EOS 450D vs Fuji S5 Pro >> Which should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
450d is definitely ok...no doubt abt..
i would suggest that you put on hold on further lens purchased since u are on a tight budget
just shoot w the kit lens until u hit the bottleneck...
sometimes kit lens can produce amazing results

all these lens talk are making me confuzzled.

k simply which one should i go too? is the 450d okay for a new guy like me?
why not you go to the shops and test both cameras before deciding...

Yeah 450D is good for beginners. However your budget is set aside for kit lens and 50mm F1.8 only. You need a good flash, at least a 430 EXII. As you are the primary photographer, if you are not well equipped, then photos might turn out bad.
Another thing is are you going to shoot all indoor using 50mm F1.8?
Of cos i would recommend you to have a budget of ard 2k.

450d is definitely ok...no doubt abt..
i would suggest that you put on hold on further lens purchased since u are on a tight budget
just shoot w the kit lens until u hit the bottleneck...
sometimes kit lens can produce amazing results

thats what i thought too, i surveyed some of the pics turned out not bad at all

Please be an adult and make your own decision. Don't expect people to tall you what to buy, that's not a good way to live.

Like I said, test the cameras. If necessary, just save your money and rent the equipment on the wedding day instead.

Please be an adult and make your own decision. Don't expect people to tall you what to buy, that's not a good way to live.

Like I said, test the cameras. If necessary, just save your money and rent the equipment on the wedding day instead.

Adults don't deny themselves the rights to ask for opinions when they need one.

Adults don't deny themselves the rights to ask for opinions when they need one.

There's opinions, then there's asking to be told which one to buy.

There's opinions, then there's asking to be told which one to buy.

well, if it helps in my evaluation and decision, i don't see a problem. i have utmost respect for you and all other posters, but if your don't want to contribute in this process of making a decision then don't.

thanks for your valuable advice upthread though. peace.

how about renting a body, lens and flash for your wedding shoot ? that way you wont be in much of a dilemma. as far i know there's no rental for fuji s5pro unless there's people who wants to rent theirs out. quite a few rental centres here.. can find them under services ;)

Alright, allow me to have this kinda topic please. I have researched high and low but I am still torn between this two. I have to step into the DSLR world soon as I have been assigned to be the primary photographer for my cousin's wedding this August. I don't know if 450D + some decent lens can do the magic? S5 Pro seems very niche in this area, but buying complementary lens would be too costly.

Don't do it unless you are prepared to spend more money. Irregardless of 450D or S5pro, with just a body and a kit lens, it will be a challenge to complete the assignment with decency.. and I am being optimistic about it.

I'm still young so my budget is pretty low, around 1.2k maybe. At first I was amazed by the S5 Pro, but it's just a body and that alone cost the same as the 450D kit. Plus, the package that entails with the 450D is too good to miss. I don't know which would suit me best and give me more creative control.

Aright, so you can't spend more than $1.2k? Then can $1.2k buy an S5pro + lens? Cannot right? I think that is the bottom line already.

Now 75% of my heart is for 450D kit + additional 50mm f1.8 lens. Would I make a bad choice at the end of the day?:sweat::sweat: I have been pondering upon this decision for quite some time now, I want my first DSLR to be one with a promising start I guess.

Yes you will. If u buy a 450D, you will wish you've bought the S5pro. If you've bought the S5pro.. rinse and repeat.

Although we have never chatted before, but I do notice your PnS shots. U will do fine with either the 450D or the S5pro. I think u have the potential to bring out really good performance with either camera.

S5pro -$1200
50mm f1.8 -$160
18-135mm len - $250 (2nd hand)
SB600 - $350 or SB800 - $660
2 battery - S$130
Battery Grip -$250
Bag - S$80
Filter - $70

A simple answer is YES... To me for wedding shots... a good external flash is more important that the camera body... :)

S5pro -$1200
50mm f1.8 -$160
18-135mm len - $250 (2nd hand)
SB600 - $350 or SB800 - $660
2 battery - S$130
Battery Grip -$250
Bag - S$80
Filter - $70

Some comment on the setup if used on a Wedding Event:

50mm f1.8
For Wedding day shots if you are the main photographer, a 50mm f1.8 is too limiting (unless you keep changing lens or use it on your second body)

18-135mm lens
Without VR, you have to use a higher shutter speed & ISO setting to avoid handshake, not advisable for Wedding indoor evening shots.

Battery Grip
Most Wedding day shots are landscape shots, it good to have the extra battery but it add to the overall weight (beside changing a battery is much easy to changing a lens)

hmm thanks anson for the help. i'll ponder. theres no drastic improvement in 450d from 400d right? cause theres one 400d kit selling for 888. is that good? so i can buy other stuffs with my budget

hmm thanks anson for the help. i'll ponder. theres no drastic improvement in 450d from 400d right? cause theres one 400d kit selling for 888. is that good? so i can buy other stuffs with my budget

Sorry can't help you on this as for me a spot metering & Live View is very important for me... hence for me 400D (both features are missing) is not in my consideration at all. :)

Hi TS

If you don't mind me saying this, I am truly concerned for you. You will be the primary photographer this Aug, but is hampered by budget. IMO, a basic setup for a general wedding condition will require a dSLR, at least a standard zoom lens (on an AP-C format sensor, we're looking at the 18-135mm range, possible more) and a flash unit.

Equipment aside, you'd also need to know how to use them effectively, and to address whatever limitations you may have. If you are alien to your equipment, then your equipment ultimately wouldn't matter.

In any case, if I were stuck with a budget of S$1200, I would

1. Purchase a Canon 450D / Nikon D60 kit
2. Rent a f/2.8 zoom lens
3. Perhaps rent a prime with a large aperture (f/1.8 or f/1.4)
4. Rent a flash unit (Canon 430/580EX, Nikon SB 600/800/900)

I don't recommend renting equipment for Wedding event unless you have used it before. The reason being if you don't know your equipment well enough most likely you may encounter some problem during a Wedding event...

Remember in a Wedding event, you don't have a second chance... :nono:

Ain't the S5pro based on the Dx00 series Nikons? -- Like that not really a fair fight right? :bsmilie:

Anyway, I guess most of the guys here have already said what needs to be said -- a wedding is a couple's celebration of coming together, if you screw up, :sweat: .

That said, there are lots of other cameras out there in the market, SONY, Pentax, Olympus, or even Nikon, why limit yourself to just 2 brands?
:cool:

Well, I made the assumption that the TS would be familiar with the equipment. That is, to have at least worked with the same model of lens or flash.

My suggestion to rent equipment is primarily driven by the TS's need to keep costs low; S$1,200 isn't going to buy much. A body+lens kit would have sapped up most of the funds already. I find large aperture zoom lenses very useful in ballrooms and other indoor settings, and a flash would be, IMO, necessary. Doubt S$1,200 can buy you that much.

But Anson does have a point. You must be familiar with the equipment... I do agree that it is pointless to rent if TS is alien to the equipment.

That said, there are lots of other cameras out there in the market, SONY, Pentax, Olympus, or even Nikon, why limit yourself to just 2 brands?
:cool:

Whichever brand you choose, S$1,200 still isn't going to buy you much. But I recognize your point. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.