Employ Singaporeans for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
I just got an E-SAF100 yesterday asking me to go back unit for a briefing.
Commuting to work by the MRT today, I told a fellow colleague about my latest call-up. Then I heard some comments saying "employers shouldn't employ Singaporeans, so troublesome, need to reservist, need CPF... etc."

Looking around my dept (being the only Singaporean out of 8) and as well as the rest of my cohorts in my company (PRs / EPs mostly from Mainland China, India or Malaysia), I can't help but feel that Singapore has turned into a such "mini-China / India" and Singaporeans going to the dumps as a second class resident.

Anyone feeling the same thing.

Commuting to work by the MRT today, I told a fellow colleague about my latest call-up. Then I heard some comments saying "employers shouldn't employ Singaporeans, so troublesome, need to reservist, need CPF... etc."

Looking around my dept (being the only Singaporean out of 8) and as well as the rest of my cohorts in my company (PRs / EPs mostly from Mainland China, India or Malaysia), I can't help but feel that Singapore has turned into a such "mini-China / India" and Singaporeans going to the dumps as a second class resident.

Time for u to report to MOM..ratio of Singaporeans to foreigners is not right..:think:

Sad to say, this is indeed happening everywhere..however, i think the ratio set by MOM still has to observe..

Yeah. Having to serve reservist always makes employers think as such.

But think about it... compared to the 'FTs' that take longer leaves (to go home) I think our reservist is considered nothing...

My company is the same also, Singaporeans are a minority. My fellow colleagues are a mixture of Malaysian, Indonesian, Philippinos, Burmese, Vietnamese, Thais, Chinese(PRC), Indians, Blangadeshis & Sri Lankans. I called my company a "Singaporean owned Multi-National Company". Sometimes I feel that my company employs Singaporeans just for the sake of keeping the S'pore vs Foreigner ratio.

8:1? How did your company manage to get those permits or passes? Even for EP, thought there's a quota too. :confused:

Time for u to report to MOM..ratio of Singaporeans to foreigners is not right..:think:

Sad to say, this is indeed happening everywhere..however, i think the ratio set by MOM still has to observe..

No! That will be another thumbsdown for Singaporeans as far as the boss is concerned!

You are right about this bro. One of the reason i am doing photography full-time is because of this too. The last company i worked ( 80% ) of the total is from China, India etc etc only 20% is from local.

I was the only one Singaporean in my dept and its not easy to be the rose among the torn. There was lots of back stabbing lots of talking, VERY VERY Less work Done . They only move when the bosses are around , other then that only there mouth moves,
I agreed with you on the 2nd class here .. indeed I felt same too when I was in the work force too.

agree. whenever i'm in the office elevator, it seems that I'm a minority inside the lift ie the only local amongst the FTs (fr India/China/Philippines). real scary.......being a 'minority' in my own country.

Isn't that too low??

Funny thing I've observe lately, more higher pay jobs (e.g management positions) are take up by foreigners..this really suxs!!
Cos the company has many subsidiaries, when the limit is hit for one, they hire/employ under the other subsidiaries headcount.

In my last team, I'm the only chinese, in a row of 8, at both ends are me and my china colleague.

Oh 40 is inclusive of china peeps, malaysian(s) and indians. SGeans are a handful.

agree. whenever i'm in the office elevator, it seems that I'm a minority inside the lift ie the only local amongst the FTs (fr India/China/Philippines). real scary.......being a 'minority' in my own country.
That's nothing, if we go overseas, we're 2nd class citizens, but in singapore, being a SGean, you're a 2nd class citizen anyway! What's the diff???? :bsmilie:

Only FTs and Expats are treated like 1st class citizen in SG anyway... amusing, isn't it ? :bsmilie:

This is not only happening at work place..i can sense the growth of foreigners basically everywhere in Singapore..including HDB estates..:(

That's nothing, if we go overseas, we're 2nd class citizens, but in singapore, being a SGean, you're a 2nd class citizen anyway! What's the diff???? :bsmilie:

Only FTs and Expats are treated like 1st class citizen in SG anyway... amusing, isn't it ? :bsmilie:

Interesting you mentioned that. A foreign friend of mine ever said that Singapore is the only country in the world that does not protect it's own citizens in the area of business, employment, etc, ie, foreigners have a level playing field to compete with Sgeans in employment, business etc. Practically every country in the world does it the other way, ie, protect it's own citizens against foreigners. Even China, which wants foreign investments badly, will make sure their citizens are not short-changed in any business transaction between them and foreigners. But then again, who are we to compare with China. :cry:

This is not only happening at work place..i can sense the growth of foreigners basically everywhere in Singapore..including HDB estates..:(

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/keystats/annual/indicators.html

I just browsed the above wepage.

Showed that we have 4,483,900 people in Singapore and we have 3,608,500 Singapore resident.

This shows we have 875,400 SP, EP and WP holders.
Wonder how many PRs we have out of the 3,608,500 residents?

waaaaa going by this rate , being a singaporean does not give any perks, maybe should migrate overseas n then come back as foreign talent.

not really lah, u got see sg so called elites being treated as 2nd class?

I think its the 'ahem' who gives you the thinking u are 2nd class... most of us are just worker class, get low pay, work long hours while these so called 'elites' just talk c*ck, sing song, then u guys will slog like hell even more... and end of the day they are 1st class u forever 2nd class... like my lect once said, a 1st class honours always 1st class, 2nd class always 2nd class, upper or lower also still 2nd class, its like a Merc benz vs a Proton Saga, no fight...

Status
Not open for further replies.