Em5 ii

I called to reserve EM5 II body a few days ago. SLR Revo called me earlier today said got stock liao but price is RRP so I turn down liao. Too ex for the moment.

If I already have em10, should I be looking at em5 ii or em1?

Anyone can kindly post some sample pics or do a quick comparison of the older EM-5 and with new EM-5II?

Don't mind to upgrade if the image quality is better, eg less noise in higher ISO.

Otherwise, I can't find good reasons to use some of the new features like better video (I hardly shoot videos with EM-5. The present quality looks great already), sideways LCD screen pullout (almost never needed to use this), 1/16000 shutter speed (I don't need to freeze cheetahs running in the safari! Ha...), high res EVF (hardly use EVF and it doesn't improve my final image quality anyway), 40MP high res sensor shift (initially I thought finally a tilt-shift function in Olympus m4/3! But turns out its just stitching of images where subject has to be perfectly still.... very limited applications).

It is possible, especially since LX100 is a m43 camera, maybe we can try if we can get the flash for the hands-on

tested the new oly flash that comes along on the lx100 hotshoe.. proved - not working normally.. the flash mounting is a little different, such that i need to push alittle for the pins to contact but this doesn't guarantee.. sometime it triggers sometime not..

the lx100 flash doesnt work on the em5ii at all.

Anyone can kindly post some sample pics or do a quick comparison of the older EM-5 and with new EM-5II?

Don't mind to upgrade if the image quality is better, eg less noise in higher ISO.

Otherwise, I can't find good reasons to use some of the new features like better video (I hardly shoot videos with EM-5. The present quality looks great already), sideways LCD screen pullout (almost never needed to use this), 1/16000 shutter speed (I don't need to freeze cheetahs running in the safari! Ha...), high res EVF (hardly use EVF and it doesn't improve my final image quality anyway), 40MP high res sensor shift (initially I thought finally a tilt-shift function in Olympus m4/3! But turns out its just stitching of images where subject has to be perfectly still.... very limited applications).

I'm pretty sure some review sites will have pictures out there already, have you googled?

tested the new oly flash that comes along on the lx100 hotshoe.. proved - not working normally.. the flash mounting is a little different, such that i need to push alittle for the pins to contact but this doesn't guarantee.. sometime it triggers sometime not..

the lx100 flash doesnt work on the em5ii at all.

Hmmmm.... May need to try again, cause the flash I tried on the E-M5 Mkii, didn't trigger cause I didn't slide it in lol

I'm pretty sure some review sites will have pictures out there already, have you googled?

Yup, have googled. But no direct comparison at different ISOs between the older EM5 or EM5II. Just based on single pictures from the EM5II, it's hard to really tell the performance of its sensor. At a glance, IQ looks quite similar to the older EM5 actually.

DPReview is an excellent review site, I just googled, clicked a bit and I found it already, still based on one image but see side by side 2 photos for ISO testing, if you want to see images, why not open 2 windows, one search for the mki images, the other for mkii and see the difference in quality

Great camera. Already very impresed with MK1 which I got last weekend.

I actually don't need the 128Gb SD as i don't feel comfortable keeping so many files in one big card.
If wait for the initial launch to be over, how much less are we expecting to pay?

I would imagine it could be hard to compare images of Mk1 and 2 unless they were taken with same settings, etc.

For me it was a no brainer, my MK1 is coming to 3 years and I wanted some of the new things on the MK2. So far been quite happy with it though I have not shoot extensively.

Something I took last night using my iPhone. Pardon the lack of sharpness. The comparison on number of AF points.

Attachments

• $IMG_3812_zps61cc6e97.jpg
    $IMG_3812_zps61cc6e97.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 11
Congrats on your purchase. How i the low light ISO performance? OIS don't help much with shooting active kids.

Flippable screen is an excellent feature for wefie/selfie.

Got a question for the new owners here.. Been awhile since I last used Olympus so I'm just curious if they've implemented a minimum shutter speed into their Auto ISO settings? The last Olympus I had was an EP3 where I could specify the minimum and maximum ISO for Auto ISO, but didn't allow me to set the minimum shutter speed which kind of made it redundant.

Congrats on your purchase. How i the low light ISO performance? OIS don't help much with shooting active kids.

Flippable screen is an excellent feature for wefie/selfie.

I did a test of the high iso in the review, dpreview also did an iso test, I found it to be acceptable

Thanks. Good to hear that. The link was useful too. :)

Hmmm I've been deciding between getting the EM1 Kit and EM5 Mk II with 12-40 f2.8 lens and I personally seem to lean towards getting an EM1 Kit.

They both cost approximately the same
Olympus promo is giving the 40-150 lens and extra battery for EM1 and the 128GB SD Card for EM5 Mk II

After trying both cameras I prefer the deeper grip of EM1 and the 12-40 lens seems better balanced on the body. Which means should I get EM5 Mk II I'll need to spend more for the HLD-8 grip.
EM5 Mk II has the flippy screen while EM1 is tilt. (Can't really decide which do I prefer now)
EM1 has PDAF that can be used C-AF (if I am not wrong)
Not a video shooter here and I see myself using the Hi-Res Shot sparingly.

One thing I read about long exposures is that the original EM5 seems to have less noise than EM1 and I expect the same performance from EM5 MkII. I do shoot 30-45 secs exposures so will it be a big problem if I get the EM1?

Hmmm I've been deciding between getting the EM1 Kit and EM5 Mk II with 12-40 f2.8 lens and I personally seem to lean towards getting an EM1 Kit.

They both cost approximately the same
Olympus promo is giving the 40-150 lens and extra battery for EM1 and the 128GB SD Card for EM5 Mk II

After trying both cameras I prefer the deeper grip of EM1 and the 12-40 lens seems better balanced on the body. Which means should I get EM5 Mk II I'll need to spend more for the HLD-8 grip.
EM5 Mk II has the flippy screen while EM1 is tilt. (Can't really decide which do I prefer now)
EM1 has PDAF that can be used C-AF (if I am not wrong)
Not a video shooter here and I see myself using the Hi-Res Shot sparingly.

One thing I read about long exposures is that the original EM5 seems to have less noise than EM1 and I expect the same performance from EM5 MkII. I do shoot 30-45 secs exposures so will it be a big problem if I get the EM1?

No issue with 30-45sec, I did a update on the review with V2 firmware for EM1 few months back and it seems to be ok with the update Fw.
This shot is 76sec, pretty clean. Out of camera

PDAF is for the 43rd lenses. So if you dun own them, it's hardly a difference on m43 lenses.

Swivel screen on EM5m2 is useful for selfie, landscapes (but it can be blocked if use with L bracket, or the ECG-2 (i think is the model)), but if shoot street, i prefer a tilt + touchscreen for fast capture. But that's me.

Oh that sounds good! Thanks for the image upload too!

I'm actually pretty confused about the PDAF portion.
I understand its utilised for 4/3rd lens but is it being used in af-tracking with MFT lens? Been reading online and some say yes while others don't think so :/

Haha selfie not a biggie for my usage. Though being about to flip the screen inwards for protection is certainly nice!

Might consider getting this cam if the titanium version pushed through

Might consider getting this cam if the titanium version pushed through

Wonder will this limited Ed be like the OM4-Ti where it's an titanium body or just a titanium type coating, interesting one to own though.

Hmmm I've been deciding between getting the EM1 Kit and EM5 Mk II with 12-40 f2.8 lens and I personally seem to lean towards getting an EM1 Kit. They both cost approximately the same Olympus promo is giving the 40-150 lens and extra battery for EM1 and the 128GB SD Card for EM5 Mk II After trying both cameras I prefer the deeper grip of EM1 and the 12-40 lens seems better balanced on the body. Which means should I get EM5 Mk II I'll need to spend more for the HLD-8 grip. EM5 Mk II has the flippy screen while EM1 is tilt. (Can't really decide which do I prefer now) EM1 has PDAF that can be used C-AF (if I am not wrong) Not a video shooter here and I see myself using the Hi-Res Shot sparingly. One thing I read about long exposures is that the original EM5 seems to have less noise than EM1 and I expect the same performance from EM5 MkII. I do shoot 30-45 secs exposures so will it be a big problem if I get the EM1?

I'll go for the EM1 but end of the day , it's down back to what one likes and needs. The main diff to me now is that the EM5ii offers OMD video and that the screen can be swiveled out plus the sensor shift technology. Other than that I still prefer the grip of the EM1 as it goes well with my glasses even without attaching an external grip. Very happy with what the EM1 can offer and yup as Wong has shared, the hot pixels issue has been resolved/ improved upon.