Enquires of Lens for landscape -

Status
Not open for further replies.

chOmper

Sep 26, 2009
Currently Using a Canon 500D with 18-55m lens & 50mm f1.8 .

For Landscapes to places like korea or Nepal ?

any suggestions for any lens ??? with budget around 1k .
is there a need for flash ???
or 18-200mm will do just fine ?

Thanks in Advance =)

Cheers -

if you're talking about sweeping views from a vantage point, you'll want a wideangle lens like 10-22 if you're not good at stitching panoramas. also, 55 mm is not going to take you very far if you want a tighter shot from above, and there is no legitimate solution around that. hence, i'll say pair a 18-200 with a 10-22. if that totally blows your budget, then just 18-200 because it's more versatile.

do you need even wider lens?
if yes
10-22 is fine...
if its too wide... go home crop

for landscape... flash is not needed. you cant possbily light up everything :confused:
if you are into nite shoot.... you WILL need a tripod

i dun think u need a 18-200 unless u need a long zoom lens and shooting in the day.
50 1.8 is good for walkard and its light and cheap.
also it can be use in low light.

+1 on this

i suggest you use the Canon 10-22mm UWA lens, and a tripod also comes in handy.

Or the third party lenses are also good - Tamron 11-16, Sigma 10-20, etc...

thanks guys - but seeking more opinions , dad had yet to comfirm a place for holiday -
hope to take some terrific shot but dunno wad lens to purchase -

=D

Wide angles are a given for landscapes. But don't forget the tele-end as well.

I was in Tuscany last year, and found good use for the 300mm f/4. Nepal having a fairly mountainous landscape will no doubt offer tight framing opportunities as well.

Just my 0.02. :)

hope to take some terrific shot but dunno wad lens to purchase -

=D

The best guarantee of getting terrific shots is to work on your technique, your composition, your awareness and vision. Give a bad photographer a good lens and he will still take bad photos.

do you need even wider lens?
if yes
10-22 is fine...
if its too wide... go home crop

for landscape... flash is not needed. you cant possbily light up everything :confused:
if you are into nite shoot.... you WILL need a tripod

i dun think u need a 18-200 unless u need a long zoom lens and shooting in the day.
50 1.8 is good for walkard and its light and cheap.
also it can be use in low light.

agree.. ef-s 10-22mm is damn good lens for xxxD and xxD series imho

hmm for landscape whats more important is actually a tripod.
18-55 is actually sufficient for normal landscape photographs,
however if u're talking about travelling 18-200 is definitely a good choice.
1) it saves u the hassle of changing lens if u have a telephoto lens.
2) u have the wide angle that u need and the zoom that u need so u're basically good to shoot everything within your range.
3) convenience, u don't have to carry so many lenses with you.

thanks for the advice people =D ...
i may not be a terrific photographer - but not so noob T_T

will improve as time passes - =DD

Cheers - More advice pls

I am using canon 16-35mm for landscape...

Currently Using a Canon 500D with 18-55m lens & 50mm f1.8 .

For Landscapes to places like korea or Nepal ?

any suggestions for any lens ??? with budget around 1k .
is there a need for flash ???
or 18-200mm will do just fine ?

Thanks in Advance =)

Cheers -

I am using canon 16-35mm for landscape...
On a crop body such as the 500D, the 16-35 focal length is not considered UWA anymore. The resulting focal length is quite useless unless you bought the lens specifically for PJ or event work. And of course, the HUGE premium over the Canon 10-22 really makes it overpriced especially when the IQ of the 10-22 is much better with very little distortion, way better flare resistance and of course, superior sharpness.

thanks people - most probably getting a 10-22 unless where over budget then no choice settle for 18-200 =.=

How about the soon to be launch 15-85mm? U get the best of both world (almost) - wide (5mm less than 10-22mm) and a bit of extra tele (63mm more). ;)

You don't have to use UWA lenses for landscape photography. Case in point is the following photo, which was shot at 57mm using a 24-70mm.

9e5983dc788a4284de951b392c206bb5.jpg

besides the uses of the focal length, as a outdoor photographer, if u going trekking in nepal, you would want a better built lens. If you are just holidaying inside a bus traveling around with occasionally dropping to sites taking them then I guess it doesn't really matter what lenses you choose. If you have the freedom and time to run around to compose your shot then you probably dun want a ultra zoom. But if you need to take photo fast, on short period of time and limited areas for u to travel in and out to take a shot, go for your ultra zoom.

Also to remember is how heavy is your total setup going to be. A normal tourist wouldn't want to carry along big and heavy equipment. When I travel with families and I know I wouldn't have time for alot of photography i just take a 28-300 with a wide angle in hotel room, reserved only for certain sites that I know that I needed that. Normal walkabout, run around I use a bare body with a ultra zoom with a flash for portraitures. If your body has 1 I wouldn't bother anymore. If you want more flash get some of the pop-up diffuser I think it helps a little. A monopod will help in the walking and for security purposes.

Travel light and enjoy the scene so that you have a clear mind to take photo rather than getting tired and panting and you become a slave to your equipment.

Oh! You should go to Nepal. It's photography heaven. I was there for 3 weeks recently, in September.
All i brought along(in terms of camera gear) was my 500D+Canon 18200+50 f/1.8+580 EX II+Crumpler 6 million dollar home.(Thats all i have currently)
At times i wished i had a wide angle lens as there are scenes that you can truly appreciate on a wide angle lens. But 97% of the time, my Canon 18200 was the main lens that i used.
I'm considering buying the Canon 1022 wide angle lens but need to save up again. The trip to Nepal took a toll on my wallet.
Go bungee jump at the Last Resort. Its $%@@$#@ awesome.

=)

thanks people - most probably getting a 10-22 unless where over budget then no choice settle for 18-200 =.=

A second hand 10-22 should be within budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.