E-M10 mark 2 or GX85

I have a similar dilemma as TS.
Currently have the em-5 mk1. However, the body took a fall and now the battery has contact problems. i.e. camera would completely turn off and not turn back on. Jiggling the battery flap would then get the camera to turn back on. Sometimes, if the camera was left "off" for a while, the data/time gets reset which is very annoying as I would need to set the date/time before starting to shoot.

Also, use eye-fi which I transfer to my iPad but this will soon be obsolete as they're removing support for ios11.

So, would like a new body of similar size and the initial choice was E-M5 mkii as an upgrade (and batteries are the same).

However, looking at the price difference between em5 mkii and em10 mkii, seems like the premium that I pay for is mainly for the weather sealing (which I've not really needed). I only use the small non weather sealed primes (P14, O17 f1.8, O45) so am currently biased to the em10 mkii.

However, this thread here made me interested in the GX85. Seems like quite a few people compare between the 2 bodies.
Many of the pros and cons has been mentioned above. I use the video on my cameras quite sparingly as I find using my iphone for videos more convenient.

Got a few questions.
- if I were to take 4K videos on the GX85, could I transfer them to the ipad via the panasonic app?
- is the start-up/boot-up time as well as image playback after shooting a series of shots on the panasonic faster than the olympus? One of the annoyances I had with the em5 mki was slow boot up times (about 2 secs, and I think it was partially due to the eye-fi card as well) and that I couldn't review my images if I took say 10 shots in a row. The writing to SD card icon would blink and I had to wait maybe 5-10 secs before it would respond. Am hoping Olympus on their newer cameras have improved this of maybe this might sway me to the panasonic if they've implemented it better.
- Is there any reason not to go for the GX85 because of my olympus 17 and 45 lens?

FYI, based on what I can find online, EM10 mkii is about 650 body only while GX85 is currently about 100+ more. So I might go for the cheaper body and use the savings for the oly 40-150 tele.

Your EM5, maybe you can try inserting a spacer (like a piece of paper) between door and battery so that the contact can become tighter, it might have been a loose contact.

For the slowness of camera, it could be the eye fi card that you are using, an easy way is just to use a faster SD card to check, it shouldn't take that long to load. Definitely the newer cameras don't have this issue, <1sec is typical.

EM10 III has just been launched with 4K video, so you might just have another option to think about.

i prefer GX85 :)
feel like rangefinder camera, nice BW compare to M10.2
once you use your lumix lens at lumix body, it will amaze you
AF of lumix body is superior, but if you compare for IS, lumix can not beat olympus in this sector :)

Hmm, I only have the P14/2.5 left with me (sold off my P20/1.7 a while back). I use the O17/1.8 and O45/1.8 a lot more, so unsure whether I would be able to see the difference in AF unless I start getting another Panasonic lens.

Wonder what iguoh chose in the end?

BTW, believe the price between EM10 mkii and GX85 are fairly close now. Seems like Panasonic bodies tend to lose value quicker than Oly?

Your EM5, maybe you can try inserting a spacer (like a piece of paper) between door and battery so that the contact can become tighter, it might have been a loose contact.

For the slowness of camera, it could be the eye fi card that you are using, an easy way is just to use a faster SD card to check, it shouldn't take that long to load. Definitely the newer cameras don't have this issue, <1sec is typical.

EM10 III has just been launched with 4K video, so you might just have another option to think about.

Thanks wonglp for the idea of the spacer. I'll give it a try.

I've tried other SD cards as well and they seem slightly faster but unfortunately, I need the eye-fi card for my workflow.

Heard about the EM10 III. Read your useful review as well.
However, the reduction in customization and I think Oly hasn't brought it to SG yet and based off US prices of USD 649, that's a minimum of SGD 870 for body only. Makes the GX85 with lens at 699 currently (thanks to cokecolt) a lot more tempting.

Hmm, I only have the P14/2.5 left with me (sold off my P20/1.7 a while back). I use the O17/1.8 and O45/1.8 a lot more, so unsure whether I would be able to see the difference in AF unless I start getting another Panasonic lens.

Wonder what iguoh chose in the end?

BTW, believe the price between EM10 mkii and GX85 are fairly close now. Seems like Panasonic bodies tend to lose value quicker than Oly?

I am still with my E-M5! The funny thing is I really would like to upgrade but both Olympus and Panasonic are not making it easy for me. My daughter has been bugging me for a vlogging camera so I was seriously looking at the G85. I was holding out for the E-M10mkiii and now that it is out, I am a little underwhelmed. Olympus has taken out some features and seems to be positioning the E-M10 more for beginners than enthusiasts. If it had a new sensor with better image quality, microphone input, I would have gone for it. As it is, the only feature I really would like which is not available on my E-M5 is built-in WiFi. I like the ability to transfer photos to my phone for sharing on social media when I travel. And so, the wait continues...

I've tried other SD cards as well and they seem slightly faster but unfortunately, I need the eye-fi card for my workflow.

However, the reduction in customization and I think Oly hasn't brought it to SG yet and based off US prices of USD 649, that's a minimum of SGD 870 for body only. Makes the GX85 with lens at 699 currently (thanks to cokecolt) a lot more tempting.

SGD699 for the GX85 with lens is a very good deal. That is tempting...

Supposedly Best Denki according to one of the posts in another thread.

Indeed it's at Best Denki. They have the EM10 mkii for the same price with lens as well. Makes it an even harder decision.

Went to try them in hand. Somehow the em10 mkii feels slightly grippier than the GX85 even without the additional grip. Not sure if it's because I'm used to my em5.

Either way, very good prices for pretty good value cameras.

Hmm, GX85+kit for 699 is indeed a fantastic deal!

Indeed it's at Best Denki. They have the EM10 mkii for the same price with lens as well. Makes it an even harder decision.

Went to try them in hand. Somehow the em10 mkii feels slightly grippier than the GX85 even without the additional grip. Not sure if it's because I'm used to my em5.

Either way, very good prices for pretty good value cameras.

I could not find it in the Parkway Parade branch. Their E-M10mkii was not $699 but $998 or something. Which branch did you see this offer?

I could not find it in the Parkway Parade branch. Their E-M10mkii was not $699 but $998 or something. Which branch did you see this offer?

I went Vivo outlet last Saturday and check out the e10 mark and is selling at $698(confirm below $700)

The camera counter has a flyer stand that says e-10 mark 2 selling at $850+ ( the camera with their 5 years extended warranty)

Without the 5 years best extended warranty is would be around $698 without any free gift.

But the counter is run by promoter (or maybe Sony has higher commissions).

I was pass around to 3 salespeople

I starting looking at gx85 and told the 1st salesman that I already had a few m4/3 lens and look for a small system camera for travel.

The sales person told me gx85 very lousy model. Release 1 year and Panasonic start recall the camera back. (I start to play along) And asked him for recommendations and he asked me to try Sony alpha A6300. I reject and say too big. So he show me rx100. Say 1" sensor give good image in low light.

When I told him I look for m4/3 camera he pass me to another 2nd salesperson and start showing me the e10 mark 2.

Try your luck and see if the promo is still on and don't be trick by the promoters.

3rd guy show me Fuji lol.

The sales person told me gx85 very lousy model. Release 1 year and Panasonic start recall the camera back.

Haha! Isn't this a plain lie? Don't recall got such news.

I checked it out a J8 branch (bishan). Noticed that they left existing prices on the counter ($998) but speaking to the sales lady, she said both were $698/699 with a free battery each. They definitely came with their collapsable kit lens as well.

Reactions: kandinsky
I went Vivo outlet last Saturday and check out the e10 mark and is selling at $698(confirm below $700)

The camera counter has a flyer stand that says e-10 mark 2 selling at $850+ ( the camera with their 5 years extended warranty)

Without the 5 years best extended warranty is would be around $698 without any free gift.

But the counter is run by promoter (or maybe Sony has higher commissions).

I was pass around to 3 salespeople

I starting looking at gx85 and told the 1st salesman that I already had a few m4/3 lens and look for a small system camera for travel.

The sales person told me gx85 very lousy model. Release 1 year and Panasonic start recall the camera back. (I start to play along) And asked him for recommendations and he asked me to try Sony alpha A6300. I reject and say too big. So he show me rx100. Say 1" sensor give good image in low light.

When I told him I look for m4/3 camera he pass me to another 2nd salesperson and start showing me the e10 mark 2.

Try your luck and see if the promo is still on and don't be trick by the promoters.

3rd guy show me Fuji lol.

Scary how differently information is being passed around by different branches.

I checked it out a J8 branch (bishan). Noticed that they left existing prices on the counter ($998) but speaking to the sales lady, she said both were $698/699 with a free battery each. They definitely came with their collapsable kit lens as well.

You mean the J8 says that free 2nd battery for

GX85 and E10-Mark2?

Wah vivo told only camera (no case or 2nd batt)

Haha! Isn't this a plain lie? Don't recall got such news.[/

Yeah that why i walk away and KIV my purchase because the outlet was terrible. I been reading GX85 from multiple website (dpreview and etc) nobody talks about recall.. I know he was lie to me.. The last major recall for consumer product was NOTE 7.

Is the GX85 being sold in Best denki have the lens kit included? Quite tempting and I'm torn between OMD EM10 and GX85 as well

Is the GX85 being sold in Best denki have the lens kit included? Quite tempting and I'm torn between OMD EM10 and GX85 as well

As noted earlier, it does. Comes with the 12-32mm lens.

I was having battery connection issues w my EM5 mk 1, cleaned the battery contacts w rubbing alcohol and cotton bud, now works properly.

For wi-fi file transfer, i use Toshiba Flashair, works well for me.