Em5 ii

sorry i wish to cancel my offer to share the cost of body + kit set.. all the low ballers really duno got brain or not.. RRP for body only is $1398, while body + lens is $1998.. a handful of self fulfilled and self entitled low ballers offered me $500 for the lens, meaning I have to pay $1498 for the body.. Why would anyone with half a brain agree to such a stupid deal? Want to deal, deal so that it's win win, not so that you can get cheap lens and pass all the burden to the camera body, wanting to get away with cheap lens just cause it came as a kit! Plus, it's not even a 2nd hand lens, you're getting it 1st hand from the shop!!!

Best thing to do is to just ignore offer like this. Don't let it ruin your day.

I bought the body only packaged with free 128GB SD card. I subsequently sold the card away to help reduce the cost.

I know how it feels bro, just enjoy the full set and sell it second hand;) thought you gave up on m43 and switched to Leica a few months ago? Welcome back[emoji106]

I am hoping for a EM1ii soon instead of the em5ii though. Kind of similar to warrant an upgrade

LOL nah, just put up my entire set for sale just to "put it out there".. buy then buy... if no buyers, i'm also ok.. just that too many lenses in my dry cabinet I feel a bit pity...

In the end I sold off most of my lenses but just can't seem to let go of my Nocticron, which is my only serious lens left. But pairing it with my E-P5 feels so awkward because it's front heavy, which is why this EM5 ii is starting to look attractive to me. I guess I'll just buy the body only when the price drops a couple hundred dollars more lol.. Pretty sure there'll be a nice SG50 promotion when the time comes! My E-P5 still serves me well so I'm in no hurry

Went to courts the other day and played around with the EM5ii.. when pressing the shutter button.. WHOAA.. feels so much more shiok and more refined than the E-P5!

Also considering E-M1.. But ironically the E-M5 has better features than the supposedly flagship..? And going by Olympus' timeline, I doubt there'll be any update to the E-M1 until 2017?

Last edited:
Best thing to do is to just ignore offer like this. Don't let it ruin your day.

I bought the body only packaged with free 128GB SD card. I subsequently sold the card away to help reduce the cost.

When is the free SD Card promotion ending? Maybe I can chiong first, get the free card and do as you did to help reduce cost!

When is the free SD Card promotion ending? Maybe I can chiong first, get the free card and do as you did to help reduce cost!

8th March. You have few more days!!

Also considering E-M1.. But ironically the E-M5 has better features than the supposedly flagship..? And going by Olympus' timeline, I doubt there'll be any update to the E-M1 until 2017?

Do you need the 40MP hi-res or improved video functions? If not, EM1 is still functionally competent and going cheap on BnS. Saw a few units around the $950 - $1300 range depending on condition, warranty and shutter count. The Nocticron is well balanced on the EM1 while the EM5ii may require the HLD-8. But of course, the sd card makes the deal slightly sweeter for now:)

Went to courts the other day and played around with the EM5ii.. when pressing the shutter button.. WHOAA.. feels so much more shiok and more refined than the E-P5! Also considering E-M1.. But ironically the E-M5 has better features than the supposedly flagship..? And going by Olympus' timeline, I doubt there'll be any update to the E-M1 until 2017?

Actually I'm keeping to my EM1 and I use the Nocticron ;) I just had my shutter replaced and with another recent firmware update (now ver3) , it's gonna serve me well for a few more years I hope.

Unless I need the 40mp landscape shot function or OMD video, it's not really a need for me to buy the EM5ii.

The EM1's grip is recessed enough for me to use the Nocticron without the need for any additions, while getting the EM5ii probably will mean I need the ECG-2 at an added premium.

Actually I'm keeping to my EM1 and I use the Nocticron ;) I just had my shutter replaced and with another recent firmware update (now ver3) , it's gonna serve me well for a few more years I hope.

Unless I need the 40mp landscape shot function or OMD video, it's not really a need for me to buy the EM5ii.

The EM1's grip is recessed enough for me to use the Nocticron without the need for any additions, while getting the EM5ii probably will mean I need the ECG-2 at an added premium.

Any reason you replaced the em1 shutter? What I like about the EM5 is the 5 axis stabilisation, trying it out at Courts, even a 1s shutter speed the image was plenty sharp! Is the em1 just as good?

Last edited:

Personally I think the selling point (compared to EM1).. Weight, earphone port, 5 stop IBIS. If one don't have native FT lenses, there is not much advantage of purchasing EM1

Last edited:
Any reason you replaced the em1 shutter? What I like about the EM5 is the 5 axis stabilisation, trying it out at Courts, even a 1s shutter speed the image was plenty sharp! Is the em1 just as good?

Hit quite a high shutter count and time for a replacement ;) it was within warranty too, so well , why not?

The EM1 has a more improved 5Axis stabilization over the old EM5, though of course on paper the newer EM5ii should perform even better with its updated IBIS.

If I'm not wrong , EM5 was the first to have 5axis, before EP5 (improved with auto detection of panning direction) , EM1 (similar to EP5) then now EM5ii.

That said , it's not which is better ; just go for the one U prefer more. If I'm a 15/1.7 user I'll just take the EP5 anyway.

Last edited:
Personally I think the selling point (compared to EM1).. Weight, microphone port, 5 stop IBIS.

Think you meant headphone port (with HLD-8G grip), cos the E-M1 has mic port too :)

Think you meant headphone port (with HLD-8G grip), cos the E-M1 has mic port too :)

Yup.. I meant "earphone", curious I corrected my post at 06:39 PM but your post is at 08:00 PM, is what I edited not reflected in the forum? :dunno:

Weight, earphone port, 5 stop IBIS.

Hit quite a high shutter count and time for a replacement ;) it was within warranty too, so well , why not?

The EM1 has a more improved 5Axis stabilization over the old EM5, though of course on paper the newer EM5ii should perform even better with its updated IBIS.

If I'm not wrong , EM5 was the first to have 5axis, before EP5 (improved with auto detection of panning direction) , EM1 (similar to EP5) then now EM5ii.

That said , it's not which is better ; just go for the one U prefer more. If I'm a 15/1.7 user I'll just take the EP5 anyway.

just realised i bought my ep5 on 8 dec 2013, registered it, so it should still be under warranty up till march 8 of this year, which is 3 days away! you recommend i chiong to olympus ctr to have it replaced? how many shutter count before it is considered high? and is there a way to check?

Last edited:
just realised i bought my ep5 on 8 dec 2013, registered it, so it should still be under warranty up till march 8 of this year, which is 3 days away! you recommend i chiong to olympus ctr to have it replaced? how many shutter count before it is considered high? and is there a way to check?

If you don feel something's not right with the camera, there's no point sending it in. Generally if nothing's wrong with the camera, nothing will be replaced either.

How to check shutter count: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42546968

Last edited:
Yup.. I meant "earphone", curious I corrected my post at 06:39 PM but your post is at 08:00 PM, is what I edited not reflected in the forum? :dunno:

Lol, I see the edit now. Maybe got lag during peak hour :bsmilie:

Aiyo... think is your browser's cache lah. :bsmilie:

I think you're right! I think what happened was I loaded the thread in a tab first and came back to it later. Mystery solved. Sorry for the OT, folks. Back to the E-M5ii.

If you don feel something's not right with the camera, there's no point sending it in. Generally if nothing's wrong with the camera, nothing will be replaced either.

How to check shutter count: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42546968

Didn't know that I could send it in to replace shutter if i have a high shutter count!

Didn't know that I could send it in to replace shutter if i have a high shutter count!

Nope , doesn't work that way lol. I explain in case there's confusion with people demanding new shutters

Had sent in my EM1 for cleaning and servicing after an overseas trip. During the cleaning , the technician was alert enough to notice that the shutter sound on my EM1 was louder than the norm and out of goodwill was kind enough to replace one for me.

Thus , with the shutter count I already had accumulated , it was really quite nice to have a replacement.

Last edited: