E-M1 shutter issue.

Hong Jia

Feb 28, 2004
Just wondering if any of the peepz here got this problem before.

My E-M1 was like less than 2 years and I don't have a high shutter count on it but shutter sort of having some problems. After taking a shot, the shutter refuse to retract up. I wonder if this is a common problem with E-M1.

Mine was out of warranty and need to pay for the repairs but I never got any problems with my panny even though they are 5 years old, this was my first Olympus m4/3 body.

I don't think it is a common problem, or there'll be news about it somehow. My E-M1 is approaching 1 year old and no issues. Shutter having issues, or any cameras having any issues can happen at anytime, it can be brand new, it can be 10 years old.

I don't think I even hit 5k on it and it is faulty, aint they suppose to last at least 50k... I din even hit 10%. Maybe the QC isn't that good. The most important part dying so soon and need to pay at least $167 for it and it is less than 2 yrs nia and current model...

Just not very happy.

Last edited:
I don't think I even hit 5k on it and it is faulty, aint they suppose to last at least 50k... I din even hit 10%. Maybe the QC isn't that good. The most important part dying so soon and need to pay at least $167 for it and it is less than 2 yrs nia and current model...

Just not very happy.

Just suay lor, I paid a lot for earphones, although 2nd hand, about a year die already, can't even repair and it's not cheap even though it's 2nd hand. If QC isn't that good, more people would have problems with it

I don't think I even hit 5k on it and it is faulty, aint they suppose to last at least 50k... I din even hit 10%. Maybe the QC isn't that good. The most important part dying so soon and need to pay at least $167 for it and it is less than 2 yrs nia and current model... Just not very happy.

The shutter is definitely designed and made to last more than 5000 hits but of course in real life , there's too many factors to account for like usage habits etc.

Though it may be sad that servicing is needed ; look on the bright side - it's around $100++ to get a camera all properly serviced & working , and u get a camera that's now even more powerful with ver 4 firmware.

I had the same problem on the em1 with 8 months of usage. Olympus engineer told me it the shutter problem. $165 to replace the shutter if out of warranty.

Shutters, like hard disks, are moving parts. They have a rated average lifespan, but that's average life within a certain range of usage. Some people will get a 100k life span out of it, and some might get 5000.

$165 to replace an out of warranty shutter is very reasonable.

Shutters, like hard disks, are moving parts. They have a rated average lifespan, but that's average life within a certain range of usage. Some people will get a 100k life span out of it, and some might get 5000.

$165 to replace an out of warranty shutter is very reasonable.
Considering what canon or nikon charges to replace the shutter assembly for an equivalent pro model, Olympus charges are reasonable for sure.

In the end, the shutter they changed is 36 but they charged 100 for service charge. How inproportionate.

In the end, the shutter they changed is 36 but they charged 100 for service charge. How inproportionate.

Part machine manufacture is cheap, man hours and service takes time, how is it disproportionate? Nikon charged me almost 90 bucks to repair a few stuff (I forgot what it was), most of the bill is also the service, and the parts, even though there's a few, is really cheap per part

And it's not inpropportionate, I read it as inappropriate until I realize what I'm reading and what you're trying to say

Last edited: