EF 24-70L f2.8 with IS Rumour

IS in many situations is like masturbation... just for self satisfaction.

it can be useful but definitely not a big deal as many make it out to be, not at such short focal lengths.

Haha! Good one, bro!

Handholding at a 24-70L, with or without IS, shooting at 1/4s at an event is suicidal.

This is what I said. So please do not take me out of context. General events involve some form of action and most of the time, not stills.

The first link refers to using f1.2 lens and not the 24-70L. I view the second and noticed that the lens was also not a 24-70 lens, so both examples are not appropriate.

I have shot stills with manual focus lenses on my 5D at 1/10s, ISO 160. There was never any necessity to shoot at 1/4s or slower in most situation. Look at the example below. This was short with a 50mmf1.7 wide open, 1/10s, ISO 160, handheld. Most should know there this bell relic is.

Who would bring a 24-70L to an event to shoot at 1/4s? Is this the main purpose of this lens if there were an IS version?

IMG_3861.JPG

And for all of you who think that IS is not useful/necessary at short focal lengths, remember that people use DSLRs for videos too. So like PrimePhotog said, "The world of photography does not revolve around you".

And for all of you who think that IS is not useful/necessary at short focal lengths, remember that people use DSLRs for videos too. So like PrimePhotog said, "The world of photography does not revolve around you".

I think we were talking in the context of taking photos. Nowhere in our discussion involved videos. If you wish to pick bones and find faults with our discussion you might as well mention also that my grasp of grammar is poor. -.-

Btw the world of photography does not revolve around you, there are dslr which cannot record video too.

Okay since you mentioned, lets start a separate discussion on videos using a lens with IS.......... (i hear groans).

Oh ya i think we all DID acknowledge IS is useful. Please read before posting. Kthx.

Last edited:
I think we really read to much reviews.
I never see any soft image out of 24-70L (there can also be bad copies of prime, someone recently bought 35L and it was lemon).
I can guess prime will be sharper as there are not many focal length there to play with in same lens, but given different situation i think ppl prefer different lens. I like 35L but then i like to take my kids together and some time zoomed on face area. Using 35L i don't think i can achieve it with one lens unless i run near or far to compensate zoom :).
I sold my 24-70L to try prime but end-up i am still stuck so for time being i am using 50f1.8 and loving the IQ.

Well... you cannot blame anyone for reading too much review before purchase... this is a lens that is gonna cost $1K+++ above... and no one like to buy a wrong lens.... if it is let's say.... tissue paper... who is going to read so much review about a pack of tissue????

I remembered someone saying about fake Canon products... so maybe it is possible there's fake L lens??? I still insist of pissing the sales guy when I buy lens... test here and there to ensure I am happy with it... even if I reject the lens, I do not feel embarrassment if I find it questionable......

Prime need a bit more footwork, and even then, you might still not be able to frame properly.... I find 50mm too tight at times... but some have said it is the right lens to shoot with due to it close to our eyes perspective... I take the 35mm (FOV) anytime...

Not planning on any lens to go with your 5D???? 50mm is sharp... but if you do not complain about the bokeh... it is still ok.... sharpness is there... color is not too bad....

Why would anyone say IS is not useful when it has been proven useful? This is not the point here. Also, you will be surprised, when 5d2 was introduced, many were purchasing manual focus lenses, especially the Zeiss and Leicas, just to shoot video.

I love 50 but even on FF it is a bit tight for home :sweat:, i think 35 is the best (35L can be a plus but need more money :D).

I also think 35mm is just right for multi purpose..... not too wide, and not too tele... easier to frame than 28mm and 50mm..... My preferred FOV is 35mm..........

Haha my gf consistently complain about my love for 50mm f1.8. Especially when we are indoor. It gets a bit challenging but i cant yet afford another prime of a lesser focal length. :(

I read that you bought your flash and budget on it.... so just slowly save money for the 35mm F2.... it is really sharp and contrasty little devil.... noisy like a bee buzzing around, but it is fast in AF and light.... build quality is not that well built but reasonable.....

How I wish Canon have a ring USM version for 24 F2.8, 35mm F2 & 50mm F1.4............ :dunno:

Do you think these masters can do it without IS? Hmm... Why do i have a feeling that they can do it without IS?

1/4???? I think they have to use tripod or monopod to get it.... also, shooting at what range??? 24 or 70mm???? All these would affect the shoot.......

I read that you bought your flash and budget on it.... so just slowly save money for the 35mm F2.... it is really sharp and contrasty little devil.... noisy like a bee buzzing around, but it is fast in AF and light.... build quality is not that well built but reasonable.....

How I wish Canon have a ring USM version for 24 F2.8, 35mm F2 & 50mm F1.4............ :dunno:

Yes, that is definitely a lens i will consider coz i do quite alot of indoor shooting.

Well... you cannot blame anyone for reading too much review before purchase... this is a lens that is gonna cost $1K+++ above... and no one like to buy a wrong lens.... if it is let's say.... tissue paper... who is going to read so much review about a pack of tissue????

I remembered someone saying about fake Canon products... so maybe it is possible there's fake L lens??? I still insist of pissing the sales guy when I buy lens... test here and there to ensure I am happy with it... even if I reject the lens, I do not feel embarrassment if I find it questionable......

Prime need a bit more footwork, and even then, you might still not be able to frame properly.... I find 50mm too tight at times... but some have said it is the right lens to shoot with due to it close to our eyes perspective... I take the 35mm (FOV) anytime...

Not planning on any lens to go with your 5D???? 50mm is sharp... but if you do not complain about the bokeh... it is still ok.... sharpness is there... color is not too bad....
This is the reason now i rent before i commit for purchase. I was thinking to go straight and buy 35L but after renting i really miss my 24-70L (but only issue is it is bit heavy on 5D and some time my wife want to take picture then she cannot handle 5D+24-70 :sweat:).
For now i want to wait and see till PHOTOKINA, but 50mm is really giving me some sharp result at 5D2.

This is the reason now i rent before i commit for purchase. I was thinking to go straight and buy 35L but after renting i really miss my 24-70L (but only issue is it is bit heavy on 5D and some time my wife want to take picture then she cannot handle 5D+24-70 :sweat:).
For now i want to wait and see till PHOTOKINA, but 50mm is really giving me some sharp result at 5D2.

Well... I guess you like the 35mm range too.... but the flexibility of a zoom is just too tempting I suppose.... hahaha....... I guess my main lens will always be a zoom, and prime comes in for portrait and low light......

For your spouse... a 5D and 24-70mm is not helpful... maybe get her a pns??? I know of a lady who shoot with 1D and carry a range of L with her... she is a pro... yet still... respect!!!! For someone her frame and size... petite and slim.... I wonder how she does it. It is already challenging for some men.....

But is it hard to just survive on 50mm alone??? If wife is using... a 24-105mm maybe slightly lighter.... are you using grip too??? If with grip, will be heavy..... or get you to pick up body building???? lol.... :bsmilie:

This was short with a 50mmf1.7 wide open, 1/10s, ISO 160, handheld. Most should know there this bell relic is.

Who would bring a 24-70L to an event to shoot at 1/4s? Is this the main purpose of this lens if there were an IS version?

Hi Bro...

Did you shoot this with 50mm F1.4 or F1.8 wide open???? 1/10???

I think if someone need a 24-70 with IS... a mono pod/ tri pod might be a better option.....

Well... hope you strike 4D or something and get your 35mm F2 soon..... :)

Haha saving up man. Eventually i am looking at getting 24-70mm when i start work next year.

Haha saving up man. Eventually i am looking at getting 24-70mm when i start work next year.

Take it slow and steady... and not let it become an obsession.... shoot first, talk later... lol.... :bsmilie:

I think sometimes, we all talk too much here and shoot too little...