E-M10 mark 2 or GX85

iguoh

Oct 23, 2005
I just sold my Fuji system and plan to focus on MFT since I am quite heavily invested in MFT lenses over the years. I already have the Panasonic 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 14mm 2.5, 25mm 1.4; Olympus 12-50mm kit lens (selling this), 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8. I would like to upgrade my E-M5 body. One of the main features I would like to have is Wi-Fi for quick photo transfer to my smartphone. Both the Olympus and Panasonic cameras support this. My original plan was to upgrade to an E-M1 mark 2 but it is still not available and I think based on current estimated pricing, I may not be able to justify one. I take mostly stills and use my camera for travel and family photos. I would like to resume taking more serious photos though. I like street photography.

I have probably read most of the reviews online and watched several YouTube videos. The GX85 is newer, supports 4k video, no AA filter for supposedly sharper photos. The E-M10 mark 2 has supposedly better Olympus JPEG engine, better in-body stabilisation, probably more familiar to me as a long time Olympus user. I checked out the street prices and both are about the same with kit lenses.

I have read good things about the GX85 and am would like to just check if anyone has gone through this comparison and why you made your decision, whichever way it is. Many thanks.

both cameras are really quite similar in specs being entry level mirrorless with EVF (apart from 4K video on GX85). One thing is you should really hold both camera and try out the menu (esp for Pana) if you can get use to it. and whether it will feel good in your hands, EM10 grip is rather minimal like your EM5, GX85 has a much better grip imo.

since you had Fuji, likely you should not have issues adapting to GX85's EVF on the side.

Since you have more panasonic lenses, I would actually geared more towards GX85 if I were you but still would advice testing it out at stores if there have it to. and the gx85 kit lens 12-32 is actually better than Em10m2, manual zoom though. The IBIS I think Olympus is still better though if O45mm is often used.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps.

both cameras are really quite similar in specs being entry level mirrorless with EVF (apart from 4K video on GX85). One thing is you should really hold both camera and try out the menu (esp for Pana) if you can get use to it. and whether it will feel good in your hands, EM10 grip is rather minimal like your EM5, GX85 has a much better grip imo.

since you had Fuji, likely you should not have issues adapting to GX85's EVF on the side.

Since you have more panasonic lenses, I would actually geared more towards GX85 if I were you but still would advice testing it out at stores if there have it to. and the gx85 kit lens 12-32 is actually better than Em10m2, manual zoom though. The IBIS I think Olympus is still better though if O45mm is often used.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps.

Thanks for the input, WongIp. I am slightly inclined towards the GX85 mostly because it is newer and has a few interesting features like 4k video, a Mono L mode that seems to be getting good reviews, post focus. I also like that you can charge the GX85 directly using a USB cable. My concerns are the JPEG output. Some say that Panasonic has improved their JPEG engine a lot while others stay it is not good so it is quite confusing. The other concern is the EVF which has again mixed reviews - some say OK while other say it is not good.

A progressive update for the E-M5 would be the M5 mark 2 instead of the M10 mark 2.

Would you be disappointed in "stepping down", since you want to take more serious photos?

Just a wandering thought ...

A progressive update for the E-M5 would be the M5 mark 2 instead of the M10 mark 2.

Would you be disappointed in "stepping down", since you want to take more serious photos?

Just a wandering thought ...

Other than weather sealing, which probably will not benefit me much, are there any other key features I will miss by choosing the EM-10ii/GX85 over the E-M5ii?

Thanks for the input, WongIp. I am slightly inclined towards the GX85 mostly because it is newer and has a few interesting features like 4k video, a Mono L mode that seems to be getting good reviews, post focus. I also like that you can charge the GX85 directly using a USB cable. My concerns are the JPEG output. Some say that Panasonic has improved their JPEG engine a lot while others stay it is not good so it is quite confusing. The other concern is the EVF which has again mixed reviews - some say OK while other say it is not good.

Hence best if you can try it yourself...jpeg engine is good for me, compared to GF1 days. haha

Other than weather sealing, which probably will not benefit me much, are there any other key features I will miss by choosing the EM-10ii/GX85 over the E-M5ii?

High resolution if you shoot landscapes, or need that resolution...certainly not a street lens feature. and ability to add a battery grip...u lose the pop up flash though...which can be nifty for traveling for that flash for night portraits + scenery using slow sync.

High resolution if you shoot landscapes, or need that resolution...certainly not a street lens feature. and ability to add a battery grip...u lose the pop up flash though...which can be nifty for traveling for that flash for night portraits + scenery using slow sync.

I don't think I will be using the hi-res feature much. I do like the focus stacking feature which is now available on the GX85 as well though I am not sure who implements it better. Pop-up flash is a good point, that would come in handy when traveling. I don't like the little flash that comes with the E-M5, it is much to cumbersome to attach and detach. I will go and check out the GX85 at the shops to see if I like it. Thanks for the feedback.

OT: it seems to me that traffic on Clubsnap has gone down quite a bit. I am not sure if it is because interest in photography here has generally declined or that forums are less appealing nowadays as a platform.

OT: it seems to me that traffic on Clubsnap has gone down quite a bit. I am not sure if it is because interest in photography here has generally declined or that forums are less appealing nowadays as a platform.

more of the latter I would think with the emergence of social media platforms like facebook and instagram. CS though is still the place to find historical information, imo.

I also had been choosing between these two cameras in past few months. I ended up buying EM10ii.

Advantages of GX85
- 4k and better video features
- Better compatible with my favourite Panasonic wide angle prime lenses
- More customization for function buttons
- Better touch screen interface (but I hate to use tiny touch menu at the right side of the screen to turn on touch AF shutter). Touch AF shutter is quite useful when I get someone who has never handled any kind of DSLR/mirrorless camera before.
- 4k photo features are quite impressive (but I will rarely use them)

Advantages of EM10ii
- Body is slimmer. (just my preference)
- I can add ECG-3 grip for better handling (Although I like small body, I do not like holding a camera weighed more than 400 g with only 3 fingers). For GX85, I can only find expensive 3rd party JB grip.
- I like Olympus JPEG more than Panasonic (Since I mostly shot with RAW, it is not a big factor in making decision)
- More customization for dial

GX85 EVF which is same as my previous GX7 is another major factor. Although it is bigger than EM10ii's EVF, I do not like its visibility under bright sunlight while wearing glasses. I mainly use EVF when I cannot see screen under sunlight but when EVF also fails to serve, I have to shoot blindly. I heard it can be improved by changing eyecup to bigger one but I have never tried.

I chose EM10ii mainly because of my preference in handling and EVF. I was very tempted to get G85. However, since price difference is quite substantial, I bought EM10ii.

I also had been choosing between these two cameras in past few months. I ended up buying EM10ii.

Advantages of GX85
- Better touch screen interface (but I hate to use tiny touch menu at the right side of the screen to turn on touch AF shutter). Touch AF shutter is quite useful when I get someone who has never handled any kind of DSLR/mirrorless camera before.

Advantages of EM10ii
- I can add ECG-3 grip for better handling (Although I like small body, I do not like holding a camera weighed more than 400 g with only 3 fingers). For GX85, I can only find expensive 3rd party JB grip.
- I like Olympus JPEG more than Panasonic (Since I mostly shot with RAW, it is not a big factor in making decision)

GX85 EVF which is same as my previous GX7 is another major factor. Although it is bigger than EM10ii's EVF, I do not like its visibility under bright sunlight while wearing glasses. I mainly use EVF when I cannot see screen under sunlight but when EVF also fails to serve, I have to shoot blindly. I heard it can be improved by changing eyecup to bigger one but I have never tried.

I chose EM10ii mainly because of my preference in handling and EVF. I was very tempted to get G85. However, since price difference is quite substantial, I bought EM10ii.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am still undecided. Did you try both cameras out before making your decision? Is the EVF on the GX85 really that bad? Same for the JPEGs.

Advantages of GX85

Advantages of EM10ii

It is interesting that you have the GX7 and you went with the E-M10ii while I have the E-M5 and I am thinking of getting the GX85. Are you planning to keep your GX7?

I also used to have EM5. Both EM10ii and GX85 will be better than EM5 except weather-sealing and probably built-quality. Almost zero shutter shock, IBIS support for video, timelapse, focus peaking and electronic shutter are obvious improvements. IQ-wise, I do not notice any difference. I feel that EM5's built quality is actually better than EM10ii.

GX7 EVF is not that bad but it struggles under bright sunlight. Probably it is because I wear glasses.

For all rounded one, you can consider G85. Weather-sealed, deeper-grip, bigger EVF and better video features (flat profile like cinelike-D and cinelike-V are exclusive to G-series and GH-series cameras but no log profile in G-series).

I forgot to mention "focus peaking" in the comparison. Focus peaking in Panasonic camera is much better than Olympus counterpart (not sure about EM1ii though)

I was deciding between the m10 mk II and the Sony rx100 iv. In the end decided on the omd. Went down to best denki, brought home a GX8 instead 🤔

Promo price $1288 with kit lens, seemed too good to pass up.

I also used to have EM5. Both EM10ii and GX85 will be better than EM5 except weather-sealing and probably built-quality. Almost zero shutter shock, IBIS support for video, timelapse, focus peaking and electronic shutter are obvious improvements. IQ-wise, I do not notice any difference. I feel that EM5's built quality is actually better than EM10ii.

GX7 EVF is not that bad but it struggles under bright sunlight. Probably it is because I wear glasses.

For all rounded one, you can consider G85. Weather-sealed, deeper-grip, bigger EVF and better video features (flat profile like cinelike-D and cinelike-V are exclusive to G-series and GH-series cameras but no log profile in G-series).

I forgot to mention "focus peaking" in the comparison. Focus peaking in Panasonic camera is much better than Olympus counterpart (not sure about EM1ii though)

The G85 is definitely more feature rich compared with the GX85 but sacrificing size of course. I did not shortlist that because I wanted something more compact. Otherwise, I would have also shortlisted the E-M1ii. The Pen-F would have been ideal but I feel it is more style than substance and is overpriced for what it offers.

One of the reasons I did not upgrade my E-M5 to E-M5ii was because I did not feel the incremental upgrades were worth upgrading. It seems that image quality wise, MFT has somewhat peaked. That could be the reason why E-M1ii's focus is on action photography. The main reason why I gave up on FF DSLR and moved completely to MFT is size and weight. I hope both Olympus and Panasonic will develop "pro" range cameras but not increasing the size. This is also the reason why the GX8 is not in my shortlist as well.

I went to a shop to take a look at the GX85 and somehow, the camera didn't really speak to me. The camera was heavier than I expected, feels OK but somehow - bland, for lack of a better word. I am sure the features are great but I just did not feel like it was something I really wanted to buy. I think I will hold out for a while. Maybe I will just go for the E-M1ii when prices eventually fall, hopefully in six months.

I went to a shop to take a look at the GX85 and somehow, the camera didn't really speak to me. The camera was heavier than I expected, feels OK but somehow - bland, for lack of a better word. I am sure the features are great but I just did not feel like it was something I really wanted to buy. I think I will hold out for a while. Maybe I will just go for the E-M1ii when prices eventually fall, hopefully in six months.

If its a EM1 II, the price disparity between a GX85 and it is quite significantly. Maybe U can consider the EM5 II too as by the next 6 months it would be considered close to a year plus old release.

If its a EM1 II, the price disparity between a GX85 and it is quite significantly. Maybe U can consider the EM5 II too as by the next 6 months it would be considered close to a year plus old release.

I think it is a case of me wanting to justify my purchase. I have my E-M5 for a while now and it is still working fine. Selling it on CS won't get me much so I might as well keep it as a second body. The E-M5 II is just too similar to the E-M5. Originally, I thought the GX85 would be a good in-between: affordable, better video than my E-M5, relatively compact, some nice cool features. But somehow, I just didn't like it. Maybe I will consider the E-M10 II but again, I am not sure if I will get anything more than my E-M5...

I think it is a case of me wanting to justify my purchase. I have my E-M5 for a while now and it is still working fine. Selling it on CS won't get me much so I might as well keep it as a second body. The E-M5 II is just too similar to the E-M5. Originally, I thought the GX85 would be a good in-between: affordable, better video than my E-M5, relatively compact, some nice cool features. But somehow, I just didn't like it. Maybe I will consider the E-M10 II but again, I am not sure if I will get anything more than my E-M5...

I have a similar dilemma as TS.
Currently have the em-5 mk1. However, the body took a fall and now the battery has contact problems. i.e. camera would completely turn off and not turn back on. Jiggling the battery flap would then get the camera to turn back on. Sometimes, if the camera was left "off" for a while, the data/time gets reset which is very annoying as I would need to set the date/time before starting to shoot.

Also, use eye-fi which I transfer to my iPad but this will soon be obsolete as they're removing support for ios11.

So, would like a new body of similar size and the initial choice was E-M5 mkii as an upgrade (and batteries are the same).

However, looking at the price difference between em5 mkii and em10 mkii, seems like the premium that I pay for is mainly for the weather sealing (which I've not really needed). I only use the small non weather sealed primes (P14, O17 f1.8, O45) so am currently biased to the em10 mkii.

However, this thread here made me interested in the GX85. Seems like quite a few people compare between the 2 bodies.
Many of the pros and cons has been mentioned above. I use the video on my cameras quite sparingly as I find using my iphone for videos more convenient.

Got a few questions.
- if I were to take 4K videos on the GX85, could I transfer them to the ipad via the panasonic app?
- is the start-up/boot-up time as well as image playback after shooting a series of shots on the panasonic faster than the olympus? One of the annoyances I had with the em5 mki was slow boot up times (about 2 secs, and I think it was partially due to the eye-fi card as well) and that I couldn't review my images if I took say 10 shots in a row. The writing to SD card icon would blink and I had to wait maybe 5-10 secs before it would respond. Am hoping Olympus on their newer cameras have improved this of maybe this might sway me to the panasonic if they've implemented it better.
- Is there any reason not to go for the GX85 because of my olympus 17 and 45 lens?

FYI, based on what I can find online, EM10 mkii is about 650 body only while GX85 is currently about 100+ more. So I might go for the cheaper body and use the savings for the oly 40-150 tele.

i prefer GX85 :)
feel like rangefinder camera, nice BW compare to M10.2
once you use your lumix lens at lumix body, it will amaze you
AF of lumix body is superior, but if you compare for IS, lumix can not beat olympus in this sector :)