E-3 noise level

Status
Not open for further replies.

kongming

Dec 6, 2006
hi, recently got the E3, love it...
but i found that the noise is quite obvious if set to ISO800.

may i know is there any setting that can make it lower noise apart from using sftware?
cos tis never happen on my previous D80. it take beauty picture even @ ISO800. but my E3 .... really dissapoited me.

thanks for the fast reply...

may i know is there any setting that can make it lower noise apart from using sftware?
cos tis never happen on my previous D80. it take beauty picture even @ ISO800. but my E3 .... really dissapoited me.

High noise @ ISO800? Hmm. I find it pretty alright. Did you set noise filter to Off? If so, maybe turn it to Low. How long was your exposure? :)

also, a proper exposed photo will show much less noise than a underexpose one, so it may help if you shoot slightly increase on the exposure or on the spot.

Not much choices here. ISO 800 is the upper limit I use. Despite the relentless chanting in this forum. I don't find the noise looking anything like film grain, it's hideous and distracting. Personally, I just shoot in RAW and clean it up using software.

I must do some hard pixel peeping to see noise in a properly exposed image at ISO800, but I never had the D80, so I can't say which. Anyway, looking at images at 100% is pointless. Look at them in the size you intend to print them. But yes, the E-3 images can be made noisy if you set up the camera the wrong way.

I use mine with gragation and noise filter set normal, NR off.

Post an image so we can have a look and say if what we see is normal or not. Probably not normal if you think it is bad.

Not much choices here. ISO 800 is the upper limit I use. Despite the relentless chanting in this forum. I don't find the noise looking anything like film grain, it's hideous and distracting. Personally, I just shoot in RAW and clean it up using software.

Well, there's a simple reason for this "chanting".

Oly shooters don't usually care much for noise.

Hmmmm......did you turn off the noise filter? Try shooting at ISO 400 (same noisy scene) and see if it's as noisy.

I dont know man, I mean ISO800 and expect as smooth as ISO200?
Imagine ISO800 in film camera. Olympus ISO is realistic.
It makes you think more as a photographer.

Agreed,I like noise actually,especially recently,I'm sure some do as well

I agree

Check your Gradation setting. Set it to Normal instead of Auto. ISO 800 with at least low or standard noise filter.

Really? Oh, hang on. I am an Oly user too.

No no. You must be a fanboy, not just a mere user...

If I am a fanboy. Olympus is doomed. To at least qualify. One should sit in their underwear inventing statistics and calling others names.

Reminder:

Please take your personal issues private. Thank you.

Last edited:
* Stands around with a bucket of ice *

imagine dust on ccd, nikon/canon/ etc etc dust is realistic

it makes u think more as a photographer.

my point is, olympus has some advantages over the other brands, but also some weaknesses. i'd rather not have noise than to have "realistic" noise, no offence

Actually I don't see how dust or noise makes anyone think more as a photographer. :dunno:

Actually I don't see how dust or noise makes anyone think more as a photographer. :dunno:

More a thinking photographer.
Previously just snap snap snap put all as auto.
Now must think, OK I have to use A mode and put the F number smaller.
Need to shoot from this side rather than that side (angle) and frame it based on the availability of light, contrast.
Have the right ear - can listen to the click sound and no need to see the picture, if press button and hear click some time after that, under certain light condition, and the F-number then you will know - no need to chimp, that that file can be deleted (blur) when you hand hold without IS. With IS then may be need to chimp, depending on the delay and if the subject is also still or not. :bsmilie:
this way we can no need to always put at high ISO.

Status
Not open for further replies.