EM 5 MK II or EM1 MK II

vizard87

Nov 30, 2008
I am deciding to upgrade my EP 5, not too sure if i should get he EM5 Mk II or wait for the EM1 MK II, btw i wont say that i am a professional photographer just that its like a hobby of mine.

Both are capable cameras and are better than the E-P5, but got for the E-M5 MKII because it's cheaper and gets the job done, unless you've got a lot of cash and don't mind spending, then go for the E-M1 MKII, simple

I am deciding to upgrade my EP 5, not too sure if i should get he EM5 Mk II or wait for the EM1 MK II, btw i wont say that i am a professional photographer just that its like a hobby of mine.

If you are not looking at weather-sealed, perhaps the E-M10 mk 2 would be a more attractive update?

If you want weather sealed, there is always BnS for used M5 mk 2 and M1 mk 1s. The older M5 mk 1 is also quite good at used prices, just a matter of finding a good buy.

You could also check the shops for best pricing on new M5 mk 2s or M1 mk 1s.

As a hobbyist I try to save by buying used (EP-5 and EM5 mk 1). That was after I bought the EM5 mk 2 new at Sitex last year.

but may i enquire what is the difference between em5 mk 2 and Em1? which is better?

but may i enquire what is the difference between em5 mk 2 and Em1? which is better?

If you are refering to Em1 (mk1) obviously it is a pro grade camera but both are still 16Mp. One of many features of Em5 mk2 is the high res 50Mp. but only when camera is stationary or mounted on tripod.So technically apart from this 50Mp Em5mk2 is still 16Mp sensor.

If you have the money the Em1 mk2 is a different camera altogether. It is more pro now because it now has new 20Mp. sensor and processing engine.Despite people gripping about olympus UI (user interface) this is a new development when the 2 big boys have no new stuff to show off except Sony with the A99mk2.The new pro lenses that come with Em1 mk2 are also notable being there is now a 300mm f4 equivalent 600mm FF which can rival the established players. Read the respective reviews. Now Em1 mk2 is truely designed for sports (high frame rate) and nature photography.Which the old Em1 was criticised.;) But of course it's not cheap but still affordable than canikon pro cams.Now this is a true upgrade.. Haha.

Last edited:
Oh i understand that the em1 mk2 is definitely a higher tier camera currently esp for sports but why nature photography? actually i did not think of the em5 mk2 high es feature as i rarely brings tripod out..haha so that is why i am pondering which will be a better choice Em1 or Em5 mk2..for i think that the em1 mk2 is definitely higher than 2k for just its body..

Oh i understand that the em1 mk2 is definitely a higher tier camera currently esp for sports but why nature photography? actually i did not think of the em5 mk2 high es feature as i rarely brings tripod out..haha so that is why i am pondering which will be a better choice Em1 or Em5 mk2..for i think that the em1 mk2 is definitely higher than 2k for just its body..

Why nature..because of the new 300mm f4 (600mm equivalent) super tele that have good image even wide open at f4. Your camera choice is based on what you need in features to do what you want.So read the reviews and decide for yourself.Only you know what you want.The only difference is ep5 does not have evf but you can add one.I can't remember if both cams have optical or evfs.

Last edited:
haha thanks guys! i guess in the end i will be getting the em5 mk2 and not the em1 mk2 since its not out yet too..plus i was thinking i do not really bring my camera out except during special occasion or travels...thus em1 mk2 may not have the ROI for me..fingers crossed that i chose correctly

haha thanks guys! i guess in the end i will be getting the em5 mk2 and not the em1 mk2 since its not out yet too..plus i was thinking i do not really bring my camera out except during special occasion or travels...thus em1 mk2 may not have the ROI for me..fingers crossed that i chose correctly

The EM5 mk 2 is a good upgrade. Unfortunately the Sitex offer does not include body only options.

For kit, Got one dealer in town matching sitex freebies and throw in additional free gifts.
They reply my quote after my purchased from sitex, the saving is very significant:(

Well i already bought my body yesterday, i am in love with it~~ hahaa btw will you guys keep the free 45mm lens that they give out? or sell it?

Well i already bought my body yesterday, i am in love with it~~ hahaa btw will you guys keep the free 45mm lens that they give out? or sell it?

The 45/1.8 is one of the best bang for your buck lenses.
I would keep it personally as I feel there's more value in using it than the amount you can sell it for.

Wah Body only also free 45mm?
What a deal :)

Joel9978

Can share which shop?

A very big shop in PS.
But sitex already over so the promotion might revert back to the old one for oct & nov2016

Can keep 45 and if dun like sell on Bns? Have fun.

guys, if you go overseas, will you bring the 12-40 f2.8 or the 14-140 hd? i know my 45mm is a sure bring though i have my 17mm haha

I'll bring my 3 trusty lens 7-14, 12-40 & 40-150 f2.8.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk