Enquiries on a member

BenHoo

Jun 17, 2009
Hi clubsnap admin,
Recently I saw a post by a member (not sure if he is still available), name is DSLRCAM. He posted selling 5Dmk3 at $2000. May I know the reason of his post deleted or why his banned? As I am planning to purchase from him where I need to transfer the amt to him before he will deliver the camera. He is base in UK thus unable to make a face to face transaction. Hope you are able to enlighten me the reason for banning him as I'm afraid his not a genuine seller as the deal seems very attractive. Thanks in advance.

Hi clubsnap admin,
Recently I saw a post by a member (not sure if he is still available), name is DSLRCAM. He posted selling 5Dmk3 at $2000. May I know the reason of his post deleted or why his banned? As I am planning to purchase from him where I need to transfer the amt to him before he will deliver the camera. He is base in UK thus unable to make a face to face transaction. Hope you are able to enlighten me the reason for banning him as I'm afraid his not a genuine seller as the deal seems very attractive. Thanks in advance.

seriously?

if you want to never see your 2k again then go ahead.

Hi clubsnap admin,

You are a member since??????

The member has been de-registered as the posts made are suspected to be scam posts. We strongly advise you not to purchase from such members posting deals which are too good to be true - they very often are scams, and more so especially if the money needs to be transferred overseas.

Thanks alot for the info :)

FYI, we deregistered such scammers on the daily basis.
their pattern never change, but yet still have some people falls for it.

advise our members be vigilance on such "too good to be true" offers, please make report post when you came across threads.

He posted selling 5Dmk3 at $2000. .

Warning sign #1. Get suspicious/skeptical. :think: Think. Research. Check recent going price in marketplace.

...purchase from him where I need to transfer the amt to him before he will deliver the camera.

Warning sign #2. Even if this person claims to be your father/mother/brother/sister/friend, you should still be suspicious, much less a total stranger. What if their account got compromised? Have received a number of "Help! I've been robbed while on holiday, please send me money" emails from friends. There's no reason to trust a total stranger to follow through with their promise after they have received your $$. :nono: Don't even think about this with local sellers, much less one claiming to be based overseas.

He is base in UK thus unable to make a face to face transaction.

Warning sign #3. At this point you should realize that this is probably another lie to facilitate the necessity of you transferring money to a random account without seeing physical goods. Seller could be anywhere. In fact, the whole thing is probably a lie. There is probably no 5DMk3 either. If you aren't already running away at this point... :dunno:

@TS, hope you come away from this learning how to recognise a very common scam. So common there's really no excuse for being duped. Oh yeah, anyone claiming to be a member of royalty, high level foreign official or ambassador contacting you about helping to redeem a huge family inheritance probably isn't legit either. All the best.

Further reading/education:
FBI.gov: Internet Fraud
Current and ongoing Internet trends and schemes identified by the Internet Crime Complaint Center
Internet Crime Complaint Center: Internet Crime Prevention Tips
Scamwatch.gov.au: Online scams
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_fraud

-----------

Can only wonder how many members CS mods have saved, thanks for the prompt action. :thumbsup: I do try to report suspicious-looking posts/accounts when I spot them.

Last edited:
as a general rule, we will normally delete any new accounts (ie. 0 posts accounts) that want to buy/sell from overseas locations cos they are the most suspicious. with the new IP filters installed after the last upgrade by our Admins, what we are getting is actual scammers posting their threads and not those bots. so, most look very believable until you start negotiating with them. (and you guys think being the mods of CS is very fun... like what catchlights say, try sorting out tons of buy/sell posts everyday...)

but we will still miss some. general rule applies - if it is too good to be true or ask you to send $/product overseas, ignore and report.

Hi clubsnap admin,

You should thank Mods for saving your $2K... maybe buy them coffee :):):)