E-3 noise level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say film-like noise. I said that the noise was film-like.

When I started photography, ISO 400 was high speed film. ISO 1000 and 1600 film was much worse than the worst dSLRs now. E-3, E-420, and E-520 all give noise that is like film. Truthfully, even the best film I've seen never became as sharp as the best digital equipment.

I think nikkie mis-read your post, nothing more... and yes, I have to agree, I think we are already so blessed with the gear that we have at the moment... in fact, in terms of sharpness, most digital equipment today even high end compacts can yield amazing results from the likes of Sigma DP-1, to Ricoh GRII or even the new Lumix LX3 (drakon09, DROOL!!!!)

Last night at our kopi session, we had a discussion on this and was glad to see the response and the fire in the eyes of some of you guys, when we decided to focus on photography and become better photographers. I think that is the way to go. For those who wants to understand better post processing skills, let's discuss this once again when we have more meet up. If you are interested, let's look for a place where there are computers set up with Photoshop and we can then have small workshops. Bring your images on CD/Thumbdrives and we can experiment and work together to work on better processing to improve on the image. This whole sensor discussion sometimes makes me feel if I am in a photography forum, or am I in the wrong forums for sensor designers/makers.

I would love to talk about the art of photography more, instead of talking about the gear. It is good to discuss enough to understand how to better handle the gear, but there must be a line drawn before we head towards gear-whoring. Gear whoring will never make one a better photographer.

I feel like buying a laptop, go to the kopi session and let you teach me the techniques. The 12-60 will let me take 95% of the pictures I want at the moment.

I feel like buying a laptop, go to the kopi session and let you teach me the techniques. The 12-60 will let me take 95% of the pictures I want at the moment.

LOL. I would love to share... but make sure you buy a Mac... I am totally on Macs again... no more Wintel machines for me again...

I didn't say film-like noise. I said that the noise was film-like.

When I started photography, ISO 400 was high speed film. ISO 1000 and 1600 film was much worse than the worst dSLRs now. E-3, E-420, and E-520 all give noise that is like film. Truthfully, even the best film I've seen never became as sharp as the best digital equipment.

true la. even the weakest DSLR is able to output image which looks cleaner than prints processed from film. so we are all much more picky than during film camera days.

3. If you are a paparazzi (a real working one, not stealing a shot on a cute girl on the street) then noise is the LEAST of your problems, the image that counts. You STILL will get paid for the shot of getting the image of your subject.

This is good :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.