E-1 5mp Vs E-300 8mp


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2005
11
0
0
#1
Dear All,
I am currently a SLR user and would like to switch to DSLR system. I intend to get the E-1 but some kinda issue just confused me.

The E-1 is a higher end system than E-300, but why is it that it only has 5mp whereas E-300 has 8mp?

will that make alot of difference in printed photos with the extra 3mp?

I'm kinda new to the digital world, please bear with me if my question sounds stupid to all the digital big brothers here. Thanks alot for your help...

he he
 

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
2,927
0
0
#2
I am also intending to get a E1 or E300. dunno if there will be offers in the upcoming IT show.

depending on what you want for your photos. Do you print large prints? I know that 6MP can already go pretty large to A3 size so 5MP is also ok for me. Unless you print larger than A3 then maybe you need 8MP. In fact it is a "plus" as the post processing is faster. I know I can set lower res for E300 but if I get a 8MP cam, I will probably shoot in 8MP :)

Do you know the best offer for E1 now?
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#3
The MP simply determines the size you could print up to without sacrificing quality. The reason why E-300 is equipped with a 8MP sensor is probably because the sensor was available at the point at a reasonable price point. When E-1 was produced, 8MP sensors are probably prohibitive in costs.
 

ykkok

New Member
Feb 24, 2004
532
0
0
#4
The E-1 is designed for Professional use where it's:

1. More rugged with Mag-alloy casing
2. Weather proof body
3. Higher Dynamic range with larger pixel and FFT CCD.
4. Dust-reduction for changing lenses in field with minimal fuss.

The larger pixel in E-1 than E-300 means better sensitivity and Dynamic range, and it's got an external WB sensor for more accurate auto WB.

As mentioned by mpenza, higher MP allows you to make better large prints.

Look at the following thread you'll find that E-1 is widely used by professional too:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=14351702

Just my 2 cents.
 

tao

Senior Member
Jan 7, 2005
3,770
1
38
Beach Road
#5
wind30 said:
I am also intending to get a E1 or E300. dunno if there will be offers in the upcoming IT show.

depending on what you want for your photos. Do you print large prints? I know that 6MP can already go pretty large to A3 size so 5MP is also ok for me. Unless you print larger than A3 then maybe you need 8MP. In fact it is a "plus" as the post processing is faster. I know I can set lower res for E300 but if I get a 8MP cam, I will probably shoot in 8MP :)

Do you know the best offer for E1 now?
interesting. what makes you give up on your KM 7D to go for an Olympus? will be good to hear your comments.

i am asking as I am considering between an Oly E-300 and the new KM 5D.
 

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
2,927
0
0
#6
I sold the 7D because of the weight. I travelled for 20 days with the 7D + 20mm + 28-75mm lens + sony handycam. In the end, I decided I need something lighter. And also the focusing does not seem accurate. It could be my technique though as I just learnt that focusing and recomposing (which I always do) lead to focus errors.

Does anyone see E1 for sale recently? Went to AP funan today, no stock for the E1. MScolor quote me $2690 and must order somemore. seems to me hard to find E1.
 

ykkok

New Member
Feb 24, 2004
532
0
0
#7
Just asked last 2 weeks, CP is selling at $2400 with 14-54mm and 1GB CF card.

Yes, I usually carry along a viewcam as well during travel. So I need something light too. The Olympus 4/3 system is just nice in terms of weight and quality. For travelling, you may want to consider these combos:

1. 14-54mm (f2.8-3.5) + 40-150mm (f3.5-4.5) or
2. 11-22mm (f2.8-3.5) + 40-150mm (f3.5-4.5)
 

tao

Senior Member
Jan 7, 2005
3,770
1
38
Beach Road
#8
wind30 said:
I sold the 7D because of the weight. I travelled for 20 days with the 7D + 20mm + 28-75mm lens + sony handycam. In the end, I decided I need something lighter. And also the focusing does not seem accurate. It could be my technique though as I just learnt that focusing and recomposing (which I always do) lead to focus errors.

Does anyone see E1 for sale recently? Went to AP funan today, no stock for the E1. MScolor quote me $2690 and must order somemore. seems to me hard to find E1.
I see... I have read abt the focusing issues with the 7D so it may not be your technique. Not sure if the 5D have same problem.

As for the E1, you can check it out at TCW. Think their pricing is one of the best for it.
 

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
2,927
0
0
#9
ykkok said:
Just asked last 2 weeks, CP is selling at $2400 with 14-54mm and 1GB CF card.

Yes, I usually carry along a viewcam as well during travel. So I need something light too. The Olympus 4/3 system is just nice in terms of weight and quality. For travelling, you may want to consider these combos:

1. 14-54mm (f2.8-3.5) + 40-150mm (f3.5-4.5) or
2. 11-22mm (f2.8-3.5) + 40-150mm (f3.5-4.5)
actually I am thinking of just the E1 and 15-54mm :) the 40-150mm is not weather seal right? Then I dun care if it rain or not also can take pictures. Overseas a lot of those kind of little rain here and there... I was kind of worried for my minolta 7D everytime it rained so I wanted to get something weather proof.

the 50-200mm is VERY EX... there isn't a cheap weather sealed tele lens for 4/3 right?


TCW?? never shopped there b4 but read some bad comments on clubsnap regarding parallel import. Is there E1 parallel import one? got problem claiming warranty or not?
 

cosycatus

Senior Member
Jun 9, 2004
1,132
0
36
#10
there was a thread a while back about ordering E-1 from australia.
Cost about $1200, which is a lot cheaper than in Singapore.

Anyway word has it that a new E will be out, maybe with anti-shake technology.
 

ykkok

New Member
Feb 24, 2004
532
0
0
#11
Yes, the 40-150 is not weather proof but it's light enough to carry around, and it delivers up to 300mm equivalent field-of-view (fov) in 35mm.

50-200 is only about 1Kg and it's one of the best lens out there. Although not fixed aperture, but it's able to maintain f2.8 up to 92mm (184mm FOV), which I think it's very impressive (in such a size). I own 40-150, but seriously thinking to get the 50-200mm for faster and longer reach. Also, it's much sharper at the tele-end. With these qualities and feature, the 50-200 is well worth the price.

I think Spore price for the E-1 has dropped considerably. The 14-54mm costs $800, then the E-1 body is only $1500, minus the 1GB CF which costs roughly $100.
 

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
2,927
0
0
#12
cosycatus said:
there was a thread a while back about ordering E-1 from australia.
Cost about $1200, which is a lot cheaper than in Singapore.

Anyway word has it that a new E will be out, maybe with anti-shake technology.
ya I think it worked out to be $1400 with the 14-45 lens. It is cheaper by around $100 and you get the 14-45 lens which is hard to sell :)

See if I can bargain the 14-54 and E-1 + 1GB to $2300. Anyone want to join forces to bargain? :)
 

Jul 24, 2005
11
0
0
#13
thanks for all the replies,
anyone of you know exactly for a 5mp pic, how big can i print it out without having the quality sacrificed?

i saw the promotion in malaysia RM 5999 for the 14-54 and 40-150 bundle.
is the price ok?
 

Nov 13, 2003
691
0
0
32
Sg
#15
joshuatan1984 said:
thanks for all the replies,
anyone of you know exactly for a 5mp pic, how big can i print it out without having the quality sacrificed?

i saw the promotion in malaysia RM 5999 for the 14-54 and 40-150 bundle.
is the price ok?
because of the 4/3 image ratio compared to 2/3, by the time u crop, example being 2/3 ratio(c/n/km...) to 8R(8x10 inch) and the 4/3(e-1) to 8R, you would have almost as many pixels as a 6mpix c/n/km/p.. btw onli 4R fits the 2/3 perfectly.. once u go bigger the 4/3 crops out less....
so ur 5 mpix hardly lose out to the current crop of 6mpix cameras wrt megapixels... color/dynamic range/color graduation/pixel quality wise u be the judge... u can try browsing www.myfourthirds.com too....
 

#16
I travelled for 1 mth in China from Shanghai up all the way to Beijing and back again with my E300 kit lens and the 40 - 150 telephoto. Boy do i ever love my E300 more! esp the sswf! dust could be a prob on the viewfinder though. see my pics frm the link in my sig. All taken with E300, cept for the black and white, they were with my yashica 35gsn. Ok i know my post is out of topic but then another testimonial from another happy e300 user. its really a sleeper among giants!
 

#17
stnicholas81 said:
I travelled for 1 mth in China from Shanghai up all the way to Beijing and back again with my E300 kit lens and the 40 - 150 telephoto. Boy do i ever love my E300 more! esp the sswf! dust could be a prob on the viewfinder though. see my pics frm the link in my sig. All taken with E300, cept for the black and white, they were with my yashica 35gsn. Ok i know my post is out of topic but then another testimonial from another happy e300 user. its really a sleeper among giants!
you can select B&W function in the camera. normally i will assign the ok button for quick access to it or back to colour. for more grainy B&W feel, just use iso 1600, smaller aperture & nd filter.:D
 

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
2,927
0
0
#18
got my E-1 + 14-54 + 1GB + tripod + bag for $2350 nett (cash payment) from cathay photo :) :)

I am now an official olympus owner :)
 

chii

New Member
Nov 30, 2004
802
0
0
SG
chiong.smugmug.com
#19
wind30 said:
got my E-1 + 14-54 + 1GB + tripod + bag for $2350 nett (cash payment) from cathay photo :) :)

I am now an official olympus owner :)
welcome to the club..
now u can shoot in the rain. :p
 

ykkok

New Member
Feb 24, 2004
532
0
0
#20
I just came back from CP, they still quoted me $2400. Seems like you've got a better relationship with them! ;)

Ya, you don't have to run or cover your camera and can continue shooting. Imagine, if you visit Thailand's famous water festival, you can join in and shoot as well.

E-1 simply means more shooting possibilities.. how I envy you...
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom