus, you would surely render these 3 great giants speechless if they saw your photograph. You have stared into the faces of Great Artists, and they are but your shadows.

In the true spirit of doing one a good turn when one has received one, I propose these beautiful articles for your marvellous gaze. Perchance they might elevate your photography to the next level - beyond legends, beyond reproach. Please feel free to peruse them when it becomes you to dally on my wretched suggestions. Thank you.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad
Basic Composition Techniques for Beginner Photographers
An introduction to digital black and white photography

You know what, you are a little man. Nothing more than that. A little man that takes pictures that make me yawn. All by the book without any creativity. Anonymity of this forum gives you powers that you abuse. A little man, nothing more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.